Which race would you like to see as a major one, and which would you kick out? - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-16, 09:41 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer View Post
I see numerous people complaining about the Ork fungus thing. That has been cannon for as long as I have known 40k. How long have I known 40k? Well, since my brother got the 2nd Edition for Christmas and I spent a lot of time reading all the rule/fluff books.
So basically, you've all hated Ork fluff for the past 20 years.
this. Also, most stuff in rogue trader era didn't really had a fluff or it was ridiculous so they changed it. What's wrong in bio engineered fungi warrior race that fought for the Old Ones? Seriously, are Pokemon C'Tans a better idea??

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-16, 09:57 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Way to take me out of context kharn. I said I like the fluff for the orks, and it was only the change to their reproduction method that seemed silly. So no, I have not hated the ork fluff for the last 20 years.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #83 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-30-16, 04:20 AM
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer View Post
I see numerous people complaining about the Ork fungus thing. That has been cannon for as long as I have known 40k. How long have I known 40k? Well, since my brother got the 2nd Edition for Christmas and I spent a lot of time reading all the rule/fluff books.
So basically, you've all hated Ork fluff for the past 20 years.
well, i take it that this fungus theory is the best theory that the imperium has at the time.
and of course theories change.
something like a fungus?
sometimes a fungal type thing?

i looked back through the old ere we go codex.
i see that there is zero mention of any fungalo proterties, though i might have missed something.
the feeling was squarely freebooter-esque and with all the orky event cards and the fiction...

i see what you mean about it not being anything like a simple fungus but
i think that the way to see it is that the imperium understands only so much and the story that they tell is like this,
that when orks die some cells become spores (create cysts i guess, and aerosolized spread everywhere e.g. antipersonal mines might not be the best way to minimize orkoid species in the long run.
there is a long and complex progression as the subspecies necessary to support orks sprout and the environment is changed to support further orkoid life and so it progresses until finally some thousands of years later you end up with a goff warband such as those in the ere we go codex...

maybe after a few generations, maybe 70 years, you end up with primitive orks
unless they are permitted easy access to tech and exposure to other things,
in which case the orkoid genome expresses itself in unique ways e.g. mekaniaks, weird boyz and so on.

i dunno, i think that
once you let go of the idea that an ork is a bunch of bread mold in a bag of hate,
then you can get something of the old ork character from ere we go era portayals.

in my opinion,
it is the armaggeddonization of the game,
moar and moar skullz,
plastic for the credit gods,
marketing based world construction and game development...
this is what makes sporulent orks rising in waves like summoned deamons!
summon a nearby orkoid tribe with the new ork sporeminer and his bodyguard!
the green tide of the credit godz commands it!
plus if you wanna win games at collectible card gay... errr... 40k tournaments
then you need to buy these models.
seriously.
four of them.

post #84 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-31-16, 09:18 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

You are right jin, that's why I play the game with friends, using the edition we are both happy with, with house rules or datasheets from elsewere to fill the gaps. Problem is we both like chaos, so sometimes we have to roll off to see who plays nids.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #85 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-01-16, 02:22 AM
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
You are right jin, that's why I play the game with friends, using the edition we are both happy with, with house rules or datasheets from elsewere to fill the gaps. Problem is we both like chaos, so sometimes we have to roll off to see who plays nids.
and that is the best part of this hobby, in my opinion,
it makes us talk about rules under which we are all similarly bound
and in which we all are similarly invested.
this is an invaluable skill,
especially for leaders.
it is a language of a thriving social-political economy based in reason.
the 40k universe requires a rather complex simulation. through the rules and background, situations are created and played out. i always saw the harlequins as representing this but anyways...
the rules allow this to happen.
but, the rules as written are often not clear.
there are clues as to how the rules are intended, i suppose.
but these are not always easy to find.
the best support for this sort of thing
is a thriving community of players actively integrated with the corporate brain bugs at G dubs but... we know what happened next.
Gdubs went the other way, abandoned the outriders and so on, screwed the local dudes who stood to benefit enough on the sales at discount in order to maintain this necessary thriving community.

anyways,
any way you slice it is is excellent cognitive training for young people ... in my opinion, the most redeeming aspect of the game/hobby. strategic thinking, meta level executive thinking, reasoned discourse with vested interest...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode