the most powerful psykers? - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-14-09, 10:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Warlock in Training's Avatar
Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,475
Reputation: 1
Default

In th Chaos codex its stated his power rivals that of Tzeentch's Strongest Greater Deamons, so hes as powerful as probaly Fate Weaver, and hes the baddest Lord of Change out there. Thats no small feat at all.
Warlock in Training is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-15-09, 10:39 PM
Junior Member
 
LongseerEldrad's Avatar
LongseerEldrad's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 28
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWithin View Post
I know this is probably a moot point by now, but I think that people seem to dismiss Ahriman as one of the most potent of the 40K psykers. I seem to remember an article titled "Heroes and Villains of the 40K universe" in WD yonks ago that mentioned that the guardians of the black library, the very nexus of the Eldars knowledge and research on chaos, crap themselves at the thought of Ahriman gaining entry. I mean the Eldar aren't exactly the most powerful force in the universe anymore but surely if Ahriman wasn't really a threat, they would be able to take care of him quite handily?

One problem with taking care of him; hes behind everyone else. He is a threat if he gets to the black library. So is everyone if they get all that knowlege.

also, I think we have skipped out the Hive Mind also. Once again it is not a "i can crush you in a second" psyker, it just controls millions upon millions of nids from the neighbouring galaxy. And please note, if the nids found the Eye of Terror, it will take an awful lot of pressure off the Imperium with all that Biomass pouring into it.....

Or maybe the Hive Mind is Tzeench!?!?!?

Oh yes and you say about the of the chaos gods and their deamons, realy, some of them are fragile. In Deus Encarmine, one large ship with many slave psykers was blown up above a planet and the legions of deamons attacked each other while the Dark Apostle tried to get his job done...


And if the emporer is so insignificant to the Gods, why do they pile their blessings on Abbadon-om when they could be fighting each other?


Please click on them, they need some love
LongseerEldrad is offline  
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-16-09, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
GiftofChaos1234's Avatar
GiftofChaos1234's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 275
Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongseerEldrad View Post
One problem with taking care of him; hes behind everyone else. He is a threat if he gets to the black library. So is everyone if they get all that knowlege.
you know it probably wouldn't make kharn the betrayer anymore dangerous. he would just kill all the eldar in there and bugger off. he probably wouldn't give a rat's ass about the library.
i mean if he sat down and started reading some of the books khorne would probably smite him or something anyway.

the dbz fan!
GiftofChaos1234 is offline  
 
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-16-09, 06:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Kale Hellas's Avatar
Kale Hellas's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: australia
Posts: 887
Reputation: 1
Default

"Also yea he started the war of Armaggedon but is it really that hard to trick a ork into attacking a world ?"

Name anyone else who has ever managed it?

im pretty sure the inquisitor who got the tyranids and orks into a battle by putting the genestealers there counts as causing the orks to attack something

and eldar harlequin soltaire's can handle turning into an image of slaanesh in the harlequin troope dances so i think that counts as powerful considering everyone else who tries goes insane


Last edited by Kale Hellas; 10-16-09 at 06:39 AM.
Kale Hellas is offline  
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-16-09, 09:38 AM
Bane of Empires
 
Child-of-the-Emperor's Avatar
Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,131
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongseerEldrad View Post
why do they pile their blessings on Abbadon-om when they could be fighting each other?
The Gods spend the Vast Majority of their time fighting each other in the Great Game. It is their purpose and largely only what there interested in.

Now the Point of blessing Abaddon is simply because;

If you Make your mortal followers more powerful they will wage bigger and more destructive wars, meaning you will feed off the emotions produced in both the short term and long term by the war, you will also simply feed off the success of your mortal followers. So by merely Blessing Abaddon they have earned themselves more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongseerEldrad View Post
One problem with taking care of him; hes behind everyone else. He is a threat if he gets to the black library. So is everyone if they get all that knowlege.
I think the point is that Ahriman is the only one to have ever come close to gaining entrence to the Black Library. Ahriman penetrated the Webway and was extremley close to gaining the power of the Library, this is why he is emphasised as more of a threat; Because he actively seeks the Black Library and is perfectly capable of reaching it.

Its Clear that Eldrad and the Eldar both highly feared Ahriman from the Eye of Terror Codex, check it out if you can



Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 10-16-09 at 09:42 AM.
Child-of-the-Emperor is offline  
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-16-09, 10:17 AM
Junior Member
IronWithin's Flag is: Scotland
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 10
Reputation: 1
Default

That was exactly the point I was making! Thank You :D
IronWithin is offline  
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-16-09, 09:52 PM
Junior Member
 
LongseerEldrad's Avatar
LongseerEldrad's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 28
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post

I think the point is that Ahriman is the only one to have ever come close to gaining entrence to the Black Library. Ahriman penetrated the Webway and was extremley close to gaining the power of the Library, this is why he is emphasised as more of a threat; Because he actively seeks the Black Library and is perfectly capable of reaching it.

Its Clear that Eldrad and the Eldar both highly feared Ahriman from the Eye of Terror Codex, check it out if you can
He was not the only one, however he is probably the closest by chaos standards (the have been a few inquisitors that were "alowed" in..) however him getting his hands on that knowlege would be deadly to existance.

Beside the point does anyone know much info on the black guardians? (i think they're called) as even in the eldar codex they are only just mentioned....


Also I withdraw my comment about the Hive Mind; I found out from my Tyranic superior that it is less of a thing and more of a thought process... anyway...


Please click on them, they need some love
LongseerEldrad is offline  
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-17-09, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Prince Endymion's Avatar
Prince Endymion's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 113
Reputation: 1
Default

This thread had gone on hilhariously too far.

People have already begun to repeat themselves in their posting and re-posting.

The Hierarchy of psychic power in 40k is pretty well established, and was listed several times in the first few posts in the this thread. The only discrepency is between the fans of the Chaos gods and the fans of the Emperor, respectively.

Unfortunately, there can and wil be NO answer for either side about who truly possesses the greater power. Not only is there no official account from GW about either side, but the sides of the story that fans have access to are deeply biased in favor of the codex being referenced.

Furthermore, people gravitate toward interests their mind can most easily relate to. Fans of the Emperor are thus becouse they find it somehow more logical (in their mind) to relate to that perspective. The reverse is also true about the Chaos gods and their fans.

What makes perfect sense to one fan may sound completely bogus to a another, and so no consensus will ever be reached.

Chaos, however, has just the right amount of vague, catch-all phrases such as "the chaos gods are beyond the comprehension of mortal minds", or are ancient beyond the founding of the universe" and so on, that they can never be based, or rebutted.

It is better that people simply choose what they see as most logical and stick with it, attempting to convice others is juvenile in this regard.

The weak will always be led by the strong. Where the strong cry out against fate, the weak bow their heads and succumb. There are many who are weak and many are their temptations. Despise the weak for they flock to the call of the Deamon and the Renegade. Pitty them and scorn their cries of innocence - it is better that one hundred innocents fall before the wrath of the Emperor than one kneels before the Deamon.

- First Book of Indoctrinations
Prince Endymion is offline  
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 06:14 PM
Bane of Empires
 
Child-of-the-Emperor's Avatar
Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,131
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongseerEldrad View Post
He was not the only one, however he is probably the closest by chaos standards (the have been a few inquisitors that were "alowed" in..) however him getting his hands on that knowlege would be deadly to existance.
The Library Guardians allowed a few Human Inquisitors entrence to the Black Library. It was safe to do as they were found to be uncorruptable, they didn't and couldn't have gained access by themselves, they were allowed in and pose no threat because of it.

Ahriman is the person/entity that has come closest to gaining entrence that would have used the information within for his own ends. No other has come so close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Endymion View Post
This thread had gone on hilhariously too far.

People have already begun to repeat themselves in their posting and re-posting.

The Hierarchy of psychic power in 40k is pretty well established, and was listed several times in the first few posts in the this thread. The only discrepency is between the fans of the Chaos gods and the fans of the Emperor, respectively.

Unfortunately, there can and wil be NO answer for either side about who truly possesses the greater power. Not only is there no official account from GW about either side, but the sides of the story that fans have access to are deeply biased in favor of the codex being referenced.

Furthermore, people gravitate toward interests their mind can most easily relate to. Fans of the Emperor are thus becouse they find it somehow more logical (in their mind) to relate to that perspective. The reverse is also true about the Chaos gods and their fans.

What makes perfect sense to one fan may sound completely bogus to a another, and so no consensus will ever be reached.

Chaos, however, has just the right amount of vague, catch-all phrases such as "the chaos gods are beyond the comprehension of mortal minds", or are ancient beyond the founding of the universe" and so on, that they can never be based, or rebutted.

It is better that people simply choose what they see as most logical and stick with it, attempting to convice others is juvenile in this regard.
Indeed. Although I think theres no argument. The Emperor is certainly the most powerful Psyker in the Galaxy.

The Chaos Gods are not Psykers.. and there powers and abilities cannot easily be compared to the Emperors. They are beings from seperate dimensions, dimensions which innatley have nothing in common and are complete opposites.

We know that the Emperor posed a threat to the Chaos Gods, so the Chaos Gods stopped warring amongst themselves and set in motion the Horus Heresy to remove the threat. The result was that the Emperor 'ascended' to the Golden Throne, and no longer poses a major threat to the Chaos Gods (in his 'current' state anyway) - hence why they have gone back to warring amongst themselves.

That being said, the Emperor alone is using his immense power to prevent Chaos from completley swamping the galaxy, powering the Astronomican to allow Imperial Warp Travel, Sealing the Imperial Webway Gate and preventing the Sol System from being swamped by Daemons, aswell as guiding the High Lords and other notable Imperials via his Tarot.

The Emperor and the Chaos Gods are in seperate leagues and cannot easily (maybe cannot be at all) be compared.

I basically argued that because the Emperor posed a threat to Chaos and Chaos removed that threat, that the Emperor's Imperium is crumbling, his existence is one of agony and Chaos is thriving and dominant in M41 that the Chaos Gods would arguably be superior. But I know you'll never agree Prince



Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
Child-of-the-Emperor is offline  
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-15-09, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
scolatae's Avatar
scolatae's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 222
Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Power means nothing without control.

Magnus had no control. (See what happened to him?)

Ahriman had no control. (See what happened to the 1k Sons?)

Rogue Psykers have no control. (Being conduits, rather than self contained individuals)

Eldrad has control. (Of most of the galaxy )

Being able to destroy a planet at will is nothing compared to the power to alter the future so that an individual/race never existed. You would never have a "1v1 Psychic Duel" with Eldrad, because he would already have manipulated you into being possessed by Chaos/dying on another battlefield/being in another part of the galaxy.
In the nicest possible way because I respect your other posts on this subject, Balls Magnus was second only to the Emperor and had incredible control, he was backed into a corner and betrayed by all he held dear then driven into the arms of chaos by Russ.(he was vastly more powerful than Maldacor).

knowledge is power, hide it well
scolatae is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome