before the grey knights? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

before the grey knights?

were there ever any chapters before the grey knights that were put through grey knight style training? i cant help thinking ive heard of something like this for a couple of chapters but cant remember where...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 01:13 PM
Craw-Daddy

hmmm. From what i hear... the chapter was based off the remaining loyalists of the traitor legions. I could actually see this being possible.

I think in some ways it makes them purer and stronger than the other legion astartes, including the loyal ones because they have confronted pressure and the ultimate sacrifices for their loyalties. If you don't know of what loyalists im talking about; then here are the ones; the Death Guard from the flight of the Eisenstein along with that one Luna Wolf, and the possible survivors of Istaavan masacre (some rummours say that the one dreadnought who was looking for the underground chambers found it and saved them, including Loken who never truly was proved to be dead.)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 01:15 PM
Craw-Daddy

infact I think that would make for a perfect story. The return of Loken in the now time, to rematch Abbadon during the final battle.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 01:19 PM

Grey Knights aren't from the time of the Heresy. They have only been around for the last couple of foundings of Space Marines Chapters. In reference to Nathaniel Garro of the Death Guard and the others at the end of the Flight Of The Eisenstein, they may or may not have been the beginning of the Inquisition. I tend to believe they were the beginning of what later becomes known as the Inquisition. The Grey Knights were specifically created by the Ordo Malleus to combat Daemons and warp entities. Every single one of them is a psychic, and is psychically attuned to their own armour and weapons, no one but that Grey Knight may use that set of armour and weapons. None of the surviving Space Marines form the Flight Of The Eisenstein could have been the founding father of the Grey Knights as none of them were pyschic in any way, shape or form.

Last edited by Grik; 02-19-09 at 01:23 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 01:21 PM

CamTheApostle's Flag is: USA

You mean, was there another chapter composed entirely of psykers, probably using a geneseed created using the Emperor's DNA, training specifically to destroy daemons, and equipped with advanced weapons and equipment supplied directly by Mars to complete their task?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say NO. My reasons are simple, and will appear in a nifty list format:

1) It is suggested the Grey Knights were formed right after the Horus Heresy to deal specifically with the very real threat of Chaos and daemons. Before the siege of Terra, few within the Imperium knew about daemons. Then the Forces of Horus brought the Codex Chaos Daemon to the siege of Terra and unleashed them in Apocalypse game after Apocalypse game. Thus the need for the Grey Knights was seen, and their codex was created.

2) If the Grey Knights were created right after the Horus Heresy, then there were no 'Chapters' as you understand them. Their were Legions, which were many times larger and far cooler then Chapters. Now, some fluff says the these Legions were broken down into things resembling Chapters (which contained companies), but I think that was just the authors being stupid and trying to tie things to the current 40k understanding of how marines are broken down. But that is another argument.

3) The closest thing that could have resembled the Grey Knights would have been either the Adeptus Custodian, who are like super-marines and the Emperor's personal bodyguard. But they didn't hunt daemons, didn't have force weapons, and wore gold instead of silver. Also, each Legion probably had a group of elites that were about as cool as the GKs. Sorta like super-honor guard. Small force.

That help answer your question?

Well, that is my $0.03 worth (damn you weak american dollar!)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 01:24 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Grey Knights were created immediately in the aftermath of the Heresy, (despite the odd numbering of Chapter 666) to counter the threats that the Daemons produced.

You may be thinking about the Exorcist Chapter - they are a Chapter that's also made for Hunting of Daemons, and have some access to equipment that the Grey Knight have access to, such as Psycannon Bolts, and forbidden texts for their Librarians. During the training, they are possessed by a minor Daemon, and then left to simmer, then they are exorcised, becoming an Illuminati. This means that they can't become possessed by anything other than the greater daemons (think of it like a Vaccination).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
The Grey Knights were created immediately in the aftermath of the Heresy, (despite the odd numbering of Chapter 666) to counter the threats that the Daemons produced.
Any proof to this statement? Not trying to be a dick mate, obviously, but I have always heard that they weren't created until 6 or 7 Foundings ago in the current time line. Like in the last 1.000 years or so.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 01:37 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeah, no worries, no offence taken.

Codex Daemonhunters, Page 6, The Grey Knights, Second Paragraph

"Legend tells that it was around the time of the Second Founding that the Emperor of Mankind ordered the creation of this secret Chapter of Space Marines.

It goes further on in that Paragraph - "The Ordo Malleus was in its infancy at the time, the corruption of Horus lending new impetus to the creation of an order tasked with the hunting and elimination of the Daemonic".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 01:51 PM

Fair enough. It's been a while since I read the Daemon hunters Codex. Good to know, now just to add that bit of knowledge to my brain. Thanks mate.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-09, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
You may be thinking about the Exorcist Chapter
i was, are there any other chapters that work like that? not all psykers but that were trained by being possessed or something? im thinking of fluff for a chaos army...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode