Which race would you like to see as a major one, and which would you kick out? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-16, 11:28 PM

DelvarusThePitFighter's Flag is: United Kingdom

Could take inspiration from some of the oop xenos ships from bfg - like the demiurgs etc?

Fuck Tau.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-16, 11:33 PM

DelvarusThePitFighter's Flag is: United Kingdom

I loved the orks in Space Marine - seemed to have brummy accents - XD
Made me wonder - pissed off WE with bad tempered eastend londoner accents - their chant 'You're goin' 'ome in landan ambulance, you're gonna get your fakin' 'ead kicked in'
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-19-16, 04:10 AM

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Squared View Post
Ork tek doesn't work because they believe it works
This is exactly the reasoning behind having a "red paint job" upgrade for their vehicles. They think it will go faster, so that makes it go faster.

Quote:
If orks arent "grimdork" enough for you, what about tau, they're the furthest from grimdark you can get, same for eldar actually, and space marines? Have you seen the latest SW wolf gubbins? It's ridiculous and looks like some bastardised cross over between pokemon and xenonblade.
But you'd ban orks because they don't spell proppa?
The Tau ARE actually grimdark. Their leaders mind control the lower classes. They lobotomize races to make them fit better into their society. They convert everyone by the sword to their greater good. Eldar have known they are just waiting for extinction for 10,000 years. They force asceticism on their entire culture to try to survive a little bit longer. What's not grimdark about that? I'm not arguing about looks, so what the Wulfen look like doesn't matter.

The issue isn't the spelling, it's that literally every single thing about the army gets its name from the same bad joke. If even half their army had actual names (instead of just misspelling what a child would call the unit), I would feel a lot differently.

Quote:
Plus, of all races Orks are the only ones who actually revel, nay thrive, in the 40k universe. They live for war. Conflict and aggression fuels them, accelerates their reproduction, and technological advancement and gives them a reason to exist. Every other race is miserable, and on the back foot, except for Orks. Tyranids and Necrons don't count because the concept of happiness is irrelevant to them. In fact, because of the eternal state of war in the 40k universe, Orks are already living in their paradise. There's no ideal state of peace for them to live, no unobtainable end game, they're already where they want to be. Orks have already won.
This is an irrelevant point. No one is saying Orks don't like war, or aren't doing well in the fluff. What I am saying is that, for a setting that has gone so far out of its way to seem hopeless and doomed that a new word had to be invented to describe it, having a whole race for comic relief is annoying.

post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-19-16, 05:02 AM

I love the orks for many reason.

They provide jobber for novel quite easily, yet, you know that if they loose it's not that bad, because you know they will always come back. There's no sense of "doom and gloom" like the space marines and even the CSM.

Maybe they just need more brutal depiction, and a little less funny one.

Now, I never liked the Tau. They are too much of the Mary sue about them. But strangely, I feel they should be expanded over the galaxy. Because this could provide some contact with real nasty stuff, and the opportunity to get wiped their ass once or twice, which would be an excuse to see their dark side.

Other than that, I return from the squat/demiurge, anyone ? XD

Don't shoot me, heretic ! I speak High Gothick and english isn't my first language !

Check out my space marine story if you dare :

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=187466
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-19-16, 05:03 AM

I love the orks for many reason.

They provide jobber for novel quite easily, yet, you know that if they loose it's not that bad, because you know they will always come back. There's no sense of "doom and gloom" like the space marines and even the CSM.

Maybe they just need more brutal depiction, and a little less funny one.

Now, I never liked the Tau. They are too much of the Mary sue about them. But strangely, I feel they should be expanded over the galaxy. Because this could provide some contact with real nasty stuff, and the opportunity to get wiped their ass once or twice, which would be an excuse to see their dark side.

Other than that, I return from the squat/demiurge, anyone ? XD

Don't shoot me, heretic ! I speak High Gothick and english isn't my first language !

Check out my space marine story if you dare :

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=187466
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-19-16, 05:46 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
I wouldn't actually remove any of the current Xenos races on the Tabletop, but I would definitely add these boys;

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Rak'Gol

The Rak'gol make the Orks look like wimps and the Dark Eldar look like sadist-amateurs.

LotN
Hmm these sound cool as! I've not actually encountered before. Yet another interesting group of aliens from around the ghoul stars.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-19-16, 06:46 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriks View Post
This is exactly the reasoning behind having a "red paint job" upgrade for their vehicles. They think it will go faster, so that makes it go faster.

The Tau ARE actually grimdark. Their leaders mind control the lower classes. They lobotomize races to make them fit better into their society. They convert everyone by the sword to their greater good. Eldar have known they are just waiting for extinction for 10,000 years. They force asceticism on their entire culture to try to survive a little bit longer. What's not grimdark about that? I'm not arguing about looks, so what the Wulfen look like doesn't matter.

The issue isn't the spelling, it's that literally every single thing about the army gets its name from the same bad joke. If even half their army had actual names (instead of just misspelling what a child would call the unit), I would feel a lot differently.

This is an irrelevant point. No one is saying Orks don't like war, or aren't doing well in the fluff. What I am saying is that, for a setting that has gone so far out of its way to seem hopeless and doomed that a new word had to be invented to describe it, having a whole race for comic relief is annoying.
We're arguing over taste, so we're never going to agree.
The red paint job is one thing in the whole ork fluff that "works cause they want it too" there's no mention of any other thing that works like this it in the new codex at all. Have you read the new or codex? It's much less "goofy" than 2nd edition. In fact Orks havent been "goofy" for quite a while. However, as an ork player, I like the fact that they are not too serious, as to me this is a game, and it should be fun and entertaining. My job, mortgage and degree are serious enough, I don't need to take playing 40k seriously too.

If Orks weren't part of 40k, it would be a much changed beast, a lot of people would never have played it, and I think it probably would never have got off the ground. Orks are the ultimate protagonists for the imperium. The imperium is dour, and fretful, and violent and cruel, Orks are all also violent and cruel, but they're also cheerful. They're the only race that is. They are the antithesis of the imperium, which takes itself far to seriously. That's appealing to me.
Tau and eldar may have their faults, but they are not grimdork, that is solely the preserve of the imperium. All the other races have their own agendas and care not a whit for high gothic or nuns and monks in space, (and wacky space vikings).

Ork spelling is part of their kulture. It's not childish because they don't have children, it's simplified gothic, which as I mentioned before is impressive in its way. A brutal race with the physiology of a 400 pound gorilla that can speak a language with a jaw the size of a dustbin lid designed for squishy pink monkeys is quite a feat. The spelling reflects the simplicity and brutal mindset of Orks, if it was all Death Blitz fighter and the like, then it would be odd, because it doesn't fit their society. I've never heard of someone rubbishing an entire faction because they don't like the names.
post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-19-16, 07:51 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
We're arguing over taste, so we're never going to agree.
The red paint job is one thing in the whole ork fluff that "works cause they want it too" there's no mention of any other thing that works like this it in the new codex at all.
In the Sanctus Reach novel there's some interesting fluff pertaining to this. The Mechboyz would occasionally talk in "mechboyz" lingo--that is, highly technical knowledge that the Old Ones bred into the Krork--Orks as we know them. One of the Mekboyz is trying to add a Knight's voidshield projector to his Stompa (with its own "bubble shield") when he says this:

"Caution must be taken when interfacing ionic technologies, especially those that originate with alien species whose consciousness wavelengths are incompatible with the psychically motivated etheric generators of the krork."

So we can see, at least, the "bubble shield" the Orks use are powered by some latent psychic power the Orks possess.

It's not absolute proof, but it does seem that at least some Ork technology works off their psychic powers--the belief that it works, perhaps?

Quote:
I wouldnt remove any race, I would expand tau.

However GW has homogenised them into an anime bore fest.
I've asked this before, but never erally received an answer.

As an avid anime fan for the last 2 decades, I hardly see anything that specifically anime related about the Tau.

Piloted suits of armor is hardly something restricted to the anime medium.

We have dreadnoughts and Knights in WH40k alone. What's up with all this "anime" hype, anyway?
post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-19-16, 07:59 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

I'm digging the Rak'gol.
they are insane. nasty, evil, powerful xenos.
I dig them.
As for kicking out: Tau aka Gundam Tabletop game. They look like Infinity made an appearance in 40k. They are not grimdark, they are not visually compatible with the gothic enviroment, they have abusive rule and are (sorry guys) a point-click army. Not fun to play with nor against. They where born just to stim Wh40k in a time where it looked like it was all going to crumble for the bad sales. Fuck them.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-19-16, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Brobaddon's Flag is: Croatia

Quote:
As an avid anime fan for the last 2 decades, I hardly see anything that specifically anime related about the Tau.
Agreed with Hailene here. I dislike Tau, but i don't see anything anime-ish in them. Pilot driven mechs are hardly anime, and they certainly don't look like anime mechs, which are usually ridiculous and are little more than literal fighting suits able to do just anything. At least the Tau' suits have limitations and battlefield roles that suits the more military approach of sci-fi. It's not just one man's army.

Though I can guess people see a lot of asian philosophy in them, especially borrowed from japanese mythology and culture so automatically they link them to anime, which is nonsensical to me.

But yeah, agreed with Delvarus, fuck Tau. I wish Stormlord and Necrons ripped Shadowsun a new one.

Quote:
They are not grimdark, they are not visually compatible with the gothic enviroment
And eldar and orks are? Why should they have to be compatible? They're their own race , culture and what not, no matter how sucky they are. I mean, Gothic is human made term, steaming from our own culture and fiction. Why would Tau be Gothic? That makes no sense.

Last edited by Brobaddon; 02-19-16 at 10:42 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode