Space Marine chapter vs Dark age of Technology army, who would win? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 01:42 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucan View Post
Child-of: I do think it depends on what DAoT world the space marines would be attacking. If we're talking about a DAoT military installation, then the marines are screwed.
Exactly, this kind of hypothetical situation depends almost entirely on the circumstance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacklock View Post
Was mankind more or less united during the DAOT?
Well the Dark Age humans have been referred to as the 'Human Federations' I believe.

Generally speaking they were likely to have been very loosely unified. I imagine sectors and systems would have been extremley indepedent, but I think Terra would have had the prestige (and the finance, material and military force) and thus plausably the influence to enforce some kind of limited authority over many colonies.

That being said though they were no way near as unified as the Imperium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 03:52 AM

Daneel2.0's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3k3000 View Post
The space marine's base most firearm is essentially a miniature, rapid fire rocket launcher, which are pea shooters compared to their heavier gear. Just off the top of my head and from what I know of each series, Star Wars, Mass Effect, Unreal, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Fallout, Star Trek, Universe at War, Borderlands, Bioshock, Brute Force, Doom, Dead Space, Jak, Lost Planet, Metroid, Star Ocean, Quake, Prey, Starcraft, Halo, MST3k (the funny ones still count!), and Spore can't consistently compare to WH40K versatility, quantity, or raw firepower. There are certainly more powerful Sci-Fi universes out there, but to say the vast majority of them are is silliness and obvious hyperbole.
Nope, no silliness or hyperbole, and I'm aware of what tech the Space Marines use. And the thing about 40K tech is it either falls into the category of "Poorly thought out Plot Device" or "Things we can pretty much do today". Now not all of it does, there are some pretty good ideas in there in places, but for the most part, yeah.

Now, you list a couple of video games, where the 40K universe may have an edge (and Star Wars is pretty undeniably higher tech than 40K), but you hardly account for even a small percentage of a large body of writing. Try to think books, not video games or movies. It'll help.

Try David Weber (4 different universes), Foster, Farmer, Heinlein, nearly any of the many worlds created by Niven, Gear, Asimov (and not just the Foundation series either), Saberhagen, Dickson, Zahn, anything from Shadowrun, Ringo, etc . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
[Necrons]shoot, shoot, teleport, shoot. win

Last edited by Daneel2.0; 02-06-10 at 03:54 AM.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel2.0 View Post
Nope, no silliness or hyperbole, and I'm aware of what tech the Space Marines use. And the thing about 40K tech is it either falls into the category of "Poorly thought out Plot Device" or "Things we can pretty much do today". Now not all of it does, there are some pretty good ideas in there in places, but for the most part, yeah.

Now, you list a couple of video games, where the 40K universe may have an edge (and Star Wars is pretty undeniably higher tech than 40K), but you hardly account for even a small percentage of a large body of writing. Try to think books, not video games or movies. It'll help.

Try David Weber (4 different universes), Foster, Farmer, Heinlein, nearly any of the many worlds created by Niven, Gear, Asimov (and not just the Foundation series either), Saberhagen, Dickson, Zahn, anything from Shadowrun, Ringo, etc . . . . .
I've said what I wanted to on the subject, and I stand by my opinion. No point in letting this topic get derailed further.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 04:09 AM

It's hard to say what exactly DAoT humans had, besides STC Titans, which are to be sure quite mighty. From the meager descriptions of their technology, could something along the lines of a Mark XXXIII Bolo be possible? War machines like that mean survival times of flesh and blood soldiers on the battlefield are measured in a handful of minutes, even genetically engineered ones in power armor.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-10, 06:36 PM

I seem to recall a bit of fluff regarding dark age of tech armies fielding entire divisions of baneblades, which is an stc design. I can imagine that their version would be even more powerful than the mars design currently produced, due to lack of degradation of technology. Also, dark age armies are said to have fielded large amounts of ai controlled robots (the men of iron in fluff) until they rebelled and had to be destroyed. I imagine that these robots would far outgun and overpower a space marine. THis is assuming that it is a military world and that the imperial navy doesnt simply swoop in and nuke it to oblivion ofc 8p
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-10, 12:00 AM

MoreDakka47's Flag is: USA

Two words......Castigator Titan
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-10, 08:15 AM
dtq

If the Imperial Guard managed to take out Adrantis V, I dont see why Space Marines couldnt manage a full DAoT world. I dont believe superior technology=instant win in fiction or in the real world. You can be armed with a rocket launcher and a PHD and come out second best to a native with a blow gun.

The Space marines have a history of tackling "advanced tech" from other races. They win some they lose some. I dont see the daot being any different, a lot of space marine tech is from that era.

I would imagine if say the Iron Hands discovered a DAOT world they would not be short of supplies or support from titans. The imperium might have patchy supplies on many products due ot the size of the imperium, but you can bet the Fabricator General would pull a few strings to ensure no shortages for the capture of such a world!

I certainly see as such a battle regardless of military centre of not could go either way depending on plot direction needed for the fluff or roll of the dice :D. I dont see as the fiction blocks out a space marine win. High tech and insurmountable foes are all in a days work for the marines.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-10, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtq View Post
I dont believe superior technology=instant win in fiction or in the real world.
See the short story Superiority, by Arthur C. Clarke.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-10, 05:58 PM

V.Valorum's Flag is: USA

I'd have to throw behind DAoT for this one.

Look at the M41 rare-tech that was (reportedly) common during the DAoT-
Vortex Grenades
Plasma Guns that don't overheat
Displacement and Conversion Fields
Grav-Packs
Pinpoint Teleportation

That doesn't even consider the ancillary tech that isn't specifically offensive or defensive, that may 'still' exist but was clearer, more accurate and better maintained than in M41.

I'll take 100 normal humans with the above load out over an Astartes Company, with a points spread in just about any tactical environment. And, while the Marines have the ability to make good battle decisions, they are still yoked with Codex methodology and Mechanicus limitations. DAoT humans were (again reportedly) more tech savvy and more likely to fiddle with their tech to improve or improvise with the equipment -- stuff that M41 Imperial Forces strongly discourage.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 09:03 PM

I think the only advantage the Imperium has over DAoT is the Emperor and Primarchs and perhaps more knowledge of psykery?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode