Which race would you like to see as a major one, and which would you kick out? - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-05-16, 02:52 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Tyranids came out way before Starship Troopers
Starship troopers the book was published in 1959. the same book contains the very first appearance of a Space Marine as we know it: big techno armour filled with gadgets that make him look like a gorilla, also drop podding from high orbit, jump packs etc...
Warhammer was a big rip-off of Heinlein stories, especially Starship troopers, from the very beginning.
First edition cover: does it rings a bell??
ntaw likes this.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

Last edited by neferhet; 07-05-16 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-05-16, 03:16 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Ha! Didn't realize the book was that old. Truth be told I wasn't contesting the similarities but rather the influence. Good call

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #73 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-05-16, 06:12 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

oh well, the influence, imo, is all there: a few hiper tech warriors fighting against thousands of mindless beasts...

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

post #74 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-05-16, 11:14 PM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Despite there being numerous novels and short stories which use Space Marines, all of which pre-date GW, the lawyers at GW have decided that they own the name Space Marine.

On a completely different note...I wonder if Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone poop money? They wrote the Fighting Fantasy novels, which I grew up with (and with numerous fingers in numerous pages in case I made the wrong choice) and then they decided to make GW. Steve Jackson went on to found Lionhead studios with Peter Molyneux and Ian Livingstone was CEO of Eidos. Now that I think about it, these two men probably had a bigger influence over my childhood entertainment than anyone else in the world.

It turns out that Chaos has their own band...
https://youtu.be/rTGzcdq0_NQ

Last edited by Kharn The Complainer; 07-05-16 at 11:20 PM.
post #75 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-28-16, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Guys, Necrons were introduced via Gorkamorka and then given WD rules for 40k during 2nd edition. We're in 7th bordering on 8th within a year if you believe the rumour mill. It's time to move on
An AoS type reboot?
post #76 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-28-16, 11:02 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I vaguely remember the introduction of the necrons when it happened, and also remember it being a good thing. Only thing I dislike about the necrons was the massive fluff change when they became much less mysterious a few years ago. As for the orks, as one of the original original races of 40k I still love them, however the big fluff change to make them reproduce by spores and that kind of thing still irritates me, I prefer the old fluff from Waauuugh the Orks and Ere We Go. And I know this will irk some people, but I liked the squats. I still have an original Squat mole mortar I have to assemble and paint. As for genestealer cults, they are a faction that cries out to be created by conversions, not as a full army, of course that is not how GW operates any more. I originally played the space marine epic scale game in the late 80's but saw the 40k development alongside it. The main factions I would like to see go is the huge plethora of redundant space marine armies. To my mind they should almost all be condensed into a single book with plenty of options, rather than so many distinct armies for which the basis is the same. Thing is my mates and I still play whatever edition we feel like, usually 5th or 6th and we generally play for fluff, and I am a chaos man always have been and always will be.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #77 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-16, 12:28 AM
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
oh well, the influence, imo, is all there: a few hiper tech warriors fighting against thousands of mindless beasts...
happens to me every day
most all day long -
as soon as i leave my home,
and often enough looking in the mirror.
post #78 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-16, 01:12 AM
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
I vaguely remember the introduction of the necrons when it happened, and also remember it being a good thing. Only thing I dislike about the necrons was the massive fluff change when they became much less mysterious a few years ago.
me too.
the background story is ok tho why not...

what in particular do you not like about it?

Quote:
As for the orks, as one of the original original races of 40k I still love them, however the big fluff change to make them reproduce by spores and that kind of thing still irritates me, I prefer the old fluff from Waauuugh the Orks and Ere We Go.
you made me read (again?)
the warhammer 40k wikia entry for orks.
how did the ere we go stuff differ?
i think that i had a copy of that book,
a long time ago,
and have forgotten everything in it if i ever read it at all.

Quote:
As for genestealer cults, they are a faction that cries out to be created by conversions, not as a full army, of course that is not how GW operates any more.
agree completely.
just allow it on the table, as it represents part of the universe.
the toruble in my mind is that
people seem unable to make judgments of fairness and consistency.
"spamming" wave serpents makes for a boring collection.
abusing broken shield rules to turn a transport into a main battle tank is being an idiot.
the role play and simulation integration that originally was the draw to 40k,
especially,
seems to be lost on people these days.
everyone is basically playing a 3d collectible card game.
this was unheard of in the 80s and 90s, really.
then, magic was basically for kids...
now those kids went to college and bought 40k models.
i would be a neckbeard if i stopped shaving.

Quote:
The main factions I would like to see go is the huge plethora of redundant space marine armies. To my mind they should almost all be condensed into a single book with plenty of options, rather than so many distinct armies for which the basis is the same.
this is absolutely correct.

i would like to see a return to
paying for what you put on the table.
for example
to have a psychic power you simply had to PAY for the power,
on the model of a wizardry discipline.
i modeled characters to represent the power attached to that character.
that model always played that way, cost that much...
less random super power dice pool sub-game ridiculousness.
on this model, the game is more easily "balanced"
grav weapons should cost more, discouraging their overuse.
likewise, army composition can be moderated by similar guidelines.
consider the following:
gw can run an ongoing narrative and resource report on the Internet through their homepage,
which reads like a newspaper and plays a bit like a newscast (think click this link form the starship troopers movie here).
on this site are resource reports due to battles around the world
(uploaded to gw through army list upload in a standard format via worldwide android app or Inet entry).
simple stat analysis of list and result data should deliver simple corrective coefficient that moderates points values that must be paid for that period (quarterly, maybe?)
so, spamming wave serpents results in them bring overused, on all fronts of conflict involving Eldar everywhere,
so Eldar everywhere must use more resources to keep the wave serpents flying,
more manufacturing and repair personnel, and so on...
which means increase points cost.
this adds a bit of economics to the game system,
makes it "live" and still allows gw control over which models and backstock get sold, to who and when... they seem to like that.

anyways, when gw management finally gets around to sending me an email,
i will be happy to work this out with/for them.
regardless, in my mind, this or something like it is going to happen.
i bet that people will love such a platform.
and it can fix the game after a-hat mbas wrecked it...
post #79 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-16, 05:33 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

The necrons had a very vague history, they had never spoken to anyone and their intentions(apart from killing everything) were inscrutable, not anymore. I liked that they were an implacable army of unknown origin or intentions. If you want to understand my take on necrons, read one of the Caiphas Cain novels by sandy Mitchell. Sorry I cannot remember which one. When Cain comes up against necrons it is Bowel Loosening Terror for the win.

As for the orks, it is a while ago for me, but I certainly remember they weren't a fungus. New orks budded off the old orks, or were born some way, but orks sprouting up out of the ground from spores was certainly not it. As for their tech, it is simple when it needs to be, complex when it needs to be, but always functional and always cool. They might talk and act in a amusing way, but not when they are trying to hack your arm off with a power claw, just ask Yarrick about that one.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #80 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-16, 09:20 AM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

I see numerous people complaining about the Ork fungus thing. That has been cannon for as long as I have known 40k. How long have I known 40k? Well, since my brother got the 2nd Edition for Christmas and I spent a lot of time reading all the rule/fluff books.
So basically, you've all hated Ork fluff for the past 20 years.
neferhet likes this.

It turns out that Chaos has their own band...
https://youtu.be/rTGzcdq0_NQ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode