Lionel johnsons "the dark angels" - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-07, 07:59 PM

when i found this out it led me to stop collecting my dark angels and start collecting Death guard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-07, 08:51 PM

Lionel and his poem seem to have as much in common with Lion'el and his Dark Angels as Poes "The Raven" and Corax have.
And that'd be not much.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-07, 09:15 PM

Bloodhound's Flag is: Australia

Location: On a mountain arguing with a yeti about whether or not I can use their computer.

oh..... Right.
My bad.

Add me on Xbox Live. Make sure you leave a message saying you're from Heresy though.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-07, 11:57 PM

DA are awesome why would u dtop collectin?! but like bloodhound thees and thous blah i got bored.

Ezekiels Lightning (Dark Angels)1500 pt:100%
Blood Axes Orks:1500 pt : 33%

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-07, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

its an old poeme, thats was the style of writing and mostly speaking, people dont realise this but if we were sent to the 41st mellenium or even the 1700's people wouldnt understand us at all they speak english but not our english. i can even imagine what a conversation in high gothic is like, would make my head hurt alot
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-07, 07:18 PM

High gothic is a completly different language is it not it could be derrived from any language as this is thousands of years in the future when who knows all races become one? I mean they all unite so who's to say its not just a mixture of hundreds of languages?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-08, 07:32 PM
Pally-HO!!!!

Captain Galus's Flag is: USA

the lion isnt based on lionel jonson or the poem at all, but the chapter itself draws from the history of the poet. lionel was gay at one point. however, lionel repented for his ways and wrote that poem about his dark side, which he strove the rest of his life to atone for.
the dark angels chapter is now consumed by its need to atone for an ancient wrongdoing...coincidence? i think not

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-08, 09:38 PM

It's funny, all this fuss about him being gay.

What I heard was the inner turmoil he was wrestling with was alcoholism.

Gotta disagree though that "the Lion isn't based on Lionel Johnson ... at all" though, he's pretty obviously the inspiration. When the background to the Dark Angels was first revealed, in late 1987 (when all the Raven's Wing rode jetbikes!) the Primarch of the Dark Angels was called "Lionel Johnson or Johansen". Not "Lion El'Johnson", but definitely "Lionel Johnson".

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-08, 05:04 AM
rgw

Yeah, reading way to much into the possible gay thing. I think the essence of the poem is that when you atone for something dark in your past, you feel like you have to make it up to society, yourself, God(or the Emperor) or people who depend on you. Which is what the Dark Angels are all about, atoning for the heresy of the past.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-08, 05:10 AM
Pally-HO!!!!

Captain Galus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Yeah, reading way to much into the possible gay thing. I think the essence of the poem is that when you atone for something dark in your past, you feel like you have to make it up to society, yourself, God(or the Emperor) or people who depend on you. Which is what the Dark Angels are all about, atoning for the heresy of the past.
hot damn dude you hit that nail on the head...kudos and rep to u sir

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode