Are there Rough Rider Regiments that are basically medieval knights? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-16, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

The Final Frontier's Flag is: USA

Default Are there Rough Rider Regiments that are basically medieval knights?

Was just curious if there were any rough rider regiments that are basically medieval knights, basically in plated armour with lances like in WHF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-16, 06:36 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I don't know if that's explained explicitly in the lore, but we do know that the Imperium includes medieval worlds. I think you could make a very easy justification for that, as long as the rest of your army worked with it thematically.

So I would hope to see all manner of heraldry painted on the tanks and banners. Units and vehicles named and painted as mythical creatures (dragons, magical stags, manticores, hippogryphs, basilisks, etc.)

Ya' know, clear signs that the regiments were maintaining their identity despite being inducted into a futuristic space fairing army.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-16, 09:58 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Mugal Kamir is basically a medieval knight, well a Hunnic warrior to be precise. The only thing that is semi-standard about outriders are their hunting lances, which are just normal lance with a bomb that detonates on contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-16, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Now that's what I'd do If I had an Imperial Guard army. Most Rough Rider regiments I've read about are usually 19th century Dragoons or Ancient Era horsemen. Are there regiments that use power armor? Power armor plated Knights on genetically created horses with Lances that act as lances and as Lasguns be too much lol
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-16, 04:14 PM

Um, lore wise 99.99% of IG regiments do NOT even have access to power armor, it's really expensive, and there are a lot of guardsmen. And if they did have access to it, it's probably not going to the grunts.

Which is why gamewise guardsmen are equipped with flak armor (akin to modern military armor).

Some regiments might be equipped with carapace armor (4+ armor) but again its not common at all.

----

For my Rough Riders, I use the old Bretonian Knights.

Quote:
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-16, 04:30 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Are these are close to what you're thinking of?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-16, 06:48 PM

ahhh the good ole Death Korps of Krieg.

Quote:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-16, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Look like 19th century Cavalry lol

When I meant knights, I was thinking of something like Empire Knights from WF basically with lasguns or las pistols. There is no reason really, was just curious when I reading about the Rough Riders.

So does power armor cost more then producing a Lemun Russ or tanks in general? so I guess an elite regiment from a forge world wouldn't have access to PA huh?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-16, 02:42 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Frontier View Post
Ah well. It's sci-fi, I guess just convert up your models and write whatever backstory you like.

EDIT: Maybe a Dark Angels successor Chapter would fit the knightly order in power armour on modified super horses that can deal with the weight?
Fallen likes this.

Last edited by ntaw; 12-04-16 at 03:40 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-16, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Frontier View Post

When I meant knights, I was thinking of something like Empire Knights from WF basically with lasguns or las pistols. There is no reason really, was just curious when I reading about the Rough Riders.

So does power armor cost more then producing a Lemun Russ or tanks in general? so I guess an elite regiment from a forge world wouldn't have access to PA huh?
In general I would say yes, Power Armor costs more to produce/maintain tanks. Understand that most space marine chapters have to cobble together suits of power armor. There is a reason why not everyone is wearing the newest set of power armor. (Mark 8 I think) Things are even worse for terminator armor.

That said this is for space marines, perhaps power armor for normal humans don't have all of the fancy stuffs.

In other words, go with @ntaw 's words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Ah well. It's sci-fi, I guess just convert up your models and write whatever backstory you like.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode