Dan Abnett on Missing Primarchs - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 07:24 PM

Unknown Primarch's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
Revealing the missing Primarchs in a genuine and believable way without it drastically changing both the 30k & 40k backgrounds is a near-impossibility in my opinion.
how can it drastically change the background of the fluff when their story would have to fit around the current fluff anyway? any ideas put forward and released wouldnt be allowed to do that and the stories would only get released if they were really topnotch anyway.

i dont think revealing alpharius to be a twin has anything bad and it changed things in a sense but added something new and totally great.

revealing the unknowns is long overdue and would really add something new and quite great to the current fluff in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-09-10, 10:17 PM
Craw-Daddy

I want to know the secrets of the lost primarchs before i die, thats for sure. I think it'll be a hard thing to do, but I think if they do any literature on it, it would definitley be a good piece of literature. I definitley think it would change the 40k universe but not to the extent of what the horus heresy has done and will be doing.

People fear the two primarchs. "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate... leads to suffering. I feel much fear on this topic."
post #23 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 12:21 AM

zeroblackstar's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3k3000 View Post
I think some mysteries are better left unanswered an some mysteries really ought to have answers. I want to know why there's a blood war, what the Lady of Pain really is, and all that rot. The missing primarchs I don't care too much about, but letting continuity and progress go stagnent for the sake of sales is, from an artistic standpoint, a poor idea. I think something big needs to change in the setting.
Planescape: Torment? Love it.

Nothing drastic has changed about the 40k fluff for donkeys years really. I cant see it changing anytime soon.

There is deliberately no climactic event on the horizon, i.e the emperor making a comeback. As has been already pointed out, this jeopardizes the franchise.

Besides, in the grim darkness of the future, there is only war.

and inflation. war and inflation.

post #24 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 12:23 AM

And taxes.

All of this has happened before.
post #25 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 12:29 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I for one would be happy with a few hints as to what happened to the 2nd and 11th. Don't need the whole story but a bit of an indication would be enough for me.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #26 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 02:39 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
1) We don't particularly care if you dislike BL's most popular author, though thanks for sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Sanguinius View Post
1) I don't particularly care if you don't particularly care if I dislike BL's most popular author, though thanks for sharing
Touche

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
I for one would be happy with a few hints as to what happened to the 2nd and 11th. Don't need the whole story but a bit of an indication would be enough for me.
That is what I would find perfectly adequate, im all up for the subtle hints we've been getting so far (like in Mechanicum) - to keep up interest, but thats as far as I would want it to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Primarch View Post
how can it drastically change the background of the fluff when their story would have to fit around the current fluff anyway?
Thats why I said in a 'genuine or believable' way

Quote:
any ideas put forward and released wouldnt be allowed to do that and the stories would only get released if they were really topnotch anyway.
Several BL novels and authors stand as testament to the contrary.

Quote:
i dont think revealing alpharius to be a twin has anything bad and it changed things in a sense but added something new and totally great.
Well going on what Abnett said in the interview, the concept of Alpharius being a twin was always intended, even from the beginning. Also the point is that the revelation of Alpharius Omegon doesn't change the background drastically, and was still done in a believable way, I remain skeptical as to whether revealing the Lost Primarchs would be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #27 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroblackstar View Post
Besides, in the grim darkness of the future, there is only war.
Why would that stop if the Emperor were rejuvenated or the missing Primarchs returned? If anything the Imperium would become more aggressive, not less.
post #28 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Why would that stop if the Emperor were rejuvenated or the missing Primarchs returned? If anything the Imperium would become more aggressive, not less.
Exactly.

That quote about how the main fleet of the Tyranids arriving in a hundred years time and requiring the imperium to become 500% more efficient to even stand a chance comes to mind.

What better figure to inspire the masses into a frenzy and powerhouse than the emperor himself?
post #29 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 06:22 AM

countchocula86's Flag is: Canada

I just cant see the argument. Everyone keeps saying "Oooh I have to know what happened to those 2 missing Primarchs!" but the answer is very very simply: anything you want. And trust me, I know Im beating a dead horse here, but honestly why do you care so much, knowing that they were purposefully left out, not with the intention of some incredible storyline, but for the players to use as a starting point.

I mean what happens if some story is published anyways? Chances are they will either be stupidly overpowerful. Or else, even if they are written well, people will be underwhelmed because they've wanted to know for so long.

I think if they were ever to bring back the 2 Primarchs, or have the Emperor awake it would be the end of 40k, not because war would suddenly end, but just because the major plot devices that spur the fluff on would be finished. It would be the epilogue. Sure things would keep happening, but the story itself would be concluded.

Then again, maybe all that stuff would form the legends for a new millennium of war! heheh Warhammer 80k!
post #30 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula86 View Post
I just cant see the argument. Everyone keeps saying "Oooh I have to know what happened to those 2 missing Primarchs!" but the answer is very very simply: anything you want. And trust me, I know Im beating a dead horse here, but honestly why do you care so much, knowing that they were purposefully left out, not with the intention of some incredible storyline, but for the players to use as a starting point.
The whole leaving two Primarchs out was just a business strategy and it's been milked for over twenty years.

Major change will occur in the WH40k universe and it's inevitable as it is with any franchise.

Quote:
I mean what happens if some story is published anyways? Chances are they will either be stupidly overpowerful. Or else, even if they are written well, people will be underwhelmed because they've wanted to know for so long.
All the current primarchs are stupidly OP but they all got cut down or trashed in their own way.

If anything, I would think these two missing primarchs will have had little to zero interaction with the HH which would make things very interesting.

Quote:
I think if they were ever to bring back the 2 Primarchs, or have the Emperor awake it would be the end of 40k, not because war would suddenly end, but just because the major plot devices that spur the fluff on would be finished. It would be the epilogue. Sure things would keep happening, but the story itself would be concluded.
War would not suddenly stop with the revival of the emperor, it wouldn't even be a distant possibility. Scroll up for my post about the incoming tyranid fleet.

Again, there is only so much that can be said and written about post-HH and the events that led up to it, and GW has been going at it for more than two decades.

People will complain about changes but will eventually succumb to it as they always have and will .

Quote:
Then again, maybe all that stuff would form the legends for a new millennium of war! heheh Warhammer 80k!
Bingo.

Space Marines with Jedi-like swords anyone? lol.

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 03-10-10 at 06:54 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode