Can Necrons Rust - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-16, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Mr. Vulcanator's Flag is: USA

Default Can Necrons Rust

I've read the page for Necrodermis and read a lot of the page on Necrons and I've found no answer. Can necrons/necrodermis rust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-16, 04:07 PM

Most likely not.

Probably some BL writer has described "rusty" necrons in some novels to increase "very ancient" feeling, but I think that the whole point of necrodermis is to be a super awesome living metal, and it would be really silly if it could actually get rust.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-16, 05:59 PM

The Final Frontier's Flag is: USA

Never heard of such a thing but probably not since they were created by the ancient ones to be immortal warriors, making their body rust would exactly be the smartest thing when you want immortal machine like warriors. For a fluff created army, am sure it be possible with an ancient virus or something, not sure am not a Necron expert but it's not that far out like people wanting Female Adeptus Astartes.

"I am Honored to call every single one of you my brother.....You will die today, I will die today but if we must die for the greater good of humanity so be it. With our deaths, our children will blossom into the stars with the Primarches of anew and start a new, grander crusade in the name of the Emperor and as the Emperor's chosen, we will guide them to that path......Show them the true fury of the Emperor's wraith one last time my brothers!.....Forward in the name of the Emperor and may you find salvation with the Emperor when the end comes for you.

- Chapter Master Nilus Pentis of the Ultra Hawks,
00.? 42M, Second battle of Terra

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-16, 06:10 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

If your plan to beat Necrons is to pray for rain, I suggest you come up with a better one! Lol

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-16, 02:40 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

In nightbringer, where Uriel ventris goes hunting for the plotters, he comes by a hill of strange metal that is rusting and dying after the plotters had removed a necron relic from it.

Sounded like necrodermis to me. Necrodermis has been described as living metal.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-17, 10:00 AM
Feed

Sorry to revive this, but more recent necron lore likens necrodermis to a form of nanotechnology. So it follows that it requires a power source, and in the absence of such it reverts to an inert substance no different from any other metal.

This would explain the example that takes place in Nightbringer, as well as why some necrons can appear to be rusty.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-17, 02:15 PM

PlagueMarine's Flag is: USA

Hmm, I always thought that the necrodermis needed a power source (given I don't think it's mentioned anywhere that they reconstruct themselves with warp magic that leaves electric of some kind I would imagine). Though, even without a power source, I wouldn't think they'd rust. If they haven't discovered stainless steel at this point in the future....

"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death." -Kulvain Hestarius
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-17, 08:55 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Oxygen is amazing at binding to things, and entropy is a bitch. The question isn't so much whether Necrons CAN rust, but how long it would take.

Quite frankly, with their extreme abilities in material science and some basic maintenance alone (oil them regularly and the oxygen won't REACH the metal bits), that would be a very long time indeed. And the time it takes to get some proper oxidation done on a Necron gets far, far longer when you realize Necrons don't actually have a good reason to keep oxygen around. It's not like they breathe the stuff. All oxygen does is enable annoyances like Eldar and Orks.

That does also mean a Cryptek or two might just not have bothered with keeping the anti-oxygen maintenance going while he slept ("seriously not going to waste the oild, the Tomb is sealed, no oxygen here, things will be fine for another few thousand years" ) with the Tomb springing a leak rust might have gotten a chance to play ("Where'd all the damn oxygen COME from?" )
David Palmer likes this.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-17, 09:07 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
Oxygen is amazing at binding to things, and entropy is a bitch. The question isn't so much whether Necrons CAN rust, but how long it would take.

Quite frankly, with their extreme abilities in material science and some basic maintenance alone (oil them regularly and the oxygen won't REACH the metal bits), that would be a very long time indeed. And the time it takes to get some proper oxidation done on a Necron gets far, far longer when you realize Necrons don't actually have a good reason to keep oxygen around. It's not like they breathe the stuff. All oxygen does is enable annoyances like Eldar and Orks.

That does also mean a Cryptek or two might just not have bothered with keeping the anti-oxygen maintenance going while he slept ("seriously not going to waste the oild, the Tomb is sealed, no oxygen here, things will be fine for another few thousand years" ) with the Tomb springing a leak rust might have gotten a chance to play ("Where'd all the damn oxygen COME from?" )
Necrons sleeps in timefrozen stasis crypts. But plenty of problems couldve happened to a tombworld that had lost power to the stasis generators, but with the necrons still in hibernation mode despite being exposed. Power issues from earthquakes, tectonic shifts, eldar raiders. Forcing a possibly increasingly corrupted MCP to try to maintain its charges in a futile fight against entrophy itself. Earthquakes could even have breached the failing tomb to the elements
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-17, 09:15 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

The necrodermis is "living" metal, so theoretically it could get "sick" like a former of skin cancer that would manifest itself as rust

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode