Will The Emperor Ever Wake Up? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-13-08, 07:45 AM

stormshroud's Flag is: England

Here are my thoughts...

The Orks all unite behind a single warlord and take Terra in a great Waargh. At this point a lowly mek stumbles upon the golden throne and sees that the techpriests had it wired up wrong. Bish, bash, bosh a quick bit of orky know how and the thing starts working properly. The Emperor regenerates, wakes up and sees a huge mass of green faces. He staggers free of the Golden Throne, falls to his knees and screams out "You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you!".

The Emperor Protects. Now if only I could get him to make my armour saves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-13-08, 08:18 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

The Golden Throne was intendeded originally to be the psychic hub for maintaining humanity's control over the webway. There's a gate beneath the Imperial Palace. The thing was never meant to be more than a rudimentary life support system, and the Emperor intended to wire Magnus to it, prior to his... "treason."

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-13-08, 08:49 AM

stormshroud's Flag is: England

SoH - I was having a laugh, alternativley they might just paint it red so it works faster. As my memory serves the Golden Throne was also supposed to sustain the 'incarerated' individual indefinately, so it is not working as tghe Emperor is deteriorating. The psychic hub part has only been added in later revisions of the 40K history, originally it was mentioned as simply a life support system.

On a similar thread what is happening to Guilliman within his stasis field, is he slowly regenerating (as suggested in the 2nd Edition Codex Ultramarines)?!

The Emperor Protects. Now if only I could get him to make my armour saves...

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-13-08, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshroud View Post
On a similar thread what is happening to Guilliman within his stasis field, is he slowly regenerating (as suggested in the 2nd Edition Codex Ultramarines)?!
I think it says in the 4th edition codex that it is physically impossible for him to regenerate in a statis field, but the ultramarines believe that he is regenerating nevertheless. It's sort of like having a dead goldfish and trying to convince yourself that it's just sleeping.

Sig made by Tau Chaotix
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-14-08, 03:42 AM

I wish GW would release a 40k history book that covers major events since the Horus Heresy, and goes more in depth about whats happened more recently (in gaming terms).

They wouldn't even need to infringe on people's invented fluff if they simple gathered together information that they have already released through White Dwarf, codexs, etc. and put all that in a format that is clear and easy to understand. They could even invent little minor conflicts that have no bearing on any major events in 40k history. Instead of messing up players fluff, such stories could only serve as a foundation for new ideas and creativity. That way there would be much less misunderstanding and contradiction of fluff from some obscure scource in the 80s. The basic background could be found in one awesome book.

I like to dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silb View Post
It's sort of like having a dead goldfish and trying to convince yourself that it's just sleeping.
I like to think its more like having a frozen goldfish, and hoping he will wake up when he is thawed. Ok, not a perfect metaphor, but I try.

Last edited by kharnthebetrayer; 02-14-08 at 03:45 AM.
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-14-08, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
The Golden Throne was intendeded originally to be the psychic hub for maintaining humanity's control over the webway. There's a gate beneath the Imperial Palace. The thing was never meant to be more than a rudimentary life support system, and the Emperor intended to wire Magnus to it, prior to his... "treason."
Actually I think it says that when the Emperor had to disconnect himself from the throne to fight Horus, Magnus would have been the most logical choice, but as he had turned traitor, this was no longer an option. The emperor himself I believe was the only one who had the psychic might to actually maintain the throne for an extended period of time. During the brief period he teleported to Horus's battlebarge, Malcador the Sigillite, the First high lord of Terra took his spot on the throne. Malcador was considered the strongest psychic power in the galaxy behind the Emperor himself (As mentioned in the Horus Heresy novels). Upon returning to the throne, Malcador was nothing more then a withered husk that was barely alive. Using what little psychic energy he had left, he transfered it to the emperor while Rogal Dorn attached him to the golden throne. As a result of this the emperor continues to live today in only the most limited sense. A number of sources say that just a few cells remain alive in his body and this is what the golden throne maintains. As a result there are many interesting plotlines and stories as to the emperor's status and the future of the 40k galaxy.

I am sure I missed something, but this was just the basic rundown.

post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-14-08, 01:55 PM

inqusitor_me's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias2003 View Post
Actually I think it says that when the Emperor had to disconnect himself from the throne to fight Horus, Magnus would have been the most logical choice.
Hate to burst your buble it was made for magnus because he is the only one that could keep the Webway stable (non eldar any way).

Last edited by Dirge Eterna; 02-19-08 at 02:33 AM.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-14-08, 04:26 PM

Can you show me where it says Magnus is the only one? I can show you resources where it says Malcador was possibly the strongest psyker in the galaxy after the Emperor. And originally the throne was stable till MAGNUS torn down the psychic shield the emperor had around it which allowed Chaos to invade the stable part of the webway, and then only a being of vast psychic might had the ability to keep the webway closed (via the golden throne). So that is one reason that during the battle for terra the Emperor was hooked up to the golden throne. He had to make sure that Chaos didn't flood in the back door.

post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-14-08, 05:07 PM

Pandawithissues...'s Flag is: England

I originally posted this in the endgame section a while ago, but is seems fairly relevent to this discussion.

Its been rumoured that Andy Chambers left GW because he wanted to push it, fluffwise, into the 'endgame' period, and they refused, aiming to maintain the status quo. Personally i thought this would have been a fantastic move forward for the system.

So: Any ideas for how this could have been done, what the storyline would have been etc?

Speculation would be very welcome.

Personally, i think it could have been done as a seperate book, a little like the cityfight/armageddon/lustria type expansions, but maybe a lot larger. Say another book the same size as the BBB, but with one third additional rules/alterations/clarifications for this period, another 2 thirds a combination of awesome bonus fluff, and a series of alterations for this period for all the codexes.

This way, they'd never have had to alter anything else and if it took off, they could throw their weight behind it. Perhaps it would be targeted at the more experienced gamer, and help compensate for the simplification that 40k has gone through, providing more detailed morale rules etc. I feel morale would be particularly appropriate in a situation with isolated pockets of resistance, whilst helping to inject some new life into one of the parts i feel is weakest in the 40k rules.

Perhaps a greater emphasis could have been placed on story based campaigns, and games that wern't points balanced.

Some of my favourite scenarios used to be the last stand ones for fantasy ages ago, or when i fought battles where we nominated story based objectives for the win: I.e, like the battle report they did ages ago based on the necron codex, where the objectives were created according to a story. Flayed ones must kill guard commander in cc, deathwatch must psychically tag a necron, then trace it back to its tomb, which they then proceded to fight a small kill team type battle alongside the main battle report.

Does anyone remember this one? - It always struck me as the pinnacle of what the GW systems could achieve as becoming as immersive as possible...

Anyway, just a ton of thoughts...

Death magnetic: 5 slabs of vinyl: Pure spinning ecstasy.

Last edited by Pandawithissues...; 02-19-08 at 06:29 PM.
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-08, 02:36 AM
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

I loved that! In fact, I stole it for Chaos on IG. The Chaos player kill the command sqaud in CC, beheading the Guard leadership, while an IG stormtrooper team Kill-Team their way through a demon army to close a Warp Portal, cutting off Chaos reinforcements.

-Dirge

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode