nanotech and 40k - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
GabrialSagan's Flag is: USA

Default nanotech and 40k

Ok. When GW originally created 40k they threw in all the elements of sci-fi that people of the time loved.

Since then science has progressed in ways that people in the 70s and 80s really could not have imagined. Today one of the biggest technologies speculated about in sci fi novels is the power of nanotechnology, particularly in terms of medicine, cybernetics, and fabrication. Something that the original 40k writers could not have seen coming. The result is that nanotechnology is lacking from the setting.

Here is my question. If 40k was being written today for the first time what role would nanotechnology play in the Imperium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 01:43 AM

XxDreMisterxX's Flag is: USA

Digital weapons in 40k are sorta like that. lol

"Imagination is for turbo-nerds who canít handle how kick-butt reality isÖ I am a kick-butt reality master! I would rather die than be imaginative."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Ploss View Post
i'm quite proud of this statement of mine, and i doubt it'll ever be quoted: "This is Heresy-Online, not Fluffy-Bunny Online." yep, that's a good'un. write that down folks.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
GabrialSagan's Flag is: USA

digital weapons are just compact versions of devices.

To clarify- nanotechnology as I am meaning it is the technology of building microscopic machines that can work in concert to manipulate matter on a molecular or even atomic scale. building something (or taking it apart) atom by atom. Sending tiny attack drones to target and destroy cancer cells, ect.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 03:14 AM

but even if that existed, wouldn't it of been lost in the Age of Strife? like nearly everything else?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrialSagan View Post
digital weapons are just compact versions of devices.

To clarify- nanotechnology as I am meaning it is the technology of building microscopic machines that can work in concert to manipulate matter on a molecular or even atomic scale. building something (or taking it apart) atom by atom. Sending tiny attack drones to target and destroy cancer cells, ect.
Doesn't that defy science on a very basic level? I mean, what would you even build them out of? Steel at an atomic level is just ... atoms, right?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 06:03 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

I would imagine, barring the physics defying powers of the C'tan gods, that the Necron necrodermis is probably based on nano-tech. The self-building/self-repair ability for nano-technology has been around since its infancy.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 06:39 AM

I think it'd be lost in the age of strife (GW's ''catch all'' excuse for new technologies), but if it wasn't, i reckon it'd be used for medical purposes much like they are today (poisons are alot more efficient in killing than producing millions of mini-bots designed to screw you around).

I can read your mind. Right now you think I'm lying.

games from August 2009 - now
w/d/l
21/4/6

Check out my black legion W.I.P

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 07:59 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Nanotechonology would be in the advanced bloodstream of the Marines and in their advanced digestive systems, enabling them to get rid of poisons and digest anything and also the systems that monitor their life signs would most likely be using nano tech as well.

I'd just like to throw in that I think we're developing STC's already
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 02-12-10 at 08:03 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 09:48 AM

piemaster's Flag is: United Kingdom

There was a nice fluff piece in WD where Relicors jumped some IG outpost to steal chaos relics. The officer had his face melted off but then he had new skin grown and grafted on. You could imply the use of nano-tech here without explicitly saying. Also SM metabolisms could imply the same implementation as Malus Darkblade said.

Nano tech could have make a nice difference to Tallarn, only killing humans, and not turning it into a desert.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 04:47 PM

I guess that nanotech is used without much specific comment.

In one of the Shira Calpurnia novels, the title character is attacked by a swarm of all-consuming insect devices that sounds like a macro-scale grey goo weapon- such a system might very well use nanotech on some level.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode