Space Marine chapter vs Dark age of Technology army, who would win? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-10, 09:05 AM

Landraiders etc are essentially from the Dark Age of Technology. So it's basically the same forces against each other except one can build things faster and better and has the ability to improve upon designs. The individuals aren't as genetically enhanced but they have better equipment by a huge amount.

Aramoro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-10, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
I'm going to have to say the Space Marines would win, assuming equal number of men.
I think it's unfair to pit any faction against the space marines in equal number, 'cept for maybe the necron. Eldar technology probably surpasses even that of the DAoT, but have them face off against one another in equal numbers and the space marines will still probably win. The primary limitation of the space marines are there numbers, which means limiting the DAoT's numbers for the sake of giving the space marines an edge. Not entirely fair.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-10, 05:08 PM

Shacklock's Flag is: England

Considering that humanity during the DAOT was so powerful that Xenos werent at all a threat I'm going to immagine they were pretty pimped out with some nice gear. After all they only have a small ammount of STC designs from back then and very few of the truly powerful millitary ones. DAOT humans probably had a helluva lot of true original Titans, crazy ships and reams of plasma/melta/laser guns.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-10, 05:35 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacklock View Post
Considering that humanity during the DAOT was so powerful that Xenos werent at all a threat
Xenos were a threat to humanity during the Dark Age of Technology. The main difference here is that Humanity was no way near as Xenophobic as the Imperium is, thus (arguably) pointless wars weren't fought against Xenos simply because they were Xenos. In my opinion they were likely more 'passive' alien races than 'aggressive' ones in the galaxy, thus if it was to their mutual benefit non-aggression pacts were secured with many Xenos Species.

Aside from that the Eldar Empire was still present and the most dominant force in the galaxy throughout Mankind's Dark Age of Technology, and seeing as Humanity spread across the galaxy from Terra (As Human worlds were reconquered during the Great Crusade in every corner of the galaxy), its unclear what kind of official or unofficial relationship the Human Federations had with the Eldar Empire. But I think it goes without saying that the Eldar Empire was more powerful than Mankind was, even during the Dark Age of Technology - Thus Xenos did pose a great threat to Mankind, it just seems to have been 'diverted' given the many non-aggression pacts with many Alien races and the seemingly passive nature of the Eldar Empire towards Humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacklock View Post
I'm going to immagine they were pretty pimped out with some nice gear. After all they only have a small ammount of STC designs from back then and very few of the truly powerful millitary ones. DAOT humans probably had a helluva lot of true original Titans, crazy ships and reams of plasma/melta/laser guns.
Yes, technology was obviously way more advanced back then, but I think it has to be taken into account that the Imperium is a military undertaking, the entire organisation is geared for war and war is all that it knows. The Human Federations however were not solely geared for war and were not properly unified like the Imperium is under Terra.

The Adeptus Astartes are the pinnacle of Mankind's Military Technology, created solely for war, never has the galaxy seen such a breed of warrior. The Human Federations didn't have such 'super-soldiers', and certainly not the same psychology - that which was of war, and war only.

I imagine that any hypothetical confrontation between Dark Age humans and Astartes would depend almost fully on circumstance, and thus it is extremley hard to give a conclusive answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 02-05-10 at 05:38 PM.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-10, 06:26 PM

Daneel2.0's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3k3000 View Post
The Space Marines are privvy to some of the most overpowered technology in any sci-fi setting, and even they're outdone by the DAoT.
I know this is off topic, but no. . . just no. Space Marines throw the equivalent of snow balls compared to the vast majority of Sci-Fi, let alone military Sci-Fi.

On topic, I'd imagine it would greatly depend on what kind of planet was encountered, what kind of local threats that planet were used to encountering and the status of it's defensive forces.

There are just far too many imponderables for a clear winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
[Necrons]shoot, shoot, teleport, shoot. win
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-10, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
Xenos were a threat to humanity during the Dark Age of Technology. The main difference here is that Humanity was no way near as Xenophobic as the Imperium is, thus (arguably) pointless wars weren't fought against Xenos simply because they were Xenos. In my opinion they were likely more 'passive' alien races than 'aggressive' ones in the galaxy, thus if it was to their mutual benefit non-aggression pacts were secured with many Xenos Species.

Aside from that the Eldar Empire was still present and the most dominant force in the galaxy throughout Mankind's Dark Age of Technology, and seeing as Humanity spread across the galaxy from Terra (As Human worlds were reconquered during the Great Crusade in every corner of the galaxy), its unclear what kind of official or unofficial relationship the Human Federations had with the Eldar Empire. But I think it goes without saying that the Eldar Empire was more powerful than Mankind was, even during the Dark Age of Technology - Thus Xenos did pose a great threat to Mankind, it just seems to have been 'diverted' given the many non-aggression pacts with many Alien races and the seemingly passive nature of the Eldar Empire towards Humans.

Yes, technology was obviously way more advanced back then, but I think it has to be taken into account that the Imperium is a military undertaking, the entire organisation is geared for war and war is all that it knows. The Human Federations however were not solely geared for war and were not properly unified like the Imperium is under Terra.

The Adeptus Astartes are the pinnacle of Mankind's Military Technology, created solely for war, never has the galaxy seen such a breed of warrior. The Human Federations didn't have such 'super-soldiers', and certainly not the same psychology - that which was of war, and war only.

I imagine that any hypothetical confrontation between Dark Age humans and Astartes would depend almost fully on circumstance, and thus it is extremley hard to give a conclusive answer.
All good points, although are we certain that there was no super-humans present during the Age of Tech? After all like you say they were more open minded and liberal than the Imperium so is it not likely that genetic technology was at least existent and likely fairly advanced, after all in the present day we're already well on the road to serious genetic manipulation.
Don't the Innterex have their own brand of genetic warriors, can't quite remember.

I'm not saying the Astartes wouldent be a potent and grave threat to them in a crude way.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-10, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickback View Post
:SPOILER:
In Scions of the Storm, the marines fight some AI robot thing-a-majigs, and they still win.
So? The OP wasn't asking whether an isolated human colony with some AI mahcines would beat space marines. They were asking if a human planet at the pinnacle of human technological achievement could defeat a bunch of crude primitive supersoldiers.

http://www.bookstogonow.com/stonemindsfolly.html

Will the Stone Mind save humanity, or destroy it? Find out in my new short story at books to go now!
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-10, 08:01 PM

Child-of: I do think it depends on what DAoT world the space marines would be attacking. If we're talking about a DAoT military installation, then the marines are screwed.

http://www.bookstogonow.com/stonemindsfolly.html

Will the Stone Mind save humanity, or destroy it? Find out in my new short story at books to go now!
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-10, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucan View Post
Child-of: I do think it depends on what DAoT world the space marines would be attacking. If we're talking about a DAoT military installation, then the marines are screwed.
Was mankind more or less united during the DAOT? If so then with its immense size, humans colonised even further than the Imperium after all, it must have had a pretty dondapper millitary wing, at the pinnacle of human technology and enlightnement I immagine they would be some pretty mean bastards all tooled up with weaponary leagues better than most things a Space Marine can call upon plus probably some form of protection/enhancments of a technical nature.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-10, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel2.0 View Post
I know this is off topic, but no. . . just no. Space Marines throw the equivalent of snow balls compared to the vast majority of Sci-Fi, let alone military Sci-Fi.
The space marine's base most firearm is essentially a miniature, rapid fire rocket launcher, which are pea shooters compared to their heavier gear. Just off the top of my head and from what I know of each series, Star Wars, Mass Effect, Unreal, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Fallout, Star Trek, Universe at War, Borderlands, Bioshock, Brute Force, Doom, Dead Space, Jak, Lost Planet, Metroid, Star Ocean, Quake, Prey, Starcraft, Halo, MST3k (the funny ones still count!), and Spore can't consistently compare to WH40K versatility, quantity, or raw firepower. There are certainly more powerful Sci-Fi universes out there, but to say the vast majority of them are is silliness and obvious hyperbole.

On topic, I say it comes down to numbers and the scope of the battle. If you were to pit the space marines against the full might of the eldar in their glory days, they'd undoubtedly lose. The same applies for the DAoT, as far as I see things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in