How large the Dark Angels and White Scars do you think? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-25-15, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Default How large the Dark Angels and White Scars do you think?

Also, are you thinking that Blood Angels number can be amended in future Forge World book(according to Forge World, tentatively book 8)? How about your opinion?

Last edited by Rotundus; 12-25-15 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-26-15, 02:57 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

So you mean during the Great Crusade or 40k? Because 40k both are pretty adherent to the codex and number the standard 1000. The Blood Angels were listed as 100,000 strong in Fear to Tread. Not certain, but fairly sure the White Scars are fairly average, 80,000 - 100,000 range.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-26-15, 04:32 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Thought the Scars was one of the smallest legions? Heard some blabber about a mere 7k marines.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-26-15, 05:53 PM
The Emperor Protects

The warhammer wiki says that, but provides no source as usual. I've never read in any of the official material anything about their size. Ilya Ravelion in Scars, amongst other things or trying to find out their size, but their organisation just makes it impossible. There's no reason they should be small though.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-26-15, 08:59 PM

Gorthol's Flag is: England

Wow only 7k marines of the White scars? I don't believe that; if you could find a source for that number it'd be interesting, possibly my least favourite legion personally but that is interesting.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-27-15, 02:22 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
So you mean during the Great Crusade or 40k? Because 40k both are pretty adherent to the codex and number the standard 1000. The Blood Angels were listed as 100,000 strong in Fear to Tread. Not certain, but fairly sure the White Scars are fairly average, 80,000 - 100,000 range.
I thought the BAs were 120,000 and knocked down to 100,000 after the Traitor's trap?
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-27-15, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Great Crusade, of course. See the Forge World mention. And I think Vth Legion has to be rather large(I personally conjecture between 150,000 to 200,000), just similar way as the Alpha Legion, especially considering this intriguing tidbit...

Quote:
Documentary evidence attests that the IVth Legion gene-seed showed an above-average adaptability and rates of implant rejection were notably low, particularly in comparison with difficulties in large scale implantation encountered with other Progenoid types, which would not be eliminated until the acquisition of the gene-labs of Luna. This advantage meant that the IVth Legion's fighting strength was built rapidly, expanding to several fully battle-ready battalions in size while some of the other nascent Legions were still yet unable to field more than an active century. This in turn meant that the IVth Legion was very swiftly put to active-service alongside the Ist and Vth Legions.
Also, as fare as I know, "fairly average" Legion size means 100,000 to 130,000. And above 150,000 is deemed as "mid-high" range, whilst 80,000 to 100,000 is definitely below average to the smallest.

Finally, I guess it is very probable that Dark Angels are one of largest, if not largest, Legions, even after infamous Rangdan Xenocide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
I thought the BAs were 120,000 and knocked down to 100,000 after the Traitor's trap?
I speculate it can be very much reshuffled in the next Forge World installment. Because that 120,000 number seems, apparently, did not include or reckon other handful of Blood Angels elements and detachments spread(or stranded) across galaxy after all.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-27-15, 06:21 AM
The Emperor Protects

Yeah sorry Fear to Tread does say 120,000. And that's meant to be their entire Legion. But obviously others are still scattered about, such as the guys on Molech. They shouldn't amount to a huge amount though. But yeah, the FW book they appear in will no doubt bump it up.

Dark Angels were meant to be huge until the Xenocide, dropped down to the average or lower for sure, but then Luther did streamline and improve training and recruitment so much that who knows how big.

The V legion are pretty scattered as well due to their style and organisation. I imagine they will be above the average when revealed in the FW books.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-27-15, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah sorry Fear to Tread does say 120,000. And that's meant to be their entire Legion. But obviously others are still scattered about, such as the guys on Molech. They shouldn't amount to a huge amount though. But yeah, the FW book they appear in will no doubt bump it up.

Dark Angels were meant to be huge until the Xenocide, dropped down to the average or lower for sure, but then Luther did streamline and improve training and recruitment so much that who knows how big.

The V legion are pretty scattered as well due to their style and organisation. I imagine they will be above the average when revealed in the FW books.
I reread Fear to Tread and yeah, it seems author really meant 120,000 as whole. However obviously "others" are still scattered across galaxy and of course, more importantly, FW tends to bump up already tenfold Legion size. Hell, even Ultramarines have been bumped up. Hitherto poor Fists are sole exception. After release of the Crimson Fists, they get not bumped at all. It seems that Alan Bligh and other members have decided keeping Fists as small as possible while routinely massacring them time and again.

Although yeah, I agree their amount will not be huge. According to new and fresh lore they have always been one of the most genetically unstable Legions after all and I doubt there recruitment pool would be extensive enough to expand them one of the larger Legions(they have only three secondary recruitment worlds).

No, in Xenocide they had lost only 50,000, and still huge. It seems even after Xenocide, only Ultramarines and possibly several of other largest Legions outnumbered them. And in the Wolf King, Dark Angels commander explicitly states they are larger and more powerful than any period...so yeah, we can vaguely guess their number. And who knows how many recruitment worlds and outposts they doubtlessly have in the galactic fringes and void beyond?

So now you have changed your mind and also consider WS will be revealed to have 150,000+ legionaries? As a side note, in 30k, they now even rule private interstellar empire of the Kolrarne Circle, just as the Iron Warriors do in the Meratara Cluster or Ultramarines do in Ultramar.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-27-15, 12:48 PM
The Emperor Protects

Not so much changed my mind, just FW always hikes the numbers up with each successive book.

Also the White Scars gene-seed is quite stable with little to no mutations. So there's no reason why they shouldn't have a large recruitment pool.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode