The Fate of Baal fluff - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-17, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
The Fall of Shadowbrink shows us that the daemons cannot draw any kind of sustenance from the tyranids. Bugs simply don't have any kind of emotion or soul, at least not in any measure the daemons are able to draw power from.

If Ka'bandha really was behind this, it was an act of desperation and nothing more.

I know there's nothing mentioned about them here, but I also wouldn't rule out some necron involvement. The Silent King admitted to a healthy respect and even admiration for Sanguinius, so it isn't entirely impossible that the necrons are still pulling strings where they can.
Not an encounter Ive heard of, elaborate? Devastation of Baal will surely cast more light on the KDK involvement and plans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-17, 02:41 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Not an encounter Ive heard of, elaborate? Devastation of Baal will surely cast more light on the KDK involvement and plans.
The Fall of Shadowbrink was a tyranid invasion of a world that hosted a Grey Knight garrison. As more and more defenders were consumed, the GK were eventually forced to join the fighting until they too perished. This unleashed the Daemon they had been keeping sealed, which in turn sparked a full on daemonic incursion. The daemons were dismayed to find these aliens rather than the human quarry they had been expecting, and set about exterminating every tyranid they could find.

Initially the daemons' raw power swung the battle in their favour. However the description of the battle makes it clear that the daemons could not feed of tyranid deaths the way they could on other mortals, and the longer the battle went on, the more their power drained and momentum swung back to the tyranids. The tyranids saw the daemons not as prey, but as a rival predator competing for its prize. Between the warp static caused by the nids' Shadow in the Warp and the daemons' inability to feed off their foe, they were eventually defeated.

I will quote the paragraph that follows after a Greater Daemon of Nurgle was blasted apart by a brood of zoanthropes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranid Codex, Page 30
With one of their number fallen, the remaining lords of the Abominatum realised the nature of the battle had changed. The Hive Mind was leeching their energies, severing the Daemons from the sustaining powers of the Empyrean. No real blood flowed for Khorne, just worthless alien ichor. As each rancid disease was unleashed by the children of Nurgle, so the next brood of tyranids had grown resistant to it. Without the fear or devotion of true mortals to sustain them, the Daemons were foundering fast.

It goes on to describe the eventual defeat of the Daemon horde, and the tyranids resume their feeding process. However this lore makes it clear that if Sanguinius' old rival had indeed engineered the tyranids' defeat, he did it solely to preserve the Blood Angels as his own prize as there is no other reward in fighting the tyranids as far as Daemons are concerned.
neferhet likes this.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-17, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

I think you have it pretty much spot on, he wants the Angels for khorne, especially since he had failed claiming Sanguinius.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-17, 08:12 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
I think you have it pretty much spot on, he wants the Angels for khorne, especially since he had failed claiming Sanguinius.
the angels, willingly or not, already feed khorne when they succumb to the thirst. there are few beings in the galaxy that are so bloodthirsty without being a berzerker!! Of course Kabanda wants them alive!
ntaw likes this.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-17, 05:23 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
the angels, willingly or not, already feed khorne when they succumb to the thirst. there are few beings in the galaxy that are so bloodthirsty without being a berzerker!! Of course Kabanda wants them alive!
So I guess what you're really saying is "this is awesome!", right?

I would be pretty disappointed if BA were turned after all the bullshit they've been through, all the while holding to their morals and defending the Imperium as best they could. The Sanguinor even showed up and bitch-slapped Dante when he succumbed to the Thirst and took it out on civilians once. That 10k+ years of resistance through constant hardship is a large part of what makes them appealing to me.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-17, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
So I guess what you're really saying is "this is awesome!", right?

I would be pretty disappointed if BA were turned after all the bullshit they've been through, all the while holding to their morals and defending the Imperium as best they could. The Sanguinor even showed up and bitch-slapped Dante when he succumbed to the Thirst and took it out on civilians once. That 10k+ years of resistance through constant hardship is a large part of what makes them appealing to me.
Of course that is awesome!
No, really, what i meant was that (perhaps in an old fashioned fluff perspective) in a truly grimdark setting, those who fight with such martial pride, bloody frenzy and even falling into a berserkerish state... even if they fight for the emperor, they feed Khorne. Even if they atone, pray, resist...khorne is there, feeding on the slightest fault. And fault is there in abundance (all those chaps in black armour and the X painted on it )
So, i guess kabanda would want to keep it's buffet going on...
even if Guilliman reinforces/replaces the BA with an all primareis force, i recall it was said that genetic flaws kept showing, so... bigger BA, bigger feast for khorne!
Wouldn't that be awesome??!?

Quote:
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-17, 06:13 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Wink

"Look Blood Angels, I realize you've built this up in your head into a whole relationship, but really, I just don't feel about you that way. Yes, I had a date with Sanguinius but HE came to ME and that was ten thousand years ago! Just because I happened to be in the same system now, doesn't mean I came here for YOU. I was only here for work-related reasons, and this obsession you have with the rare times our paths cross is really getting creepy. Just... maybe try and get some counseling, get your head on straight, you know?" -Ka'Bandha
neferhet likes this.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-17, 07:44 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
So, i guess kabanda would want to keep it's buffet going on...
Totally get where you're coming from, BA definitely provide some good juju for the Blood God. I also wouldn't count out Necron involvement just yet but we'll see how the story develops.

Holy crap I want that Devastation of Baal book out yesterday.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-17, 11:12 PM

necron involvement should stop...gw has used it as deus ex machina enough times to make it old and stale. But awesome nonetheless!

Quote:
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-17, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
necron involvement should stop...gw has used it as deus ex machina enough times to make it old and stale. But awesome nonetheless!
I want to read about what happened when the Silent King met Sanguinius.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode