Punishment for Astartes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-16, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Default Punishment for Astartes

What would be the punishment for an Astartes that did anything worthy of punishment?

For example, before Lorgar attacked the Ultramarines, what exactly would have been the punishment for Thiel when he was creating theoreticals for fighting other Astartes?

I can't recall if anything is mentioned about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-16, 11:13 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I would imagine punishment for an astartes depending on the altercation of course would be something like isolation from their brothers and not allowed to train or pull duty, or allow them to carry weapons or wear their armour. These guys are bio engineered, psycho indoctrinated murder machines, not allowing them to be apart or practice with their fellows would be crushing for these guys in my opinion

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 12:36 AM

ArkInRev's Flag is: USA

In the old days, the answer to that question was always "death".

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 01:10 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Like the Oldman said: it depends on the offense. It also depends heavily on the chapter, I would imagine. It could be anything from demotion to a penitent quest. For scouts, the potential is being made into a servitor.

Life is like a shit sandwich: the more bread you have, the less shit you eat. When your at the bottom of the totem pole (scout) you can't afford to lose any bread.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 01:50 AM

Euphrati's Flag is: USA

It depends on the transgression and, more importantly, the Chapter in question.

Each Chapter has its own rites and rituals, including what it considers to be worthy punishments. Which could be anything as mild as being denied a spot on an assault force and made to stay behind while your brothers gain all the valour (wolves) to being subjected to rounds of physical challenges and duels (fists). For more extreme offenses some astartes will go into a form of enforced solitude, leaving their brothers and going off on their own to seek atonement for their crimes (or merely to die the most glorious death they can find).

Other chapters have very specific punishments- such as the Iron Snakes. An Apothecary that is accused of murdering a brother is sentenced to death by the rite of Oethanar. He is chained to a pillar in the seasca of their home world and the great sea Wyrms of Ithaka are summoned by automated drums to deal out his fate.

Last edited by Euphrati; 05-12-16 at 01:53 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 01:53 PM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

One minor thing that i remember particularly ultramarines is the brand of a mistake. Is the red helmets a sign of senture and more minor punishment.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 04:03 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Red helmets are the mark of a Sergeant for the Ultramarines.

I'm pretty sure that most Chapters just tie up their errant brothers and boop them on the nose with a feather duster while repeatedly going "NO." Or maybe that's how you punish puppies. It's one of those though.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 04:19 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battman View Post
One minor thing that i remember particularly ultramarines is the brand of a mistake. Is the red helmets a sign of senture and more minor punishment.
It was, right up until the Word Bearers ambushed Calth during the Heresy. These days it's the sign of a sergeant.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 08:12 PM

There's many things, many option...

There's censure. Which I guess is something like "Shut up you screw that one, and don't open your mouth untill we decide you have something smart to say." It's a punishement for Grey Knight, too.

But I guess there's also penance quest, or penance crusade, AKA suicide mission.

The Night lords painted their gauntlet red, signaling them as failure, and marking them to death untill they outlived their usefulness.

Death is probably a classic, but I readed a Black Crusade adeventure where one of the player was a dishounoured marines who was sent to inquisitorial custody by their brother. The same happened in the video games space marines where one end up being screened by the inquisition.

You could be demoted from your rank, if you were sergeant or even Captain and found lacking as it happened for Darnath Lysander.

And it wouldn't surprise me that some Blackshield among the Deathwatch are "failure" from some space marines chapter sent into exile by their chapter master...

Don't shoot me, heretic ! I speak High Gothick and english isn't my first language !

Check out my space marine story if you dare :

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=187466
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-16, 07:20 PM

LordOfTheWolves's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
I'm pretty sure that most Chapters just tie up their errant brothers and boop them on the nose with a feather duster while repeatedly going "NO." Or maybe that's how you punish puppies
That's just for minor offences. The ultimate punishment a space puppy can endure is the Hoover!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode