How do you deal with the contradictions? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-09, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Revelations's Flag is: USA

Default How do you deal with the contradictions?

I'm trying to find the reference, but GW has plainly stated that everything GW publishes, whether it is consistent or contradictory, is official cannon. Now in the read (wherever/whatever) they explained that the fluff was always written from the perspectives of those that wrote it. In my opinion, that's a really great explanation to justify contradictions. It opens up possibilities for lies, deciet, misinformation, is Alpharius dead, what really happened on the Rock, etc.

I discussed this with my SO and she wasn't to pleased with the idea, citing that fluff should always be consistent. I disagreed explaining the above; the confusion, perspective and questioning being rather appropriatte for the 40k setting.

But how do you feel about it? Do you attempt to consolidate it in some fashion? Fill in gaps? Ignore it completely as mallicious lies? Share your thoughts.

Pondering...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-09, 09:17 PM

Default Consistency

Outside of any personal choice made on which fluff sounds "fluffier" or more in keeping with the nature that the fluff revolves around (I.E. Khorne wouldn't be a daisy picker if he alwas yelled "Blood for the Blood God!") Then the most likely choice would be to say the more recent material will usually supersede the older.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-09, 09:52 PM

contradictions are what make 40k the game we love. it allows he game to be flexible. if all fluff was true no nid gaunt could every hurt a marine, tau would always auto wound and hit do to auto aim, and necrons would never ever lose a battle simply because one shot from guas and no matter who or what you are or you have equipped you die end of story.

but because of contradictions we can have nids. play space marines. tau have to roll to hit and wound, and necrons have the ability to lose. so who cares what cannon or not the fact is contradiction allows to play the game which we love.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-09, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winst0n View Post
contradictions are what make 40k the game we love. it allows he game to be flexible. if all fluff was true no nid gaunt could every hurt a marine, tau would always auto wound and hit do to auto aim, and necrons would never ever lose a battle simply because one shot from guas and no matter who or what you are or you have equipped you die end of story.

Very true, infact how could you ever kill terminators? Without a couple of melta weapons?

But we arent talking about gameplay here, official cannon is fluff you can read and argue and discus, it doesnt have to be playable.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-09, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlFranz40k View Post
Very true, infact how could you ever kill terminators? Without a couple of melta weapons?

But we arent talking about gameplay here, official cannon is fluff you can read and argue and discus, it doesnt have to be playable.
yeah but i was trying to make the point that fluff is fine but it shouldn't ruin the game. i mean don't get dragged down in technicalities.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-09, 04:57 AM
Craw-Daddy

i don't like bullshit. "How do you deal with the contradictions?"

cleanse, purge, and purify.... hahaha
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-09, 06:49 AM

Lord of Rebirth's Flag is: Canada

I stick to general lines of consistent fluff and haven't had to deal with any contradictions myself. Also like in game terms contradictions don't work so play whatever you play and if you are using official rules you are good.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-09, 11:12 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

if fluff gets contradicting I either ignore because GW can't write fluff, or go with the one that sounds more interesting and ignore the other bit of fluff

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-09, 01:35 PM

CamTheApostle's Flag is: USA

The way I deal with the mind-numbing contradictions that pepper the elaborate stories of the 40k universe is by reciting the MST3k mantra.

Just kidding (only partially). But the way I explain it away in my own take on the fluff depends on the type of fluff information. For historical accounts, I take care of things by viewing most of them as stories. These 'histories' have been past down for a very long time. You add into this the gloating nature of the Imperium and its internal propaganda machine, and you have what I like to call 'legends'. As for technical information, I look at it in a number of possibilities. For small things, I view it as a 'time and space' difference. Sure, it was green in the 36th millennium but it became blue in the 38th millennium. For bigger things, I jump back to the stories and legends things. The majority of fluff is imperial documents, which could be very flawed.

Mainly, if I find two pieces of fluff that don't match, I chose one and explain the other away. Its that simple.

Well, that is my $0.03 worth (damn you weak american dollar!)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-09, 02:01 PM

Yeah, what Cam and stella said. Pick the best one.

I also treat fluff as merely someone's biased 'history', as I've oulined in a few threads. It's mostly "Imperial" explanations for things, and frankly, they have no grasp of scientific method, so it's hardly surprising (I reckon) that their explanations don't hold water. I've yet to see "Eldar" or "Tau" fluff (ie, written from their point of view), I suspect it would be very very different in how it explains things.

Other times (eg, the Blood Angels fighting Genestealers before the Tyrannids even reached the Galaxy) it's because one lot of fluff has replaced another. In that case, best to stick to the latest one.

:source criticism cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode