Chapters into Legions (Pulling a fast one on Guilliman) - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 01:05 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Black Templars are spread all over the Galaxy where as each of the Unforgiven Chapters are rather concentrated- so it's fair to say that it would be much quicker for the Unforgiven to gather a large amount of Astartes in one place than the Black Templars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 01:32 AM
Death Before Dishonour

WarlordKaptainGrishnak's Flag is: Australia

i depends on if the Legion size is taken of chapter size or first founding Legions concentrating their successor chapters in a single place.

It would probably be close between Ultramarines+ successors and Imperial Fists+ successors
post #13 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 01:40 AM

If you were to have a huge hypothetical fight between all the different geneseed derived Chapters, the Ultramarines and their descendents would win absolutely no question about it. Roboute Guilliman's geneseed is currently the basis for 3/5ths of all Astartes!

post #14 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Coder59's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
If you were to have a huge hypothetical fight between all the different geneseed derived Chapters, the Ultramarines and their descendents would win absolutely no question about it. Roboute Guilliman's geneseed is currently the basis for 3/5ths of all Astartes!
Problem is that the Ultramarines and their successors aren't bound together in any way. The very nature of the Codex means that rather than acting as a whole they would try and act as a coalition force rather than a Legion
post #15 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 02:07 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

It would only generate 6100 at max. One of those six has been reduced to only 100 marines, give or take.
post #16 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 03:37 AM

I don't believe any of the first founding could summon up their old legion strength. One reason being that you would probably need a Primarch to do it and despite the use of common space marine geneseeds not all chapters are created directly from the first founding legions. There are chapters which are created outside the influence of the first and second founding; but use a geneseed based off of the loyalist Primarchs. So you can easily have a chapter which is derived from Rogal Dorn's geneseed; but they have never trained or fought alongside the Imperial Fists, Crimson Fists or Black Templars. Which means there is no guarantee that all the chapters of Rogal Dorn's geneseed would unite under one banner. The same can be said about the Ultramarines and any successors.

The Black Templars are constantly driving on their own crusades with little contact with one another so summoning up their full strength would be very difficult.

The Dark Angels and their successors may be connected; but I doubt the chapter master of the Dark Angels has enough influence summon them all. So unless Lion El'Jonson is making a come back its not gonna happen.

Space Wolves are a massive chapter; but nowhere near what they used to be.

Basically you are gonna need a man or Chapter master of great influence to summon up a strength worthy of the Legions and right now the only ones I think that can get away with that are the High Lords of Terra.
post #17 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imntdead View Post
Basically you are gonna need a man or Chapter master of great influence to summon up a strength worthy of the Legions and right now the only ones I think that can get away with that are the High Lords of Terra.
Actually the High Lords of Terra are the last people who would be able to do that. Especially with the Wolves Templars and Angels. They have very little respect or patients for the High Lords.

As for the Unforgiven they do generally defer to the orders of the Dark Angels Inner Circle so it's highly likely that the Inner Circle could call together several Unforgiven chapters to act together as a Legion far more easily than other bunches. Especially if the fallen are involved.
post #18 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 11:25 AM

Well the Ultramarines have close ties with their successors, so whilst they may not be quite as close knit as the Unforgiven they can bring significantly more allied Astartes to the equation. Take the Honour Company- the Ultramarines and it's dozens of allies keep a combined company permanently on station outside the Eye of Terror. That suggests that the UM coordinates with a significant number of Astartes.
post #19 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 11:39 AM

XxDreMisterxX's Flag is: USA

I bet the Leader of the Custodes could unite all the space marine chapters and legions and be considered the new "Emperor". lol

"Imagination is for turbo-nerds who canít handle how kick-butt reality isÖ I am a kick-butt reality master! I would rather die than be imaginative."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Ploss View Post
i'm quite proud of this statement of mine, and i doubt it'll ever be quoted: "This is Heresy-Online, not Fluffy-Bunny Online." yep, that's a good'un. write that down folks.
post #20 of 101 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
Well the Ultramarines have close ties with their successors, so whilst they may not be quite as close knit as the Unforgiven they can bring significantly more allied Astartes to the equation. Take the Honour Company- the Ultramarines and it's dozens of allies keep a combined company permanently on station outside the Eye of Terror. That suggests that the UM coordinates with a significant number of Astartes.
If only they would Unite and launch the Second Great Crusade. I bet a few Space Marine Legions would give even the Tyranid hive fleets a good kicking!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode