Primarch's personality traits - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-09, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

Default Primarch's personality traits

The emperor created the primarch's from his own DNA and they each embodied a certain of trait or characteristic of his.. now I was wondering what you think these traits were

For example in my opinion
Magnus: his psychic powers
Ferrus Manus: His ability with machines or ability to create
Fulgrim: His vision.. his ideals for a perfect galaxy
Leman Russ: His loyalty
Rogal Dorn: Stalwart determination
Gulliman: His pride

Now this is just off the top of my head.. do you agree, what do you think these traits are if you think they have traits at all?

I was wondering what the traits of the other primarchs such as the Lion and especially Horus would be.

Also are there any obvious traits the emperor has that may be missing and may be found in those two missing primarchs?

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-09, 08:48 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its not entirely clear that each Primarch did embody a characteristic of the Emperor. But assuming they do here is what I would say:

The Lion: His Courage.
Fulgrim: His Pride.
Perturabo: His Cold, Calculating Logic.
Jaghatai Khan:
Leman Russ: His Savagery and Brutality.
Rogal Dorn: His Loyalty.
Night Haunter: Possibly something representing Fear?
Sanguinius: His Grace.
Ferrus Manus:
Angron: His Fury.
Roboute Guilliman: His Organisational/Administrative Skills.
Mortarion: His Determination.
Magnus: His Psychic Talents.
Horus: His Ambition.
Lorgar: Maybe representing Humanities dependence on belief of the Divine? / His Faith.
Vulkan: His Humanitarianism.
Corax:
Alpharius Omegon: His Cunning and Guile.

Those are the only ones I could muster in my current state(!) - I may edit this later

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 12-23-09 at 11:13 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-09, 09:17 PM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

The Lion: His tactical mind.

Fulgrim: His strive for perfection and higher state of life. (Come on, he was several shamans then got turned into a damned demi-god)

Perturabo: His determination.

Jaghatai Khan: His boy-rider side

Leman Russ: His barbarian/savage side.

Rogal Dorn: His stubbornness.

Night Haunter: His hatred and darker side.

Sanguinius: His love for all.

Ferrus Manus: His feel for technology/machinery.

Angron: His strength.

Guillimun:

Mortarion: His un-willingness to yield.

Magnus: Do I even have to say?

Horus: His leadership skills.

Lorgar: His faith.

Vulkan: His forgery skills.

Corax: His swifter side.

Alpharius: His cunning.

As you can see some are the same as the people above me have posted, but others have changed

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-09, 11:11 PM
Bane of Empires

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark angel View Post
The Lion: His tactical mind.
The Lion is noted on several occasions as being the most Courageous Primarch though, I would say that that is more appropriate considering the Lion wasn't necessarily the best tactician.

Quote:
Perturabo: His determination.
Quote:
Mortarion: His un-willingness to yield.
'Unwillingness to yield' is essentially determination, and I think that determination fits Mortarion more so than Perturabo.

Quote:
Horus: His leadership skills.
Its noted in Horus Rising i think it is that the main reason Horus was made Warmaster was because he shared the Emperor's great Ambition, and thus was suitable for the role. Therefore I think Ambition is more suitable than his Leadership skills.

Apart from that good suggestions

Quote:
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 12-22-09 at 11:13 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-09, 06:10 AM

I think that Vulkan shows the Emperor's humanitarianism.

GFP
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-09, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
description whore

I was going on something Horus said whilst going mad in galaxy in flames
I think we can agree that
Horus: ambition
Magnus:psychic potential
Russ: Ruthless barbarism
Lorgar: Faith
Lion: Courage (I agree with COE as of the symbolism of lions in literature in general)

I personally say Alpharius is more on the emperor's subtelty and guile rather than his genius

Though what intrigues me Child is your answer for Fulgrim why do you say pride?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-09, 11:12 PM
Bane of Empires

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbringer View Post

I personally say Alpharius is more on the emperor's subtelty and guile rather than his genius.
Maybe, but Alpharius' Subtelty and Guile arguably fits in with his genius. But you are probably right in being more specific

Quote:
Though what intrigues me Child is your answer for Fulgrim why do you say pride?
Pride:

–noun
1. a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.
2. the state or feeling of being proud.
3. a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem.
4. Literary. splendor, magnificence, or pomp.

Fulgrim strove to achieve perfection as he idealised the Emperor as perfect. He stove to be like him in all ways. Therefore you cannot say that he inherited this strive for perfection from the Emperor because to Fulgrim the Emperor was already perfect.

Fulgrim is noted several times as being Prideful, and I think the above dictionary definitions of 'Pride' suits Fulgrim exactly.

Quote:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-09, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
description whore

Im convinced on fulgrim, must admit never read fulgrim but yes I can see it as Lord Eidolon gets shredded by angron for being overly proud and haughty so yes I think i will go with that

Lion: Courage
Fulgrim: Pride
Alpharius: Subtlety and Guile

7/18

Now Mortrion the one thing I can say about death guard is that they are hardy even as plague marines they resist everything so to me Mortarion is his resilience (specially with that poision drinking)
Anyone disagree?

Whilst Dorn is counted by Garro as one of the most loyal primarchs plus he was trusted to prepare terra...

Angron famed for his barbarism however that is more due to his implants, Reading galaxy in flames i thought how quick and easy to anger he was and thus im going to suggest rage as the characteristic

CUrze for me everything about Kurze is partially insanity but mainly all his kills were about justice so i suggest that for his characteristic

Mortarion:Resilience
Dorn: Loyalty
Angron: Rage
Curze: Justice

Any disagreement?

Sang and Vulkan is the one that interests me next... never read any sallie fluff so why did GFP say humanitarianism?

Plus Sang is idolized so I liked grace... I was wondering about purity... Sang is the one guy tht was purely and totally untouchable
Thoughts appreciated people

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-09, 11:45 PM
Bane of Empires

Quote:
Im convinced on fulgrim, must admit never read fulgrim but yes I can see it as Lord Eidolon gets shredded by angron for being overly proud and haughty so yes I think i will go with that

7/18
Looking good so far

Quote:
Now Mortrion the one thing I can say about death guard is that they are hardy even as plague marines they resist everything so to me Mortarion is his resilience (specially with that poision drinking)
Anyone disagree?
Indeed. In my opinion he suits 'Determination' a lot more than Perturabo for example as someone above suggested.

Quote:
Whilst Dorn is counted by Garro as one of the most loyal primarchs plus he was trusted to prepare terra...
I think its harder to justify Dorn representing 'Loyalty'. I'll admit that I put 'Loyalty' in my list as I lacked anything else for Dorn

Quote:
Angron famed for his barbarism however that is more due to his implants, Reading galaxy in flames i thought how quick and easy to anger he was and thus im going to suggest rage as the characteristic
Sounds good.

Quote:
Curze for me everything about Kurze is partially insanity but mainly all his kills were about justice so i suggest that for his characteristic
Yes, I like the idea of Curze representing Justice, after all he was a Vigilante. Another suggestion could be Vindication maybe?

Quote:
Vulkan is the one that interests me next... never read any sallie fluff so why did GFP say humanitarianism?
In what little fluff exists on Vulkan and the Salamanders I believe he has been noted to not be 'aloof' as most Astartes and were very in touch with 'normal' humans.

Quote:
Plus Sang is idolized so I liked grace... I was wondering about purity... Sang is the one guy tht was purely and totally untouchable
Thoughts appreciated people
Grace:

–noun
1. elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action.
2. a pleasing or attractive quality or endowment.
3. favor or good will.
4. a manifestation of favor, esp. by a superior: It was only through the dean's grace that I wasn't expelled from school.
5. mercy; clemency; pardon: an act of grace.
6. favor shown in granting a delay or temporary immunity.
7. an allowance of time after a debt or bill has become payable granted to the debtor before suit can be brought against him or her or a penalty applied: The life insurance premium is due today, but we have 31 days' grace before the policy lapses. Compare grace period.
8. Theology.
a. the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God.
b. the influence or spirit of God operating in humans to regenerate or strengthen them.
c. a virtue or excellence of divine origin: the Christian graces.
d. Also called state of grace. the condition of being in God's favor or one of the elect.
9. moral strength: the grace to perform a duty.

I think by and large that 'Grace' seems appropriate for Sanguinius.

Quote:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
description whore

Any more opinions par mine and CoE?
Angron: Rage
Curze: Justice
Sanguinius: Grace
Mortarion: Resiliance
11/18

btw CoE as soon as i can rep you I will for insane knowledge and dedication to the fluff section I will

Right back to the list

Same with me for Dorn I'm going to do a little more research as Loyalty was hardly a quality I see in the emperor

Vulkan from what I have read about him... his legion are very good at forging and he was a blacksmith... perhaps the emperors creativity. Still looking for the humanitarian side

Khan: Not much known except he was a great warrior yet had no desire to rule leader maybe the emperors leadership or inspiration
He was seen fighting from the top of a razorback an iconic image of the siege of terra
Plus he united tribe after tribe through conquest... not sure to be honest

Ferrus Manus: Something about self improvement that seems to be in Ferrus Manus's make up but i dont see it in the emperors so im struggling a little

Gulliman: Counted as a great general and also rewarded the hard working rather than the influential... maybe his tactical abilities I'm not a ultramarine expert in all honesty

Corax: Ha placed doubt on my alpaharius definition as he is also one for covert ops and sabotage.. any ideas.. whilst he also created the monsters so once again something to bare in mind

Peturabo: I'm thinking his command of technology. Now in mechanicum the emperor touches a machine and its healed now several primarchs have machine talents but Vulkan is more forging.... Ferrus MAnus is more self improvement and biometric so maybe the command of technology was Peturabo's characteristic

I do see determination though the genocide of his home planet could well be seen as cruelty. The emperor certainly has a cruel streak perhaps it is embodied in Perturabo.

Though he did take pleasure in pulling down dorns defences and nearly suceeded if Horus hadn't downed the shields so logic could be there as well

Thoughts?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode