Discussion: If Slaanesh Had Never Been Created - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-15, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Aguth the Blooded's Avatar
Aguth the Blooded's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Reputation: 1
Default Discussion: If Slaanesh Had Never Been Created

So honestly I have very few gripes about 40k/Fantasy Lore, but one of the biggest things I think should have never been put into these fictional universes, is the Chaos god Slaanesh. I won't make this a long rant of the reasons I think Slaanesh is a horrible figure to have in these fictional universes, but to put it simply, as the title of the thread says I don't think he should have ever been created.

So now onto the question I wanted to ask my fellow forum members, what if Slaanesh was never created in 40k/Fantasy? What do you all think it would be like for the Chaos gods and also their followers if there were only Nurgle, Khorne and Tzeentch? Also if there was to be a fourth god do you think it should be Malal/Malice or if not him what type of god can you think of to take the fourth spot, what would his attributes, sources of power and sphere of influence be?
Aguth the Blooded is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-15, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
hailene's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,215
Reputation: 17
Default

I like him, personally. Really enjoy the touch of how the Eldar fell due to their arrogant and decadent ways. A good moral, if you will.

As for another Chaos God? Maybe like one of hope/despair or mania/passion sort of deal.

The hop/despair combo since you really can't one without the other and the idea of taking passion to the point of excess sounds pretty nifty to me. Even the idea of doing "good" to the point of self-destruction.
hailene is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-15, 04:03 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely
 
Dave T Hobbit's Avatar
Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Inside my Head, Bristol, UK
Posts: 8,550
Reputation: 44
Default

Changed thread title as not about why Slaanesh shouldn't have been created.
Dave T Hobbit is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-15, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
neferhet's Avatar
neferhet's Flag is: Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 3,694
Reputation: 57
Default

I'm honestly curious about your opinion about slaanesh baing a bad figure to have in grimdark 40k. Since i don't want to derail the thread, i'd love to receive a PM with your ideas on the matter
Just out of sheer curiosity, since, you know, slaanesh is my preferred god!! (even in Real life )

About a valid sobstitute...well, malal ,imo, is on junior league, i've never seen him as something more than a nuisance to the true gods (even with the old comics badassery: that was just 1 champion...maybe the only one he had. I would love to see him pitted against Doombreed and see who's best at killing stuff.)
A god to replace slaanesh could only be a sobstitute. We could take a god of ignorance and zealotry, wich are widespread in the galaxy. We could expand from this and include the general concept of malal, getting to a god of entropy, obscurantism, self destruction and ignorance; something like a god of Darkness: the void in space, the oblivion, the non-existence.
I am picturing it like a mixture of the Neverending Story's "The Nothing", the Goddess "Shar" from Forgotten Realms 2nd edition and the warp-manifestation of the dark-ages on a galactic scale, all sprinkled with Malal's deuchbaggery.
And we could call it "Nihil, the Empty God, Lord of the Void"
Clearly a god fiercely opposed to all the remaining three (expecially with Nurgle due to his claim over entropy...)

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
neferhet is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-15, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Aguth the Blooded's Avatar
Aguth the Blooded's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Reputation: 1
Default

While I can not think of anything original yet, one minor god that has been rumored to exist in 40k that I think would make for a interesting deity in the big four is the god of the Chaos Space Marine Raptors, which it is said some Raptors decide to give their faith to instead of the four.

The Raptor god is a god that is extremely predatory in nature and loves the thrill of the hunt, while stalking his prey he enjoys mentally torturing his victim(s) causing great amounts of psychological horror because the other thing he loves as much as the thrill of the hunt is causing his prey extreme amounts of fear and terror. And when he has toyed with them long enough and their terror and fear have reached their peak and his victims panic has sent them into disarray he strikes out from the shadows to butcher them in close combat.

So he is basically a god of the hunt, fear and terror and with more fleshing out I think he would make for a interesting god. He definitely would find some followers among Raptors (obviously) and Chaos Bikers since what he does fits very well with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
I like him, personally. Really enjoy the touch of how the Eldar fell due to their arrogant and decadent ways. A good moral, if you will.

As for another Chaos God? Maybe like one of hope/despair or mania/passion sort of deal.

The hop/despair combo since you really can't one without the other and the idea of taking passion to the point of excess sounds pretty nifty to me. Even the idea of doing "good" to the point of self-destruction.
Very interesting ideas, do you have any further thoughts on them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
I'm honestly curious about your opinion about slaanesh baing a bad figure to have in grimdark 40k. Since i don't want to derail the thread, i'd love to receive a PM with your ideas on the matter
Just out of sheer curiosity, since, you know, slaanesh is my preferred god!! (even in Real life )

About a valid sobstitute...well, malal ,imo, is on junior league, i've never seen him as something more than a nuisance to the true gods (even with the old comics badassery: that was just 1 champion...maybe the only one he had. I would love to see him pitted against Doombreed and see who's best at killing stuff.)
A god to replace slaanesh could only be a sobstitute. We could take a god of ignorance and zealotry, wich are widespread in the galaxy. We could expand from this and include the general concept of malal, getting to a god of entropy, obscurantism, self destruction and ignorance; something like a god of Darkness: the void in space, the oblivion, the non-existence.
I am picturing it like a mixture of the Neverending Story's "The Nothing", the Goddess "Shar" from Forgotten Realms 2nd edition and the warp-manifestation of the dark-ages on a galactic scale, all sprinkled with Malal's deuchbaggery.
And we could call it "Nihil, the Empty God, Lord of the Void"
Clearly a god fiercely opposed to all the remaining three (expecially with Nurgle due to his claim over entropy...)
I sent you that PM you asked for also these are also some interesting ideas, so basically are you taking some key points of Malal and just adding to it? And the rivalry with Nurgle seems like a interesting concept, and the way you describe him makes me think of a god who enjoys the darkness and whose main patron color would be black.

Devoted Follower Of Khorne

Last edited by Aguth the Blooded; 10-13-15 at 02:05 AM.
Aguth the Blooded is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-15, 10:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Malus Darkblade's Avatar
Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,332
Reputation: 8
Default

Who would encompass pleasure? That is a huge emotion, arguably the most potent.

Tzentech= knowledge
Khorne = bloodthirst
Nurgle = despair

How would a raptor 'god' fill the void? Thrill of the hunt falls under pleasure. Slaanesh covers all aspects of that.
Malus Darkblade is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-15, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
neferhet's Avatar
neferhet's Flag is: Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 3,694
Reputation: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Who would encompass pleasure?
Exactly. To make a good sobstitute we should find a similar great emotion. Thrill of the hunt is, imo, an aspect of slaanesh and maybe a bit of khorne. One of the lesser being of the warp.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
neferhet is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome