Pariahs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-16, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Default Pariahs

They're gone from the current necron codex, however they still make appearances in existing lore. They seem to fight alongside necron units in one or two instances that I can recall, such as the necron forces in the Ciaphas Cain novel Caves of Ice. These can be confirmed to be pariahs since they reduced trained stormtroopers to gibbering cowering wrecks simply by proximity, something that even flayers didn't do. Therefore it is a safe assumption that they projected a soulless aura in the same way that psychic blanks and human pariahs do.

So, they still exist. But they no longer seem a common choice for necron armies to take. Another thing to consider is that they are human in origin, and it stands to reason that they require necron technology to exist. Given that they only appear in the recent/current 40k setting, it is therefore a safe assumption that at least one necron faction is responsible for their existence.

In the old fluff, Pariahs represented the c'tan's next ideal for the galaxy. It is entirely possible that this is still the case. Necrons fear the idea of free or rogue c'tan more than anything else and with good reason. We can confirm the existence of at least one rogue Deceiver shard due to the short story Deus Ex Mechanicus. It is also possible that the same or another Deceiver shard is the golden skinned stranger responsible for Abaddon's acquisition of the daemon sword Drach'nyen.

Rogue c'tan are confirmed. And pariahs are still technically part of the lore. I want to put these pieces together, and the most logical choice is a necron faction involved in the creation of pariahs. Whether this is in collusion with a c'tan, under control of one or simply a freelancing cryptek exercising his own curiosity. Either way, I'd like to see more of them. They seemed like too big a part of the impending End Times to simply discard from the lore entirely. Don't get me wrong, I love the newer necron fluff. But it seems there's a lot of potential surrounding Pariahs that simply isn't being used.

Does anyone else agree?

Nonsense is our Salvation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-16, 12:11 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Partially. I never quite got why Necrons could field units of Pariahs in the first place, given the supposed rarity of the gene. Necrons coming across one, leaving him alive to recognize him for what he is (instead of him taking a Gauss shot to the face) always struck me as unlikely.

A single faction/cryptek experiment actually seems more likely than them being anything near common.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-16, 03:01 PM

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

What are pariahs? I thought the term was the same thing as a human blank (since people don't like being around blanks). But @Serpion5 , you make it sound more like something the Necrons created, and @Shandathe makes it sound like some humans are Necrons already or something. Am I missing something?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-16, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriks View Post
What are pariahs?
Psychic blanks with a negative presence in the warp.

Quote:
I thought the term was the same thing as a human blank (since people don't like being around blanks).
Yes it is.

Quote:
But Serp, you make it sound more like something the Necrons created,
In the 3rd edition necron codex it was implied that some of the c'tan put the pariah gene in the genetic coding of proto-man.

Quote:
Shandathe makes it sound like some humans are Necrons already or something. Am I missing something?
In the third edition necron codex there was a unit type known as the pariah, it was a human-necron hybrid made possible because of that genetic tampering done to pre mankind. Its noted as possibly being something the c'tan wanted for the galaxy.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-16, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Feed

@Tyriks When I get home from work today I'll quote some info from the old necron codex. Maybe dig up some artwork online as well if I can.

Unless someone beats me to it. Or you could search Lexicanum or Google for Necron Pariahs. Like this one.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 08:18 PM

Isn't being detached from the warp kind of what lost them the War in Heaven in the first place? Why are they striving for more of that?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Isn't being detached from the warp kind of what lost them the War in Heaven in the first place? Why are they striving for more of that?
It gave them a disadvantage, but the necrons and c'tan did not lose the War in Heaven. They want more of it because it nullifies what was able to challenge them.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-16, 02:02 AM

In regards to losing, I meant as the Necrontyr, not the Necrons. I could easily be mistaken but I thought the whole reason they turned to the ctan was that their absence from the warp meant any kind of psyker attack would demolish them. Is that incorrect? If not, I don't see how more of that would help.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-16, 03:30 AM
Senior Moderator

It's not so much an absence in the warp as much as its a negative presence. Pariah actually nullify psychic abilities in a vicinity to them (the stronger a blank, the wider or more powerful the effect.)

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-16, 06:34 AM

Brother Armiger's Flag is: USA

Still completely baffled as to why these were ever removed to begin with.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode