Has there always been heresy? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-15, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Lord Lucian's Flag is: USA

Default Has there always been heresy?

I'm still new, have read a couple books and some online stuff, but what I want to know is story line wise, since the beginning of the game has there always been the traitor legions and the horus heresy or is that something that came later. This question mostly stems from seeing pre heresy paint schemes on some models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-15, 04:38 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Editions
Proper Chaos Marines appeared after the release of Rogue Trader (1st Ed 40K) but before the release of 2nd Ed.

There were occasional mentions of Space Marines rebelling before that, but they could also redeem themselves after they did. So the Heresy was added to the storyline later.

Current Storyline
The Emperor created Space Marine Legions to wage a grand crusade to capture the galaxy for humanity. The Emperor had other plans as well, so handed leadership of the crusade to Horus. Horus fell to Chaos, followed by the leaders of some of the other Legions. At which point some Legions joined Chaos.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-15, 05:14 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I got into 40k just before 2nd edition hit and always remember there being a Horus Heresy. Can't speak for the initial Rougue Trader release though.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-15, 08:24 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

The first edition of 40k did not have a Horus Heresy. Which started in a later edition with naught but a sentence.

But the Emperor having been a shattered husk and entombed in the golden throne, have been a thing since the beginning. The Horus Heresy told why he ended there.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-15, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Lord Lucian's Flag is: USA

It's such an expanded universe. There's so much out there to think about. Story is what really got me interested in the game to begin with
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-15, 09:27 PM

Brother Emund's Flag is: United Kingdom

It covers a long period of time and there is lots of scope for different things arriving/ changing etc. It will evolve and evolve.

"Death occurs when a lethal projectile comes together in time and space with a suitable target, in the absence of appropriate armour or protection”

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Hunted verses the Inquisition: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...98#post2184698

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-15, 01:08 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucian View Post
It's such an expanded universe. There's so much out there to think about. Story is what really got me interested in the game to begin with
You arn't wrong there thats one of the things inlove about this game. Some interesting ones to note well what i like include the "cursed foundings", some of the interesting alien species "mega archnids" or even the obscure cults and sects which exist such as
Those who worship the undieing emperor as a sungod or even the resurectionests who plan to kill the emperors living body to allow him to assend.

Very very interesting stuff.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode