How do Freeblade knights live for so long? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

The Final Frontier's Flag is: USA

Default How do Freeblade knights live for so long?

Was reading the Imperial Knights Codex and some things just didn't make sense, so an Imperial Knight is a combat walker comparly to a smaller titan that for the most part is mobile and got a big fudging chainsword or lance with a highly trained human pilot ok...sounds cool and maybe be gundam eventually lol But what I don't get is how the hell do some FreeBlade Knights live for hundreds, if not thousands of years when there just humans?

The Green Knight of Bretonna cough..cough I mean Gerantius, The Forgotten Knight or Green Knight has lived for thousands of years wih no explanation whatsoever. It is controlled by a smart AI? doubt it, maybe descents of the original pilot but seems unlikely to me, Could they be affected by the Warp? possibly

"I am Honored to call every single one of you my brother.....You will die today, I will die today but if we must die for the greater good of humanity so be it. With our deaths, our children will blossom into the stars with the Primarches of anew and start a new, grander crusade in the name of the Emperor and as the Emperor's chosen, we will guide them to that path......Show them the true fury of the Emperor's wraith one last time my brothers!.....Forward in the name of the Emperor and may you find salvation with the Emperor when the end comes for you.

- Chapter Master Nilus Pentis of the Ultra Hawks,
00.? 42M, Second battle of Terra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 07:07 AM
Feed

Freeblade or not, most Knights will have ties to the Adeptus Mechanicus and the plethora of bionic augmentations available to them. It would be a simple matter to barter such things in exchange for their service.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 10:51 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

In the case of the green knight it might not necessarily have been the same pilot for all those years. No matter how mysterious or enigmatic, even a single knight cannot operate without a substantial support crew. Maybe a suitable replacement was chosen and trained to maintain the legend when the current pilot inevitably fails.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

I doubt the Mechanicus would give him implants or have him made into a Pseudo Astartes for nothing, no one in 40K is really generous lol

I want to believe it's the descent of the original pilot but that idea just seems Alien to me although it makes the most sense. Wouldn't be surprised if it somehow made a pact with the Choas Gods(Khorne probably) and is able to enter the Warp safely and remain until the planet is invaded once more then leaves and secretly kills for Khorne, giving the demon his drugs. I don't know, most of the time, most things that get explained eventually usually turn up screwed up like I just mentioned.

"I am Honored to call every single one of you my brother.....You will die today, I will die today but if we must die for the greater good of humanity so be it. With our deaths, our children will blossom into the stars with the Primarches of anew and start a new, grander crusade in the name of the Emperor and as the Emperor's chosen, we will guide them to that path......Show them the true fury of the Emperor's wraith one last time my brothers!.....Forward in the name of the Emperor and may you find salvation with the Emperor when the end comes for you.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

The Green Knight has been active for about eight thousand years guarding the secrets of Alaric Prime. Theres no way thats its the same pilot, especially given how knights, both freeblades and houses, operate (IE nobles that pass the knight down through their families.)

In the case of the Green Knight, it protects potent secrets so the one piloting it is clearly not receiving enhancements for nothing. It is a guardian, performing the duty of guarding the secrets within Alaric Prime's mountain.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 03:53 PM

koosbeer's Flag is: South Africa

The Knight pilot also inherits some of the experience and "spirit" of the previous pilots of the knight when they bond with the knight, or that is how it happened during the heresy. So even though the pilot may be different the "spirit" of the knight may remain similar. Its like a Dr Who incarnation. Each doctor is the same but different. Same for the knights ;)

I do think the pilots change over time as stated by KF. In the case of chaos, it can be the same knight as the machine spirit is supplanted by a chaos entity so the knight becomes possessed. My 5 cents worth.

“From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!”
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 04:20 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Frontier View Post
I doubt the Mechanicus would give him implants or have him made into a Pseudo Astartes for nothing, no one in 40K is really generous lol
As far as I remember, not all knightly houses have a relationship with the AdMech, and in some cases actively resisting attempts by the AdMech to bring the houses under their umbrella. A large house has everything it needs to augment its pilots and maintain its suits without help from Mars.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

What the hell could be in the Alaric Prime vaults that would need to be protected for like 8,000 years? If it contains hersey tech it would be destroyed or if it has forbidden tech than ooh

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-17, 09:28 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Frontier View Post
What the hell could be in the Alaric Prime vaults that would need to be protected for like 8,000 years? If it contains hersey tech it would be destroyed or if it has forbidden tech than ooh
The Fountain of Youth, obviously.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-17, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I thought a sister of battle would want to break it down and search for hersey..hmm.....interesting

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in