How large the Dark Angels and White Scars do you think? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-27-15, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Not so much changed my mind, just FW always hikes the numbers up with each successive book.

Also the White Scars gene-seed is quite stable with little to no mutations. So there's no reason why they shouldn't have a large recruitment pool.
Umm...yes? I'm a little confused with what are you indicating. Would you mind if I ask to you elaboration?

Also, how the hell gene seed stability could be associated with size and range of recruitment pool? I mean, former is related with easiness of gene seed implant and/or replication, while latter is related with size potential population base and/or number of recruitment worlds. Two are completely and utterly irrelevant extrinsic factors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-27-15, 05:50 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotundus View Post
Umm...yes? I'm a little confused with what are you indicating. Would you mind if I ask to you elaboration?

Also, how the hell gene seed stability could be associated with size and range of recruitment pool? I mean, former is related with easiness of gene seed implant and/or replication, while latter is related with size potential population base and/or number of recruitment worlds. Two are completely and utterly irrelevant extrinsic factors.
Elaborate on which part?

I seem to have misinterpreted you talking about the Blood Angels instability, thinking you meant the White Scars. You seemed to have cited the Blood Angels instability for their size. But the more stable and mutation free the gene seed is, the higher the chance of successfully implanting it into a marine will be. With instability comes risks, flaws that need to be watched out for, chance of rejection by the host. Without all these, you can recruit a lot more aspirants and speed up the process much more. Or so I would imagine. You can have a huge recruitment pool. But if your gene seed is unreliable as hell, you aren't going to punch out the same volume as you could if it was stable. And as of the Great Crusade era the Scars were still being supplied with their share of recruits from Terra as well as Chogoris, the latter not having been noted as scare in aspirants. I imagine it would be quite plentiful in fact.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-28-15, 12:47 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Also the White Scars gene-seed is quite stable with little to no mutations. So there's no reason why they shouldn't have a large recruitment pool.
Small wandering tribes means a--relatively--small pool of aspirants to draw upon.

We see in Scars that some minority is drawn from Terra, but it seems most of the men come from Chorgoris.

I don't see the White Scars being one of the larger legions, personally.

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-28-15, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Elaborate on which part?

I seem to have misinterpreted you talking about the Blood Angels instability, thinking you meant the White Scars. You seemed to have cited the Blood Angels instability for their size. But the more stable and mutation free the gene seed is, the higher the chance of successfully implanting it into a marine will be. With instability comes risks, flaws that need to be watched out for, chance of rejection by the host. Without all these, you can recruit a lot more aspirants and speed up the process much more. Or so I would imagine. You can have a huge recruitment pool. But if your gene seed is unreliable as hell, you aren't going to punch out the same volume as you could if it was stable. And as of the Great Crusade era the Scars were still being supplied with their share of recruits from Terra as well as Chogoris, the latter not having been noted as scare in aspirants. I imagine it would be quite plentiful in fact.
Elaboration of below quote;

Quote:
Not so much changed my mind, just FW always hikes the numbers up with each successive book.

I have solely and exclusively meant White Scars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
Small wandering tribes means a--relatively--small pool of aspirants to draw upon.

We see in Scars that some minority is drawn from Terra, but it seems most of the men come from Chorgoris.

If they are only recruiting from the Empty Quarter and somehow wholesale neglecting other densely populated regions of Chogoris.

Furthermore, according to new FW lore, they now rule their own interstellar empire -- Kolarne Circle/Cluster.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-28-15, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Elaboration of below quote;
If they are only recruiting from the Empty Quarter and somehow wholesale neglecting other densely populated regions of Chogoris.

Furthermore, according to new FW lore, they now rule their own interstellar empire -- Kolarne Circle/Cluster.
Which densely populated regions of the planet? Surely not the weak city folk? I assumed they primarily recruit from the nomadic tribes.

And according to Scars the White Scars were moving towards only recruiting from Chogoris.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-28-15, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Which densely populated regions of the planet? Surely not the weak city folk? I assumed they primarily recruit from the nomadic tribes.

And according to Scars the White Scars were moving towards only recruiting from Chogoris.
Yeah, however FW stuffs are prone to subvert, modify, rectify or change previously established BL lore. And Legion recruitment pattern is just one of many.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-28-15, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, however FW stuffs are prone to subvert, modify, rectify or change previously established BL lore. And Legion recruitment pattern is just one of many.
Assuming that it did, could you cite where they primarily recruit from a wide span of planets?
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-16, 06:11 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Dark Angels were meant to be huge until the Xenocide, dropped down to the average or lower for sure, but then Luther did streamline and improve training and recruitment so much that who knows how big.
In Wolf King there is apparently the makings of a whole other DA legion hiding out in the Alaxess Nebula, raised and sent there by Luther on the orders of the Lion. They are the ones that rescue the Wolves from the AL.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-16, 07:00 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Yeah read it too. Can't really comment on Dark Angel numbers now, no idea of who is on Luthers side, who is on the Lions, who is on one of theirs but doesn't know why etc etc etc.

Sigh.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-22-16, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Recruiting from Chogoris does not mean only recruting nomads

EDIT: I see someone has raised that point.

The sedentary peoples might produce a lower ratio of tough specimens...but the sedentary people's are likely much more numerous

Last edited by MontytheMighty; 02-22-16 at 10:15 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode