Dan Abnett on Missing Primarchs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 08:55 AM
Craw-Daddy

post #3 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 10:55 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think it would be a terrible idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

post #4 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 01:25 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

well, its interesting thought

i know that i shouldnt know what happened, but i want to still...at least the reason for 1 of them to be expunged or chapter colors or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #5 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
I think it would be a terrible idea.
Dude it would be awesome.

This whole missing primarchs bit just so players can make awful fluff of their own has been milked for far too long in my opinion.

It's time for two awesome Primarchs to come out, it's been like what twenty+ years since their conception?

The current state of WH40k's post-heresy story can't stay this way forever, some groundbreaking changes have to come by *cough* revival of the emperor *cough*

For now, they need to expand heavily on the fluff behind Peretuboro, Khan, and Vulcan, these three more so than the rest.
post #6 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 01:40 PM
Bane of Empires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Dude it would be awesome.

This whole missing primarchs bit just so players can make awful fluff of their own has been milked for far too long in my opinion.

It's time for two awesome Primarchs to come out, it's been like what twenty+ years since their conception?
Revealing the missing Primarchs in a genuine and believable way without it drastically changing both the 30k & 40k backgrounds is a near-impossibility in my opinion.

They were originally concieved as a means for players to create theories/Legions/Chapters related to the II and XI Legions, and thats how I believe they should stay. The Heresy series shouldn't reveal every single long-standing mystery.

And even if background for them was created/revealed (created is probably the more accurate word as GW or BL never did create background intended for release concerning both of the Lost Primarchs) then it would draw a lot of opposition, even among people who thought it was a good idea to reveal them in the first place, but who thought it was done in a sloppy/unbelievable way.

Quote:
The current state of WH40k's post-heresy story can't stay this way forever, some groundbreaking changes have to come by *cough* revival of the emperor *cough*
Well, Yes it can. 40k has always been a setting, not a progressional storyline. We also have 10,000 years of relatively unexplored history to explore first.

Anyway, thats just my thoughts.

Quote:
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
post #7 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 01:43 PM

screenedwings's Flag is: Netherlands

interesting
post #8 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Revealing the missing Primarchs in a genuine and believable way without it drastically changing both the 30k & 40k backgrounds is a near-impossibility in my opinion.
Well GW has a history of ret-cons and what not.

People may complain but eventually they will give in to change. For example, the HH series are becoming the new official canon, displacing older bits of info supposedly set in stone.

Quote:
They were originally concieved as a means for players to create theories/Legions/Chapters related to the II and XI Legions, and thats how I believe they should stay. The Heresy series shouldn't reveal every single long-standing mystery.
I don't think revealing the two missing Primarchs or at least answering why they were erased from Imperial records (despite legions that turned to Chaos not) would unveil every mystery of the pre-heresy.

Quote:
And even if background for them was created/revealed (created is probably the more accurate word as GW or BL never did create background intended for release concerning both of the Lost Primarchs) then it would draw a lot of opposition, even among people who thought it was a good idea to reveal them in the first place, but who thought it was done in a sloppy/unbelievable way.

I'm pretty sure Dan or another author of such fame would be the ones handling the story. Above all GW is a business and they will, as they often have, put aside fluff set in stone in favor of more profit (ie. retcons)

Quote:
Well, Yes it can. 40k has always been a setting, not a progressional storyline. We also have 10,000 years of relatively unexplored history to explore first.
Do you honestly think that the current storyline will remain the same or not undergo huge changes for long?

True there are large gaps in the WH40k universe that have not been explored yet but who is to say they can't be tied in conveniently with the storylines of the two missing primarchs?

It would be like hitting two birds with one stone and once the dust has settled, rampant changes can occur and keep the series fresh and not stagnant

My 2 cents.
post #9 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 01:57 PM

primeministersinsiter's Flag is: Canada

I think we can learn their fate rather than who they are and it would be fine. I think if they were destroyed before the set foot outside of their 'eggs' that would be fine.

"You left the objective? I see you have the tactical genuis of a soap dish."
post #10 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 02:04 PM
Bane of Empires

Quote:
People may complain but eventually they will give in to change. For example, the HH series are becoming the new official canon, displacing older bits of info supposedly set in stone.
Well technically speaking, its not the 'new official canon' as everything with a GW/BL/Warhammer/Sabertooth etc stamp on it is 'official canon' - its just that most fans nowadays tend to take the Heresy novels over older established sources.

Quote:
I don't think revealing the two missing Primarchs or at least answering why they were erased from Imperial records (despite legions that turned to Chaos not) would unveil every mystery of the pre-heresy.
No, it wouldn't. And I didn't mean it like that. I meant that some mysteries are best left as mysteries.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Dan or another author of such fame would be the ones handling the story. Above all GW is a business and they will, as they often have, put aside fluff set in stone in favor of more profit (ie. retcons)
Well, so far throughout the Heresy Series we have been given a few tidbits on the Lost Legions (in Mechanicum for example) and for me that is enough. Its enough to keep us interested, but not enough to ruin the mystery.

Just remember as well though that GW makes most of its money from the TT game/Models, and is focused mainly on them. A few background retcons (unless major ones) doesn't really effect model sales.

And although Abnett is a good author and one of BL's best, that doesn't mean he can pull off every major challenge you set him. Hes not Tolkien after all

Quote:
Do you honestly think that the current storyline will remain the same or not undergo huge changes for long?
Yes I do, and I believe time will prove me right. Currently we are in 999.M41 (The Time of Ending) - We have the Third War for Armageddon, Thirteenth Black Crusade, The Golden Throne failing and several other Major events ongoing, and in some cases unconclusive.

GW has put the background literally on a precipice, a few more years and the Imperium could change drastically. The Emperor will never be revived, the Primarchs will never return, the same old grimdark and stagnant 40k setting will continue. It would be too much of a business risk otherwise, and any major background change (like bringing Primarchs/Emperor back) would also greatly effect the TableTop Game and therefore their sales revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeministersinsiter View Post
I think we can learn their fate rather than who they are and it would be fine. I think if they were destroyed before the set foot outside of their 'eggs' that would be fine.
You mean if they were killed in infancy? Well Background material tells us that Twenty Primarchs were discovered and all fought in the Great Crusade.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode