Which race would you like to see as a major one, and which would you kick out? - Page 7 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-02-16, 06:01 PM

I'd eliminate Orks. In terms of races to add? Hrud. Or one of the other underdeveloped alien races (Dracolith or Draxians, whatever they are).

Orks are brutal if unsophisticated warriors, yes, but if you take out their humor that's ALL they are. No complexity possible, no interesting nooks, like stereotypical Khorne Berserkers. And humor doesn't help much either. It's just... they're not even alien. Merely boring. Tyranids at least have a neat aesthetic, but that's it, again zero depth beyond 'om nom nom'. Villains having some sort of motivation or complexity isn't a bad thing, people. Look at Chaos Marines, or even Daemons. Mind you, taking out Orks massively changes 40K. I'd prefer to have them 'fixed' like the Necrons were.

Post-5th Necrons are awesome. They're parallel to the Eldar, yes, but really quite distinct. Both killed their own gods, yes, but one intentionally in defiance, the other accidentally and caused an apocalypse. Both are ancient, but one slept the aeons and is now awakening and the other evolved through them (through generations) and fights to stop its seemingly inevitable fading. They have distinct aesthetics, which is quite important, and psychic vs. Materium ties. The Necrons are divided but believe they should be united, the Eldar are more or less united in practice even if they're nominally independent. The Necrons enslave other races, the Eldar manipulate them.

The Tau are also worth having, as a xeno faction that is comparable to humanity - all the other major xenos are either elder races or near-mindless (Tau-Humans, Eldar-Necrons, Orks-Tyranids-Daemons... young empires, ancient relics, and destructive scourges.). And the complaints of 'anime aesthetic' make no sense to me. All the 40K races look different, that's part of the point.

As for races to add, again, I want something maximally distinct. The Hrud (just don't make them look like Skaven) as a third elder race, or some previously mentioned xenos species as a third younger race.

All IMHO, of course.

Renegades Saga contributions
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...tions-cry.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...s-scarlet.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...lesh-weak.html)
The Emperor has turned to Chaos. The dream of the Imperium has become a nightmare. But Horus and his Coalition stand against the dark, here at the end of time.

Lorgar's Betrayal
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...te-heresy.html)
What was broken has been mended. And what was burned away can never be reforged.

Last edited by VulkansNodosaurus; 07-02-16 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-03-16, 09:52 AM
jin

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulkansNodosaurus View Post
I'd eliminate Orks. In terms of races to add? Hrud. Or one of the other underdeveloped alien races (Dracolith or Draxians, whatever they are).

Orks are brutal if unsophisticated warriors, yes, but if you take out their humor that's ALL they are. No complexity possible, no interesting nooks, like stereotypical Khorne Berserkers. And humor doesn't help much either. It's just... they're not even alien. Merely boring. Tyranids at least have a neat aesthetic, but that's it, again zero depth beyond 'om nom nom'. Villains having some sort of motivation or complexity isn't a bad thing, people. Look at Chaos Marines, or even Daemons. Mind you, taking out Orks massively changes 40K. I'd prefer to have them 'fixed' like the Necrons were.

Oo's dah villin umie skum?!
post #63 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-03-16, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Brobaddon's Flag is: Croatia

Quote:
The Beast arises series proves you wrong in all those aspects. It's not just Orks physical size and combat prowess that grows with their evolution, but their society and culture as well, to the point they're capable of fielding diplomats.

post #64 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-04-16, 07:46 AM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Necrons for sure. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and taste, but I find Necron supporters to be rabidly vocal. Check any Dawn of War forum or youtube comments section and you'll find an endless stream of people begging for Necrons to be a playable race. Even on the Battlefleet Gothic Armada comments, people are demanding Necrons to be the next playable race (it'll be Tau though). They are fans beyond sense and reason. How can Necrons be part of such a game when they barely have any variety of ships?

Hmm...so perhaps my issue isn't with Necrons, but with Necron fans. OK, I change my vote. Remove Necron fans from 40K.

It turns out that Chaos has their own band...
https://youtu.be/rTGzcdq0_NQ
post #65 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-04-16, 02:59 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer View Post
Necrons for sure. ...

Hmm...so perhaps my issue isn't with Necrons, but with Necron fans. OK, I change my vote. Remove Necron fans from 40K.
Haha. I'm right there with you. I think Necrons and Tau were lame additions. I think gw could have come up with better new factions than (ancient) Egyptianate terminators and "anime."

Developing the gene stealer cult further would have been a better choice. Developing an Interex-like cybernetic human civilization could have very compelling. Or something totally new.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #66 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-04-16, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
. I think gw could have come up with better new factions than (ancient) Egyptianate terminators and "anime."
You give them too much credit for originality. It was just a robot version of GW's fantasy Khemri/Vampire Counts. I'm half surprised they didn't make a robot Nagash.

I guess they also have to look at marketability. If they make something too off the wall, will anyone even buy it?
Hell, if they made an army of shoggoths, it sounds awesome in theory, but I don't know how well such a thing would sell. If nobody buys the army, is there any point in making it?
People are going to buy Gundams and people are going to by Terminator Skeletons. Actually, based on this, I suspect the next army will be a Pony Unicorn army.

Last edited by Kharn The Complainer; 07-04-16 at 05:41 PM.
post #67 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-04-16, 06:13 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer View Post
People are going to buy Gundams and people are going to by Terminator Skeletons. Actually, based on this, I suspect the next army will be a Pony Unicorn army.
Ugh. That's what happens when marketing runs the show.

I don't give them any undue credit for creativity. Gw has borrowed liberally from literature, fantasy, history, sci-fi, and film. I am under no illusions. The last real addition to the factions was Tyranids which is obviously borrowed heavily from Starship Troopers and Aliens.

My contention is that they could have chosen better for their next/latest "borrowing."

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #68 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-05-16, 01:08 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Guys, Necrons were introduced via Gorkamorka and then given WD rules for 40k during 2nd edition. We're in 7th bordering on 8th within a year if you believe the rumour mill. It's time to move on

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #69 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-05-16, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
guys, necrons were introduced via gorkamorka and then given wd rules for 40k during 2nd edition. We're in 7th bordering on 8th within a year if you believe the rumour mill. It's time to move on
never!

post #70 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-05-16, 02:31 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Re-reading @Kreuger 's comment Tyranids came out way before Starship Troopers and the Alien franchise is amazing: GW should steal more from there (looks directly at Dreadknight)

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode