Potential for redemption? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-16, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Default Potential for redemption?

With 40k Endtimes looming closer than ever, I pose the question: Is there any of the traitor legions you think whom might rejoin the Imperium, given sufficient motivation? The endtimes for Fantasy had shown that the forces of Order can have strange bedfellows.

The Alpha Legion is probably the most obvious choice, given their noncommital attitude towards chaos, as well the policies of the twin primarchs. Though it might have taken a hit after the death of Alpharius.

My other pick would be the Thousand Sons, sure Magnus have done some bad things after the heresy. But he still seems coherent, and I think there could be potential for him earning the forgiveness of the Emperor for his collosal mistake in breaking the Imperial Webway. Magnus only reluctantly joined chaos to save his sons.

Out of the remaining legions, I think maybe only the Iron Warriors might accept an imperial pardon. Looking at the sensible Warsmith Kalkator for example. Though in general their long term festering bitterness might be too much to overcome.

The Black Legion is a definite no for obvious reasons, and likewise the Word Bearers. The Emperors Children and the Death Guard are both far too corrupted, and the World Eaters are nutso berserkers lost in the red mist of Khorne. Finally the Night Lords have a long standing grudge with the imperium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-16, 11:52 PM

Alpha Legion may not rejoin the Imperium in the traditional sense, but they would definitely act towards the defeat of Chaos. That has always been their goal.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-16, 07:04 AM

40k Endtimes are not close. GW won't repeat that mistake.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-16, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mephiston View Post
40k Endtimes are not close. GW won't repeat that mistake.
END TIMES 40k CONFIRMED? The Primarchs Return - Spikey Bits

So, the Crimson King is nearly at release. Which leaves the mentioned macragge book.
And look at warzone fenris, the wulfen has returned, which i see as another end times hint.

The fantasy end times was awesome, but it was the AoS followup product that people was unhappy with.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-16, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
END TIMES 40k CONFIRMED? The Primarchs Return - Spikey Bits

So, the Crimson King is nearly at release. Which leaves the mentioned macragge book.
And look at warzone fenris, the wulfen has returned, which i see as another end times hint.

The fantasy end times was awesome, but it was the AoS followup product that people was unhappy with.
I am pretty sure they might put forward a Time Of Ending scenario, but they will never END 40k the way they did WHFB. With a crapload of aliens and Daemons and Armless' plans finally coming into place, the Imperium will need some reinforcements, AKA a Stimulus package. And I guess that will come in the form of the Primarchs ?

But totally finishing off 40k the way they did WHFB !? Oh hell no. I expect and rather enjoy the stalemate, and it remaining year 999 for ever lol.

P.S. Even His Holy Majesty, Our Lord And Saviour, Emperor Matt Ward, Beloved By All, is back with GW but not working on 40k right now. His Eternal Glorious Light is being shed on Age Of Sigmar instead.

Last edited by Lord Mephiston; 11-11-16 at 07:45 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-16, 08:19 AM

I dont think the 'end times' are coming in the sense of AoS, but there could be a restart of Black Crusades or invasions. I suspect its more a reboot and release of models around a scenario. GW keeps 40k alive by the stalemate within the imperium and chaos, with the outliers of xenos causing problems for everyone around the central theme.

Back to your question, I think only Alpha are even up for consideration imho. Legions aligned with a 'god' are inherently too far gone, Night Lords are somewhat akin to blood angels, except without the reverence for big E. Iron Warriors are too embittered, and some of the travesties (Daemoncula/Honsou etc) would probably be a bit too far for the =]I[= to forgive.

The question isnt so much as who would be pardoned, more would a pardon be proposed.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-16, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Dextus View Post
I dont think the 'end times' are coming in the sense of AoS, but there could be a restart of Black Crusades or invasions. I suspect its more a reboot and release of models around a scenario. GW keeps 40k alive by the stalemate within the imperium and chaos, with the outliers of xenos causing problems for everyone around the central theme.

Back to your question, I think only Alpha are even up for consideration imho. Legions aligned with a 'god' are inherently too far gone, Night Lords are somewhat akin to blood angels, except without the reverence for big E. Iron Warriors are too embittered, and some of the travesties (Daemoncula/Honsou etc) would probably be a bit too far for the =]I[= to forgive.

The question isnt so much as who would be pardoned, more would a pardon be proposed.
Well said. But in regards to Magnus and the thousand sons, I think what plays a role in their possible redemption, is that they were pushed onto the chaos side, instead of seeking it out and why I think they could be redeemed. The Dark Elves joining the forces of order, despite having thousands of years of atrocities under their belt should be remembered too.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-16, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Well said. But in regards to Magnus and the thousand sons, I think what plays a role in their possible redemption, is that they were pushed onto the chaos side, instead of seeking it out and why I think they could be redeemed. The Dark Elves joining the forces of order, despite having thousands of years of atrocities under their belt should be remembered too.
The same could go for Iron Warriors as well - they kinda got duped by Horus and the Emps Children into following Horus, purely on the basis that Big E didn't like the whole 'Olympia' incident.
Since then, however, they have basically become even more embittered and a select few have chosen to cause havoc purely because it would annoy the Imperium, rather than some big plan of the chaos gods.

I think if the Imperium offered pardons (which is highly unlikely as it would undermine their entire basis of the empire, imo) then the likes of the IW, TS, Alphas MAY be the only ones to capitulate, the others are a lost cause.

The main problem is that both sides (imperium hierarchy and traitor legions) are so bull headed, then its almost inconceivable that anything would change.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-16, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Dextus View Post
The same could go for Iron Warriors as well - they kinda got duped by Horus and the Emps Children into following Horus, purely on the basis that Big E didn't like the whole 'Olympia' incident.
Since then, however, they have basically become even more embittered and a select few have chosen to cause havoc purely because it would annoy the Imperium, rather than some big plan of the chaos gods.

I think if the Imperium offered pardons (which is highly unlikely as it would undermine their entire basis of the empire, imo) then the likes of the IW, TS, Alphas MAY be the only ones to capitulate, the others are a lost cause.

The main problem is that both sides (imperium hierarchy and traitor legions) are so bull headed, then its almost inconceivable that anything would change.
Im sure the Emperor would remember the classic Divide and Conquer strategy, plus he would have the authority to offer pardons.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-16, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Im sure the Emperor would remember the classic Divide and Conquer strategy, plus he would have the authority to offer pardons.
You're assuming the current administrators wouldn't try and usurp his authority.

He stands up from his fancy seat, all those around him quickly realise the game's up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode