The Emperor, genetics and no female Space Marines - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 09:29 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Armiger View Post

You're clearly doing a lot of speaking for persons other than yourself. If I cause a severe issue I'm certain a moderator will ping me.

Quote:
what position are you in to dictate who does what here?

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 09:31 AM

Brother Armiger's Flag is: USA

It didn't say so on your image, that's why I ask.

I'm still unclear on some things, where was I a 'douchebag'? I kept tactful and firm. Is there a rule against upsetting senior members of the forum?
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 09:35 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Back on topic please

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
Back on topic please

Space Marines leaving to have semi-normal lives: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cloud_Runner

This would be where I'd read that. Having a family, well- I can't see that in there, maybe I incorrectly inferred that. It makes mention of his great-great-great grandfather being one of the Astartes from the Dark Angels- I'd assume that meant great-grandpappy laid some 'power glaive' at some point, and I'd always thought that right at puberty is when Astartes were drafted.

Adeptus Sororitas not being press-ganged: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Adepta_Sororitas

Also inferred in there, as well as from the basic requirements to be one of them- 'lacking of faith' would be a disqualifier, and saying "I would rather not" seems like it'd be 'lacking in faith'. Do not get me wrong, I would fully expect the young lady to be given something -terrible- for declining it, as well as some mockery.

Space Marine Press-gang recruiting: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Marines

"Still others watch and kidnap potential warriors, turning them into Astartes whether they will it or not."

Now, someone be kind and show me, if any of this- which is inaccurate? I'm running off wikis here, not Codex.

Last edited by Brother Armiger; 05-03-16 at 10:21 AM.
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 10:48 AM
Feed

Quote:
How am I being a douchebag by stating my side of things, and what position are you in to dictate who does what here?
Yellow and Orange Usernames mean site moderators, red names mean administrator. Make a note of it. I'd also advise you to familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules and bear in mind that not everyone will feel the need to explain if you're stepping out of line. Short story here is that you agree to the site rules when you sign up and it is not our responsibility to ensure you have read them. It is yours.
That said, the actual atmosphere of the forum is something you'll figure out on your own but if a disagreement arises, feeding it is generally not going to end on a positive. That's the end of my newbie advice session which I presume you did not really need but who knows.

So back on topic as Sco requested. I think the lore is too well established at this point to be changed without creating a massive divide. It would be like the schism of the Heresy itself, the loyalist fanbase wanting the fluff to stay the same and the radical PC crowd who welcome the show of gender equality in an otherwise totally fucked setting. It would take years for the changes to be accepted, hell people still bitch about necron lore at that changed like five or six years ago now right? Maybe less? I forget.

Anyway, I agree with most of the points Armiger made. Not saying which because I've had this discussion more times than I care to count and I don't have any desire to participate in it any further.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Yellow and Orange Usernames mean site moderators, red names mean administrator.
I just thought it meant you were angry.

Quote:
Anyway, I agree with most of the points Armiger made. Not saying which because I've had this discussion more times than I care to count and I don't have any desire to participate in it any further.
Can you validate or invalidate those three links/statements I placed? I'm dying to know if I've been misinformed, misread, or just plain WRONG.
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 11:07 AM
Feed

Quote:
I just thought it meant you were angry.
Sometimes it's both.

Quote:
Can you validate or invalidate those three links/statements I placed? I'm dying to know if I've been misinformed, misread, or just plain WRONG.
I'm a xenos player/fluff guy/modeller so no. Fuck space marines.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 02:42 PM

Euphrati's Flag is: USA

Throne of Terra this topic grew a set of legs while I was sleeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
I know this was a tongue in cheek comment, but there is a real reason why we don't see Brothers of Battle.

In the aftermath of the Age of Apostasy the Ecclesiarchy was forbidden to have to have men under arms (though this is not always followed). Having militia is one thing, but attaining the supply and equipment required for these Brothers of Battle would require some serious collusion with someone with real pull. And even then, it probably would be relatively short-lived.
Yes, my comment about 'male' Sisters was highly tongue in cheek.

I was using it to point out how people seem to accept that SoB are female (and only female) without question, yet cannot seem to accept that Astartes are male (and can only be male). I actually find the fact that you couldn't even call them Sisters and immediately started calling them 'Brothers of Battle' quite humourous.

As you pointed you- the reason Sisters are female is embedded in the lore. No one questions it. Yet, if you think about it, the lore regarding it comes down to a group of politically powerful windbags (high lords of terra) merely saying 'this shall not be' where, in the case of astartes, the lore states 'this cannot be'. Yet, from what I have seen, the astartes lore is consistently the one being questioned even though it is the most set in stone.

Quote:
The closest thing is Euphrati going on her soapbox about something that no one had brought up.
It was brought up. The core concept of the post was what I was questioning. It is what the thread is, at its root, about. The OP was mulling over the thought of a scientific reason why the lore is how it is. Why the astartes process only works on males. My post, if you read it carefully, is questioning why does this bit of lore need a reason above and beyond what is already stated?

Quote:
Then maybe reread it since she was the one blasting people about female space marines not making sense. It didn't make sense for her to bring it up and not too much for you to support her. It basically was a strawman that she crushed (as strawmen tend to go).
Perhaps I am misunderstanding you here (or you are misunderstanding me). I am, in a round about sense, agreeing with the OP- astartes are only male. My point was that the lore is absolutely clear about the topic (regardless of the lack of a detailed reason as to Why) yet it gets constantly poked both by those trying to support it and by those trying to find a way around it. And my main question was why do people seem to gravitate to this topic over and over again vs all of the other fuzzy topics in the lore base of 30/40k? The only real reason that I can come up with (that isn't driven by some outside PC reason) as to why is that people hate absolutes.
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 02:47 PM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

Quote:
I'm a xenos player/fluff guy/modeller so no. Fuck space marines.
After reading the entire thread, that is like the perfect punchline to end it with Serpion, lol.

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-03-16, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Fuck space marines.
No, don't fuck Space Marines, that's heresy.

As for "needing a reason" for the boys only club, we technically don't but I like to mull stuff over in my head and every once in a while ask questions no one else cares about. Probably comes from the world building parts of my brain in relation to writing.

And it's not like it hurts to have a reason.

Last edited by Zion; 05-03-16 at 03:27 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode