Fluff complaints? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-16, 02:24 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Yep, that would be the one. Man, Mark Gibbons did great work.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-16, 04:45 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

At least it doesn't look like this:

*shudders* Maybe I just don't want to see them on my models.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-16, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
So the idea that assassins, fighting on their home soil against astartes who aren't known for being subtle would lose against beings trained to strike at only the opportune moment?
A trained assassin versus a genetically engineered superhuman who has been fighting on the front lines for centuries... Especially when the astartes know they are about to fight against them... I would expect some initial heavy losses from the marines, but not a near-extermination.

On top of that, this fight would have been combat assassins aren't used to. They don't fight battles, they fight solo. If the assassins were space marines who were found to be good at subtle combat and trained to be assassins, it would be easier to swallow. But they are just regular people fighting against people so tough and powerful that regular people liken them to demigods.

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-16, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Also, really I was frustrated about a scene in Mechanicum. I'm going to try to use spoiler tags for the first time here to explain what was frustrating.

Last edited by Tyriks; 02-02-16 at 05:31 PM.
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-16, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
At least it doesn't look like this:

*shudders* Maybe I just don't want to see them on my models.
It seems like if they were just peeking out, it would be a lot less annoying (and easier to deal with), but he just looks like an idiot at, say, a frat costume party. Why would he just chill on a battlefield with his mouth hanging open like that? Reminds me of this.
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-16, 03:40 PM

Brobaddon's Flag is: Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Almost the entirety of the Damocles and Mont'ka campaign books fluff. It's just so fucking shit. Fire warriors out stealthing Raven Guard. Hundreds of Space Marines being killed in the opening moments of the battle. I'm pretty sure if you read and tallied up both books kills, the entire Raven Guard and White Scars chapter were killed many times over. Even the RG chapter master for fucks sake. And at the end of it the Raven Guard are just like 'Well, we're needed elsewhere in other fights', whereas they pretty much lost their entire chapter strength are would be critically endangered.

So yeah, it bugs me when authors write stuff like that to show how powerful and amazing the Tau are(or how much they love them in anycase), without really thinking about the numbers of casualties they are writing about. It's clear the writer did not even begin to think of how a chapter is only 1000 marines and just throws random casualty numbers out with no thought.

The horrendous and obvious bias to the Tau throughout the whole book is just awful. Even by GW standards.
Hasn't this always been the case? In pretty much any book I read about Tau vs Imperium, the author has been wanking Tau out of proportions, In the older Damocles anthology collection , we see a White Scar Captain fighting equally with Shadowsun in meele combat.

I don't know if the new Tau codex changed things and made Tau better in melee, but Shadowsun actually held her own against a fucking astartes captain and even managed to deliver a couple of armour-powered blows.

That was pretty pathetic if you ask me. Not only that, bu the Tau have managed to survive multiple ambushes made by Raven Guard and Catachan Jungle fighters together, and turn things around. We also see Shadowsun casually killing a Librarian from afar while he was in middle of casting. I feel like Tau are new Grey Knights and the wank is getting out of hand.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-16, 04:45 PM

Rush Darling's Flag is: United Kingdom

As a Raven Guard player, loving the Tau hate. That filthy Kauyon supplement really hurt my delicate, delicate feelings. In my mind Tau belong (along the eternally shifting scale of power) in the region of incredibly well equipped guardsman, where technology and superior (but not inhuman) martial discipline win the day. Whoever wrote the Kauyon supplement never wavered in their knowledge that Tau were going to win hands down, and decided after that fact to write veteran members of first founding space marine chapters as though they were Ogryns going hulk mode in their first battle ever. Ab.so.lute, unmitigated, garbage. (Re-write it and give my Chapter Master a decent death, you amateurish cretin!). To describe writing of this standard as adolescent would be to insult stupid teenagers doing stupid things the world over. God. Damned. Weeaboos.

Breathe darling, breathe.

Moving on. I'm very interested in this Assassin battle I've probably read and forgotten about, but i'm not sure where this impression that assassins are simply highly skilled humans came from. Reading from the wikia ( which presumably came from somewhere ) Their selection process is so harrowing that it put's some Astartes recruitment rites to shame, and their augmentations, whilst different to an Astartes, are probably at least comparable in terms of depth and complexity.

To find fluffy inconsistency you need look no further than The Iron Snakes novel, which sometimes portrays each single space marine as an almost unassailable bastion of destruction, and compare it to pretty much any other novel which throws power armoured red shirts down the drain so fast it'll make your head spin. HI KAUYON!

All in all there's so many writers it'd be impossible, or even boring, for all of the writing to be consistent. On the plus side there's so much material that you can usually find exciting parts that fit in with your own imagined universe, and that's part of what makes it great.

I've played other table top games, X-wing among them, but in spite of being a huge star wars fan there's nothing else that even compares to the depth and complexity of 40k to me. Not perfect, but damned if it isn't brilliant most of the time.
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-14-16, 03:08 PM

Emperor's children and Imperial Fist.

It infuriate me that each very few time they are portrayed in a book, they tend to die, or loose.

So okay, I'm aware that the Emperor's Children are an uneasy subject to portray handily without offending many people, but by the eye ! Even the few survivng loyalist tend to die almost as soon as they appear....

Don't shoot me, heretic ! I speak High Gothick and english isn't my first language !

Check out my space marine story if you dare :

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=187466

Last edited by Doom wolf; 02-14-16 at 03:13 PM.
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-14-16, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom wolf View Post
Emperor's children and Imperial Fist.

It infuriate me that each very few time they are portrayed in a book, they tend to die, or loose.

So okay, I'm aware that the Emperor's Children are an uneasy subject to portray handily without offending many people, but by the eye ! Even the few survivng loyalist tend to die almost as soon as they appear....
I'm pretty uninformed about Chaos fluff. What makes the Emperor's Children an uneasy subject?
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-14-16, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriks View Post
I'm pretty uninformed about Chaos fluff. What makes the Emperor's Children an uneasy subject?
Well you know, It's a Slaanesh worshiping faction : Most of the time, Slaanesh are visually portrayed as hedonistic-demonistic-drug addict-BDSM maniacs. Quite a bad subject for a company that try to refresh his customer pool among the young people. ("Hey daddy ! Look at my new army minis of drug-abusing crazies !")

I always felt that Games Workshop was awkward with Slaanesh, and AoS has quite confirmed my feelings about that. Slaanesh was at first Chaos god of pleasure, then became Gods of excess...then it god basically dumped in Age of Sigmar. I feel the only reason it hasn't got dumped in WH40K was the fact it was just too hard to do so, and would infuriate too many fans.

Don't shoot me, heretic ! I speak High Gothick and english isn't my first language !

Check out my space marine story if you dare :

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=187466

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode