Entertainment in the Imperium - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Default Entertainment in the Imperium

I wonder... What's the entertainment like in the Imperium?... Surely there's something besides dedicating your life to the Emperor?... Sports, plays, songs or something?... I've never heard of anyone mentioning any of those things when talking about the Imperium, hehe... What do you think?

(There's probably a thread about this somewhere, but I had the urge to make my first thread on the forums, hehe.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 12:37 AM

jams's Flag is: Wales

in eisenhorn and ravener, the characters make reference to "pound" music in the subsids and sinks which i take it is similar to dance music

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 12:42 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Imperium isn't centralised culturally. Thus different worlds and sectors will have different opportunities, traditions, pass-times etc.

For the most part the Imperium is a harsh and vile regime where the vast majority of its citizens are ignorant of the dangers of the galaxy and live in terrible conditions. I imagine they would partake in 'activities' whenever they got the opportunity, but apart from that it really depends on the world or system. Heck some worlds may even consider sports dangerous in the sense that they give an oppressed people some measure of freedom (like when the Catholic Church condemned football!)

In the Imperial Army and Navy though whatever free time they do have is probably usually spent gambling, drinking, and playing certain games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 04:37 AM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Im reading Storm of Iron and (like most militarys) the free time is spent on drinking, bets, and gambling. As good as it gets really.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 07:15 AM

Smokes's Flag is: Italy

I have heard that on some worlds they have like carnivals,etc. A inquisitor was investigating one that would show up at random, abduct a few people and then disappear. Turns out Slaanesh was having some fun. For the most part drinking, drugs and gambling is probably a big thing. My intention, during my first week in the Imperium, would be to get so plastered that if Kharne himself were to appear in my bathroom I would be so drunk that I wouldn't care. Imagine Spess Mehrens playing Rugby or Hockey though. That would be epic.

"You do not need to look to the stars to find the greatest obstacle this Conclave faces, my brothers. Simply gaze around this room and you will find such a sea of discord as to make your foes cackle with glee." - Inquisitor Eistus Gracker in address to the Calixian Conclave

"There are dark pitted corners of our universe that have bred the most unfathomable horrors and blasphemies that would burn and blind the sanest man. Fortunately sanity has never been a prerequisite of membership in the Holy Ordos." - Inquisitor Silas Marr
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 10:12 AM

piemaster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Space marines vs. local PDF in a kind of guards vs. inmates would be epic. Actually, maybe not. It would be short and sweet. God - 40k needs a Blood Bowl equivalent.

Necromunda makes references to drinking, gambling and the like.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 12:45 PM

jams's Flag is: Wales

everyone seems to drink amasec and play regicide too

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 01:22 PM

Samir_Duran's Flag is: Poland

There are Picters and such, and camcoders, so propably, Television exists on more developed worlds such as hive worlds... on feudal worlds it could be chivlary tournaments or something...

"Incompetence breeds even more incompetence..."
- Megatron
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 01:29 PM

Shacklock's Flag is: England

Theres a long list of drugs in 40k so thats one thing, Hivers seem to like grimey sci-fi techno, guards gamble and play cards, rich people do whatever it is they do.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 02:37 PM

Farseer Ulthris's Flag is: Great Britain

According to the Ciaphas Cain novels, Inquisitor Vale makes reference to some Imperial holo-pict show that is for children. It is about some crazy arbites officer that takes on gangsters and Heretics with a huge gun

When the sky falls down, The Dead sleep no more. Can you survive as your world slowly tears itself apart?

"When life gives you lemons...BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode