Which race would you like to see as a major one, and which would you kick out? - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-20-16, 08:39 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobaddon View Post
Yeah the current Necrons are terrible, both lore and design wise. The models/art is too over-detailed and appear to be made for 10 year olds literally, with cliche scythes for " undead robots " to largely the same skeleton heads on each unit, save for deathmarks. I doubt they'll drop the whole egyptian theme, but at least hope the units get a remodelling in next codex, cause they'll simply terrible. At least remodel the heads to be somewhat unique and screw those ugly crowns.

As for lore wise, I expect them to do something actually important, like smite the nids and establish themselves as number one enemy to Imperium.

As for Necrons getting flesh bodies again, I doubt it will happen. Lore wise it would make sense and they're actually trying to pull that off but tabletop wise I doubt they'll change the whole gimmick. People came to love the soulless undead machines, not some " we don't even know how they looked as necrontyr " fleshling race.
The trouble we have with the necrons is trying to find a balance between "oldest and most advanced race still around" and "doesn't have the ability to wipe us out." The older iteration of necrons were basically extensions of the wills of four vastly powerful gods with little or no will of their own. They were cold, unfeeling and existed only to slaughter the living and feed their deities. Their knowledge and abilities gave them reality bending powers and made them basically immune to the permanence of death.

The new necrons are self centered egotistical space politicians/conquerors with massive superiority complexes stemmed from the fact that they defeated their own fucking gods. They have limits however, relying on an old failing technology in order to maintain a crumbling galactic empire of sorts as they try to reclaim what they lost eons ago.

See the issue here? You're torn between Chaos 2.0 or Eldar 2.5, there's really no other trope that hasn't already been covered by some other race. Worth pointing out however is that the current lore at least allows for glitches in tombworld technology that destroys sleeping necrons' identities. So you can keep the silent soulless oldcron theme and motif if you wish. Both are just as valid.

If I was to remove a race, it would be Tau only because they are the least influential in the overall of 40k. To bump one up? I don't know, everyone else seems to be sitting exactly where they should be.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-16, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Brobaddon's Flag is: Croatia

Ah don't get me wrong, I love Necrons. I think they're cool and a race which everbody should be afraid of and who can kick anyone's ass in 40k. But, when i look at their current codex and fluff, i can't not to cringe every time I see it.

As for what people said about Rak'gol, It's a cool idea and I'd like to see it, but i don't think it's feasible. Firstly you'd need to have them come closer inside of Imperium's territory because every race in 40k needs to have some access to one another, otherwise they're too isolated and cannot interact in the fluff. And since Rak'gol's territory is mostly in Halo stars, Imperium can't invade there effectively, unless Rak'Gol themselves launch a massive attack on the imperium, which given they're raiders is not really likely, and is questionable whether they have numbers to do it.

They would also need to be massively expanded upon as they have like, what, 5 different variants of troops? And no vehicles basically. Though spacecraft and some moderate lore is already there.
post #43 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-16, 03:28 AM

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

I would like to see a Rak'gol box set. You could have a board that is the inside of a ship, assume you have a small crew (essentially a kill team) and get boarded by them. You could have different points on the ship be targeted and failing to stop the Rak'gol from getting there/doing something has detrimental effects (i.e. if they get to the life support systems and trash them, you take hits every turn to represent struggling with lack of oxygen, if they take out the reactor you explode, losing computer systems could lock down the ship and make it harder to go from section to section, et cetera). If you made the board modular enough you could even have size options (like you and a friend merge your boards but have double the Rak'gol). I would want to buy a set like that.

post #44 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-16, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

That'd be cool. From what I saw, their inspiration was definitely the alien franchise in regards to design of Rak'gol , though stub weaponary somehow makes me laugh, that's so human like of us to give an utterly alien species almost-human weaponary.
post #45 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-16, 03:31 PM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

It's close to the Space hulk, or Space Crusade concept, with a change of protagonist. Space Crusade with Imperial Navy armsmen vs Rak'gol sounds pretty cool.

Interestingly 40k has very little ship board combat, for a Sci if game. Especially as the main protagonists are Marines.
Maybe if GW get around updating Space Crusade, they may consider expanding the idea?
post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-16, 07:08 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

I would love to see them get tid of the orks saying that "It works because they think it will." If that was the case orks would pick up sticks to blow up titans if they thought it was lucky or a gift from gork or mork. I hate that saying the most. Their fluff states that the meks are always tinkering with things. There would be no need to tinker if just thought it worked. "Red one go fasta" I don't have a problem with that who doesn't have a favorite color that they prefer over other colors. I drive only blue cars because I like blue and they seem to last longer and give me less problems than other colored cars.
I would love to see the sisters of battle restored to a full fledged army.

The one to get rid of actually there are two the Inquisition because I don't know anyone that plays them. The main one would be cult Mechanicus they are builders and gathers of data. They have the Skitarii for protection while they are out gathering data so not sure what the Mechanicus are as an army.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-16, 07:52 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

I don't have anything original to add. I'd also like to see the orks be less comical and more just a savage, barbarian race. I can live with their technology fluff but maybe it would be better to depict them as effective at using and reverse engineering technology they don't fully understand rather than just willing things to work. I don't care too much either way though

If a xenos race had to go it would be tau for me, but I'd prefer an aesthetic change to tone down the anime stuff a bit. I wouldn't actually want them to be removed, they fill a niche I suppose and I know many love them

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-16, 08:12 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfangdakka View Post
I drive only blue cars because I like blue and they seem to last longer and give me less problems than other colored cars.
That's the essence of the Waaagh-Ork subconscious psychic field. They can't just blow up the galaxy by believing it, it's not a very strong psychic field. The Orks themselves aren't aware that they can do it, it manifests in their subconscious and helps them out a lot - a Mekboy knows instinctively how to put some bits of scrap and stuff together and make a gun or a tank, but his design only works because of the Waaagh-Ork. You can't actually weld pressure vessels with a flamethrower focussed to a point through a metal funnel, but Orks can because as far as they know, that's how a welder works. I don't think I've explained it very well, but the essence of it is that the Ork builds something shitty with poor materials and design, and the psychic field compensates for that by improving the vehicle psychically.

To be honest, I wouldn't go tinkering with 40k's setting. While a lot of the stories set within it are poor, either in concept or execution by BL, the setting itself is fucking brilliant and is a major part of why I play 40k and Fantasy over other game systems.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 02-21-16 at 08:15 PM.
post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-16, 11:14 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
I don't have anything original to add. I'd also like to see the orks be less comical and more just a savage, barbarian race. I can live with their technology fluff but maybe it would be better to depict them as effective at using and reverse engineering technology they don't fully understand rather than just willing things to work. I don't care too much either way though
As I mentioned before, the novel Sanctus Reach has a nifty deception of Ork tech working through a combination of advanced, innate technological know-how bred into the Mekboyz and the latent Ork psychic field (their "belief" in their technology).

It was interesting to see how the Mekboyz could innately know how to build a fusion generator, and in moments of clarity, subconsciously describe how their technology works...yet in the next breath describe the fusion generator as a "little sun".
post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-22-16, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

I think a faction similar to Diasporex would offer a new and fresh perspective into 40k, an outside human empire that is not xenophobic and is in alliance with a xeno race of some kind. Would be cool to see 15-20k technology on a massive scale and possibly new STC and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire
I don't have anything original to add. I'd also like to see the orks be less comical and more just a savage, barbarian race.
Honestly, I don't see what's comical about a milion strong horde of bloodthirsty savages.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode