Trefoil of Legions: Purpose of the Salamanders? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-17, 07:36 AM

I think regardless of intentions of big E; for the fluff and the writing, I think its quite good that the least visually recognisable as 'human' are the ones with the most humanity. The interactions between them and other legions in the snippets I've read bring some fantastic insight into how far the space marines are from being human. It's easy (as humans) to humanise everything we encounter [just think how you might view two dogs interacting; we almost instantly impose our own human interactions on them to reconcile how they interact and how we think they should interact].
There's a bit in Helsreach where Grimaldus is absolutely flabbergasted that the Salamanders want to 'help humans survive' instead of simply bashing ork face. Its almost anathema that you'd pick guard duty over attacking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-17, 07:54 AM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

On the other hand, the space wolves also have a soft spot for mortals when not pretending to be growly savages, the imperial guard in particular. Been several ocassions where theyve gone out of their way because of the guard being in trouble. Like the months of shame or the battle for montberg spaceport
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-17, 03:21 PM

Entarion's Flag is: Czech Republic

Good discussion here. I have encountered Salamanders in Helsreach for the first time and I didn't like them for what Brother Dextus wrote above.

BUT on the other hand Salamanders are constant reminder to me that there can be more "humane" chapters with feelings. It is very important for me when developing my own fluff because I am empathetic human after all and it is hard for me to write about killing machines with suppressed emotions.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-17, 09:25 AM

Salamanders | Warhammer 40k | Fandom powered by Wikia
Looking under shadow of a veiled creation.

Seems the Salamanders was used as a rapid response force to tough threats behind the lines of the great crusade. Such as sudden space hulk arrivals or xenos treats. Which whittled down their numbers and gave them extensive contacts with mortal soldiery. Often the only astartes force available, due to everyone else pushing the borders of the imperium. So they seem to have been planned and used as gatekeepers and defenders since their inception.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-17, 01:12 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

One other similarity though this might be very superficial, these are the only 3 founding legions who inherited traits related to their animal totems from their gene seed/ primarch. Wolves, dragons, and hydras. The Luna wolves had wolves in their name but I don't recall any animal traits.

Everything else is more abstract . . . Greek letters, hands, angels, books,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-17, 01:43 PM

Wouldnt exactly call the Alpha legion to have animalistic traits on par with the sallies and wolves. their whole hydra stick is a modus operandi, no unusual physical changes like what the 2 others have.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode