Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Alpha Legion are the most powerful Legion?

9K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Mossy Toes 
#1 · (Edited)
Some portion of them are engaging with Istvaan Remnant. Another portion of them rebelled(led by Omegon). They are suffering virtual inter-Legion civil war.

Still, they take both Scars and Wolves and winning. Chondax was just a beginning and they are fighting with Vth and VIth across galaxy entire, even as far as the region of Pale Stars. Remember by nature, both Scars and Alphas are widely dispersed Legions. Moreover, in Alaxxes, a fifth of Alpha Legion main force(led by Alpharius) are greater and mightier than Wolves entire fleet.

It is stated they might have comparable number to Ultramarines and are able to field previously unthinkable number of Legionaries simultaneously across the entire galaxy. It seems even conjectured upper limit of 180,000 strength is severe underestimation. I think it is quite plausible that Alphas are the most numerous Legion.

They never fail except sheer turn of chance or fate. They have practically no weaknesses. They control and exploit each and every factor and element and if enemies somehow achieved meaningful victory or breakthrough, it is just because they allowed enemy to win, with possible one or two exceptions.

Novels and Forge World Books already pretty much established them as one of the most powerful and fearsome Legion. And it seems if anything, they are increasingly nearing territory of unadulterated Mary Sue, if they did not cross the line long time ago.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Nope, capacities of Alpha Legion are not mere propaganda or contrived lies. It is grain of salt, and solid, established facts. I think 30k Imperial chroniclers have no reason whatsoever to inflate or exaggerate powers and abilities of their hated, despised foe and records, eye witnesses and first-hand experience generally do not lie.

#6 ·
I have personal doubts the Alpha Legion could be the largest. The sort of fighting they did...it's sorta harkens back to Horus Rising when they compared what it took to become a Space Marine and an Iterator. For a Space Marine they need genetic compatibility with the geneseed and a willingness to fight unto death. That's not too hard to come about in the war torn post Long Night galaxy. Everything else, warcraft, discipline (and this was negotiable when we look at the World Eaters), and fighting technique can be readily taught.

For Iterators, they're a breed apart. As the book says, you can teach someone what to think but it's much harder to change how someone thinks. And I think for an Alpha Legionnaire, finding aspirants for them would be extremely difficult.

I don't think their numbers are likely to be all that great. Remember, the Alpha Legion is more than willing to utilize skilled human operatives to bolster their force. Also they're masters of planning. They can do more with less--if given the proper information and time to work out a proper plan.

#7 ·
I don't think their numbers are likely to be all that great. Remember, the Alpha Legion is more than willing to utilize skilled human operatives to bolster their force. Also they're masters of planning. They can do more with less--if given the proper information and time to work out a proper plan.
All the more reason their numbers are in fact that great. They don't lose as many members because they use proxies. And being masters of planning and perfectionists, they don't waste manpower unless they need to.

There was even an extract in one of the ForgeWorld books that said something along the lines of the AL being able to replenish their numbers/join a warfront with exceedingly large numbers for unknown reasons.

#10 ·
"Deliverance Lost" may give some clues about the way the Alpha Legion are able to replenish their losses faster than any other legion/chapter.

The Alpha Legion is the most powerful in matter of deception and planning, for sure. But I'm not sure that they are better than Iron Warriors for a siege, Word Bearers within the Eye of Terror or Ultramarines for purely battlefield tactics and strategy. Do you think, for instance, that they would have done better than the Thousand Sons against the Space Wolves, or than the Space Wolves against the Thousand Sons ?

#12 ·
I think the beauty of the XX is they could be the largest legion, but only one or two people would ever know. Similarly they could be the smallest!

"Deliverance Lost" may give some clues about the way the Alpha Legion are able to replenish their losses faster than any other legion/chapter.

The Alpha Legion is the most powerful in matter of deception and planning, for sure. But I'm not sure that they are better than Iron Warriors for a siege, Word Bearers within the Eye of Terror or Ultramarines for purely battlefield tactics and strategy. Do you think, for instance, that they would have done better than the Thousand Sons against the Space Wolves, or than the Space Wolves against the Thousand Sons ?
Yes.

"Alpharius has gone too far this time. Bring him to me, dead or alive"
"Okay"

The Space Wolves set off for the AL homeworld

"Wait... where are we going?" :(

#16 ·
I wouldn't say they're anywhere close to being mary sues or even being the most powerful legion in the galaxy.
A legion like the space wolves or ultramarines are united in what they're doing, they don't have to wonder if another legionary is operating under secret orders, because they know they themselves are.

#22 ·
I concur...the AL are "wanked"...but not by Abnett, only by inferior writers after him

FW has a habit of favouring pet chapters in 40K (e.g. the super-unstoppable ultra-savage Executioners, Minotaurs, Carcharadons who only meet a challenge when they fight each other...cuz y'know, all that matters in war is how savage and bloodthirsty you are in close combat)

FW's pet legions are AL and NL...and I think SW will be next

#23 ·
Have you even read the Imperial Fist or Ultramarine rules? They're comparable to AL and NL.

In all honesty, the only ones that aren't as powerful as the others are the ones from Betrayal. The rest are pretty solid. However, book 6 seems set to readdress some of this imbalance, so that'll be nice.

Their fluff is a bit Mary Sue, but that's because we're used to Chapters, which are frail, thinly stretched, diluted versions of the Legions they come from. The Legions are the zenith of the Imperium's power so it makes sense for them to be more powerful than we expect from 40k space marines

#24 ·
Yes and what I mean is no other than fluff. I have not ever said their rule is Mary Sue.

Frankly speaking, I wonder if you have even read the main tread, let alone comments.

And I am saying that Alpha Legion are close to Mary Sue in standard of Legion, NOT Chapter.

#26 · (Edited)
More seriously: the Alpha Legion have some things seriously going for them, but to a self-destructive degree. They are... control freaks and obfuscators, expending massive amounts of resources to cover every angle and overthink everything to the Nth degree without revealing the slightest bit about their true intentions before committing to the operation.

This degree of over-commitment is probably best displayed as self-sabotaging in Sanders' "The Serpent Beneath," in The Primarchs anthology: it's a display of the Alpha Legion at its most Mary Sue, pulling off an incredible heist caper against...

They suffer from a severe case of "the right hand knows not what the left hand does"--they have given too much initiative to too many people on too many levels without a rigid and rigorous guiding set of values or philosophy. They are lost in the woods for the trees; too hyper-competent on a micro level but lost and formless on the macro level, without structure or ideals; and too plastic and malleable in order to be able to turn themselves into whatever they need to be to overcome the next obstacle to have any overarching identity that defines their course.

Good grief, I love the Alpha Legion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.