Chaos Grey Knights (something that makes sense) - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-10, 02:16 PM

"Flipping" a GK wouldn't actually gain Chaos much... as the force is designed to counter them. When pitted against any other foe, they're astartes with psi-weapons. A true counter to a GK would be a special unit forged by Chaos to be the anti-GK -- that is, a group designed to hunt the GK and counter their tactics.

From fluff, probably easier to taylor yourself a custom squad of CSM and outfit them as a GK hunting group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-10, 02:37 PM

Just one? Can't we allow for like... three, if the needs be there?

Anywho. I think the idea of the forces of Chaos having an elite saint-hunting task force of Grey Knight-like Chaos Marines could be cool. Saints are the enemy of Chaos, really, as they're living avatars of the Emperor's will...

Just like it's cool to see a Chaos founded, power armored all-woman army dedicated to either the pantheon or individual Orders Majoris dedicated to each of the four in turn.

I'm just waiting for someone to suggest a Chaos variant of Deathwatch. But I'm not expecting that soon, as Deathwatch isn't as badass, hence why they don't get a codex... =P
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-10, 02:46 PM

calon's Flag is: Canada

It's not impossible for a Grey Knight to fall to Chaos. In the Grey Knight Omnibus on several occasions you read about their purity runs burning their mind, blocking out all the Chaotic whispers. For their protective wards to fail, I would imagine you would need a combination of two or more greater daemons, and a horde of lesser ones. Not to mention, all the while being in an area warped by Chaos.

That might be enough to rupture the wards, leaving them vulnerable to Chaos infection. But, a Grey Knight also lives with the burden of knowing none have fallen to Chaos before him, so, he would take his own life before succumbing to the darkness.

As far as being revived and corrupted, if a Grey Knight falls in battle and can not be recovered - unable to land transports into the combat zone - then they will be stripped of their armour, weapons, and tomes. The body will be burred several feet into the ground, where it can remain secret to the enemy, and still be recovered afterwards.

"Hope on the eve of battle is to desire yesterday's weather to have been enjoyable."
Recreational writer of V (on sixth) mini-novels.

post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-10, 03:03 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

The presense of the greatest of tzeentch's champions haven't brought down the wards I doubt they can be. Even if they were, we know they can resist corruption without their psychic shields so I am fairly sure they can do it without the runes of warding. You cannot corrupt a grey knight.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 07-28-10 at 03:07 PM.
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-10, 05:14 PM
gauntsghost025's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
You cannot corrupt a grey knight.
I love how you always just make statements like this. It may be hard to corrupt them, but they are mortals of the material universe. If Tzeetnch himself came down, I'm sure they wouldn't stand a chance. You look at fluff, of course its going to show the GKs resisting every temptation of chaos, because that's the point of the fluff!! You think there's going to be a book around that has them falling to chaos?? We would never know.

I doubt burring o body a few feet underground would make it all the difficult for Grandfather Nurgle to find I he really wanted to.
post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-10, 06:13 PM

calon's Flag is: Canada

If a Grey Knight was brought back from the dead, and, in doing so, was a tool of Chaos, then he would be a shell compared to his former self. He would not have his force weapon, storm bolter/whichever weapon he carried, no aegis armour, no relics, nothing but himself. He would be a great warrior, one who knows no fear, but, everything that makes him a Grey Knight (his holy powers) would cease to be.

If a Grey Knight's psyker runes were shattered by a (rather, several) daemons and fell to the promises of Chaos while alive, he would be an asset of great use. But, brought back from the dead, a far cry from special.

"Hope on the eve of battle is to desire yesterday's weather to have been enjoyable."
Recreational writer of V (on sixth) mini-novels.

Last edited by calon; 07-28-10 at 06:17 PM.
post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-10, 06:32 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauntsghost025 View Post
I love how you always just make statements like this. It may be hard to corrupt them, but they are mortals of the material universe. If Tzeetnch himself came down, I'm sure they wouldn't stand a chance. You look at fluff, of course its going to show the GKs resisting every temptation of chaos, because that's the point of the fluff!! You think there's going to be a book around that has them falling to chaos?? We would never know.

I doubt burring o body a few feet underground would make it all the difficult for Grandfather Nurgle to find I he really wanted to.
The fluff is what this section is about... WTF do you think I am arguing about? Of course everything is possible in reality, as long as it adheres to the physical laws of out universe, but not in fluff.... It's fiction but it has it's own laws. "You", I believe he is working with his legion or something, cannot corrupt them. Even a god couldn't because you have to allow them to corrupt you, a gray knight never would.

And even if you broke his wards and removed his powers all the psycho indoctrinate he has undergone would make him beyond anyones ability to sway. The only was to do it would be to destroy his mind and build it from the ground up and if you did that he would no longer be who he was and would therefore not be a grey knight.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 07-28-10 at 09:55 PM.
post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-10, 09:30 PM

In the spirit of the GK's design, I'd say their neigh uncorruptable. Is it possible? Sure, so is a bolter round turning into a pink bunny mid flight. Anything is possible, few things are probable - even in a fictional universe.

As such, following general rules - based on history or design - tells us GK's are probably not the best fit when trying to pull into a chaos formfactor. It would be badass however to take the GK models, thorow some CSM bits on them and give them a saint-hunting background as desribed. They aren't dead GK's, rather astartes forged into mocking GK's arrmor designation (and look good doing it...).

Psi for a Psi - 'tis a good philosophy.
post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-10, 09:45 PM

u could have a grey knight that was funneled through the warp and reversed so his weapons strenghen deamons and hurt non deamons

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-10, 10:44 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
I've always quite liked the idea of Chaotic GK, but I'm yet to come across a good reason for them fluff wise.

Chaos GK are always going to be difficult to pull off thanks to so many "I know that no Grey Knights have ever fallen to Chaos, these are the only ones." stories in GW and gaming clubs since the GK were invented.
I agree with norm on this one. This keeps comming up and the response is usually the same. If you want chaos gk's then no-one is stopping you, but if the fluff you use seems 'contrived' for only the purpose of getting gks into your force then expect people to give you a hard time.

On the other hand there is no reason you cannot do a counts as army using the DH dex or create a chaos equivalent. Someone suggested minor demon weapons instead of nemesis weapons. Chaos sorcerers have force weapons too, use the Kai gun from the old dex instead of the psycannon. Demonic protection instead of the effects of the aegis suit. It can be done, it needs to be done thoroughly.

Out of interest i have a small force of dh who i use as a dark mech counts as force for my traitor guard. GK's= advanced combat androids with stealth systems(shrouding) using the old chaos android models. GKt's= heavy combat androids using warmachine Khador shocktroopers.
Inquisitors= Dark magos and their retinues.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode