Rise of the Primarch Plot Summary from B&C - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-17, 10:28 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Gonna have to get a "Stay Zero" t-shirt, but with a picture of Cypher on it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-17, 10:54 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Cypher still mysterious, only thing confirmed is that he apparently wants to get into the Throne room - Guilliman appears to know something about the sword he carries but isn't sharing with the rest of the class.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-17, 10:59 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Was there ever confirmation before this that Cypher was actually trying to get to Terra specifically?
Not specifically, but it's eluded to at least twice in the dataslate that preceded this release. Most clearly in this passage, speaking specifically about the sword on his back:

Quote:
One of the characteristics that defines the mysterious Cypher is the sword that he
carries. On every world where he has been sighted, Cypher has always bore a
sword, yet no matter how pressed he has been in combat, he has never yet drawn
the blade forth, either to attack or even in his own defence. Even on the rare
occasions when both pistols were struck from his hands, the robed figure did not
draw his blade. Some of the Unforgiven have speculated that the blade is none
other than the famed Lion Sword – the blade of their Primarch that was lost when
the Lion disappeared. Others say it is a new weapon made of the same meteor that
produced the metal for the Heavenfall Blades borne by the leaders of the Dark
Angels today. There are those within the Inner Circle that speak of the ebon Sword
of Luther, the treacherous sword that some believe slew Lion El’Jonson before he
vanished into the Warp storm. They whisper that it is Cypher’s goal to reach
Terra, to finally draw forth that sword for the first and last time, using the weapon
to slay the Emperor, striking him down from his Golden Throne. Some
few have even suggested that Cypher will kneel before the Emperor, offering him
the blessed blade and by this deed seeking final redemption for the Unforgiven.
In
the end, all that is known for certain is that the sheathed weapon is yet another
mystery.
Emphasis added if you don't feel like reading the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Also, if the Imperials had just witnessed first hand that this Yvraine could resurrect the dead, why would Roboute not then make it a point to get her to Daddy fucking ASAP?
I'm pretty sure this is the excerpt detailing Yvraine's departure, though I'm not sure it will answer your question. Jacked from Atia's blog.

Kinda seems to me like they were pretty much free to leave after rendering crucial assistance and too dangerous to take forcibly.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 03-12-17 at 11:06 PM.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-17, 11:42 PM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post

There are grammar issues sprinkled throughout the summary and the person who wrote it chose to include kernels of humour that were at times, in my opinion, out of place.
Wow, you must find the internet a hellish place of constant agony if imperfect grammar upsets you so.
I, on the other hand, rather liked his occasional spasms of humour. To each his own.

I agree with your views on Cypher. To come so close to completing his task and find himself screwed over.

It turns out that Chaos has their own band...
https://youtu.be/rTGzcdq0_NQ
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-17, 11:55 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Cypher promptly and mysteriously escapes his cell on Terra, we'll hear more from him I'm sure.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-17, 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer View Post
Wow, you must find the internet a hellish place of constant agony if imperfect grammar upsets you so.
Not really, no; I find the things I view on the internet don't seem to have that problem for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer View Post
I agree with your views on Cypher. To come so close to completing his task and find himself screwed over.
Thats actually a point of contention I have with the Cypher portion, assuming the summary did not miss or ignore it we have no idea what his task was beyond get to the throne. I'd be happy if they would have just had Cypher tell Guilliman, and the primarch detected that Cypher was holding something back.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-17, 12:36 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

My main problem with this book... you know how every writing class ever will include "Show, don't tell"? This book is completely full of the reader being told of vital story elements that we would have REALLY liked to have seen rather than be told about in a single throwaway line. Instead of focusing on the characters and the story, it's going through breakneck speeds through anything that vaguely resembles those things to focus on scenery descriptions and battles.

It's actually made worse by the white-on-black shorts that show what could have been. Guilliman's conversation with Yvraine when she's leaving is half a page of goodness that shows an understanding has grown between them - which we've seen nothing of beyond that. Similar for the triumvirate of the Imperium, all three of those around from Fall of Cadia to the end of Rise of a Primarch. While it's obvious they interact a lot in two of these books (with Guilliman added to it in Rise), we don't get to SEE much of it.

The cast is fantastic, the script they got to work with pretty horrible.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-17, 07:44 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
My main problem with this book... you know how every writing class ever will include "Show, don't tell"? This book is completely full of the reader being told of vital story elements that we would have REALLY liked to have seen rather than be told about in a single throwaway line. Instead of focusing on the characters and the story, it's going through breakneck speeds through anything that vaguely resembles those things to focus on scenery descriptions and battles.

It's actually made worse by the white-on-black shorts that show what could have been. Guilliman's conversation with Yvraine when she's leaving is half a page of goodness that shows an understanding has grown between them - which we've seen nothing of beyond that. Similar for the triumvirate of the Imperium, all three of those around from Fall of Cadia to the end of Rise of a Primarch. While it's obvious they interact a lot in two of these books (with Guilliman added to it in Rise), we don't get to SEE much of it.

The cast is fantastic, the script they got to work with pretty horrible.
This has been the case with most codexes and expansions to date. Remember that the aim of these books isn't really to tell a story in the same fashion as a novel, but rather to outline crucial points in a plot that moves forward. It leaves a lot to the readers' imaginations to fill in the blanks on these fronts, and will also give the writers much greater freedom in the potential scenario that novels are indeed being written for these campaigns.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode