Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Is the 40k Fluff going anywhere?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Tyriks 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I think I'm not interested in giving another site/blog traffic when other people wonder why we have less here.

Why does the fluff have to go anywhere? There are ten thousand years of history between the Heresy and the present of 40k to cover. A mere fraction of it has only been covered, so why does the present need to move forward?

#6 ·
The Blood Angels will wage vampire war on the werewolf for some reason or another, or they will avoid the cliche like the plague.

As for plot, I agree with the 10,000 years sentiments. The backstory/plot really is a description of the status quo that provides the backdrop for the much smaller plot threads to exist. Major 30k plot changes don't really have to impact 40k at all. You've got 10,000 years to get back to the 40k universe, and that's a long time frame to fit a lot of story, or a lot of retcons, whichever works.

The other thing to consider is that what is "known" about the history of 40k is largely from Imperium Propaganda, tradition, and zealotry. The games and lore of the 30k are the "truth." 10,000 years is a lot of time to indoctrinate the Imperium's version of that truth. 40k history is a revisionist history, whereas 30k is the actual event. The two can conflict without resulting in any real contradiction, or one time's story really driving story changes in the other.

#7 ·
The other thing to consider is that what is "known" about the history of 40k is largely from Imperium Propaganda, tradition, and zealotry. The games and lore of the 30k are the "truth." 10,000 years is a lot of time to indoctrinate the Imperium's version of that truth. 40k history is a revisionist history, whereas 30k is the actual event. The two can conflict without resulting in any real contradiction, or one time's story really driving story changes in the other.
Given how true this is, I've always been surprised the Imperium doesn't report that the Primarchs are still alive and leading the troops. Seems like it would do a lot of good for morale, and as you've said, they have no qualms about misrepresenting facts.

#9 ·
Darkreever - Maybe I am not interested in hearing your negative comments about other people's sites/blogs. I have nothing to gain from people looking at our blog - we have no adverts or money making schemes on it.
We are a community, I look at many different forums and blogs everyday and interact with discussions I find interesting. Surely a successful forum provides topics that stimulate discussion such as the topic I posted. It matters very little where it is or who it is by and negative comments are doing you no favours.

Anyway onto the actual discussion.
I kind of agree with both camps. I like the fact that we have the long ongoing story in 30k and the fact that we can have individual, separate tales told in 40k that we can then include in our stories on the tabletop.
On the other hand however, a long reaching story arc in the background of 40k may add something as it could add more weight to the stories being told.
As a very small example books could be written about many battles in the Lord of the rings but the many plots running through these separate battles make it even more epic. Now I know that 40k is much bigger than this but it is going to be interesting to see what is actually going to happen and the curse of the wulfen may be pointing to something like this?

#10 ·
Darkreever - Maybe I am not interested in hearing your negative comments about other people's sites/blogs. I have nothing to gain from people looking at our blog - we have no adverts or money making schemes on it.
I think his point was more from the fact that you started this thread with two sentences and a link, with people supposed to go through the link to continue the discussion. Not the blog itself having adverts or stuff on it.

As for the background, like @Tyriks said, they did just release the wulfen supplement which moved things a little (while also being ridiculously over the top.)

#11 ·
I am all for plot progression or even the return of a few loyalist primarchs...

But there is quite a bit to cover from 30k to 40k

Scouring
All those Black Crusades
The Beast (being covered now)
Nova Terra Interregnum
Age of Apostasy

...and I'm sure there's more

Heck...I think the Unification Wars would make an awesome setting (Thunder Warriors and Terran Legions)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.