To Save the Emperor - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-15, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default To Save the Emperor

Reading the Cult Mechanicus Codex I came across this little shocker;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Mechanicus
The Tech-Priest custodians at work in the Emperor's Palace uncover irreparable failures in the mechanisms of the Golden Throne. A dozen contingency expeditions are immediately launched, including a Xanthite war procession sent through the Exhubris Portal. The Xanthites fight through Harlequin Troupes and Daemon hordes alike before reaching their intended destination. In the grave-cold oubliettes beneath Commorragh, a dark bargain is struck.
So, the Mechanicus is dealing with the Dark Eldar Haemonculi for a method to restore the Emperor before the Golden Throne fails and kills him. Or more accurately, has dealt with. They have made a bargain, I doubt this will ever come to anything but the idea is startling. Dark Eldar resurrection technology could in theory save the Emperor, and it is in the best interest of the Dark Eldar that the Emperor remain alive (If he dies then Chaos wins and their race won't survive very long after the Dark Gods consume reality). But there's no way that the backstabbing Twisted Kin won't try to work this to their angle, but are the Mechanicus smart enough to see through their tricks? Who can say.

Thoughts on this piece of lore?

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-15, 04:21 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

It seems like the next step in a long chain of lore stretching back to Rogue Trader and the Illuminati and the Sensei.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-15, 04:23 PM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

All I can think is what the Big E has to say about this.

-So you saved me through the use of xeno technology? I suddenly feel the need to commit suicide.

Chaos win!

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-15, 05:09 PM

I think it would be brilliant if it worked.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-15, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriouce View Post
All I can think is what the Big E has to say about this.

-So you saved me through the use of xeno technology? I suddenly feel the need to commit suicide.

Chaos win!
Why? During the Great Crusade he never had any issue with the Imperium using/reverse engineering xenos technology.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-15, 06:34 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Considering the webway IS eldar/old one in origin, and that the Secret Project involved digging into the webway to adapt it for Imperial use. So no, the Emperor would not have any hangups against it.

I saw this lore bit a while back with the reveal of the Skitarii army, and it clearly sounds to me that the Mechanicum have managed to get access to the webway. Perhaps a smaller and unbroken conduit, apart from the main branch that Magnus shattered in his hubris. I paid note to the exhubris portal, which I believe is related to Magnus' folly

Sending a warhost through it to strike a deal with the dark eldar, whom retains the most of the eldar pre-fall knowledge in order to surely repair the ruined Imperial Webway I believe. Which would free the Master of Mankind from having to constantly expend all his power to keep the warp rift closed, and allowing him to heal.

That the warhost is Xanthite is also a curious mention. But it makes sense, if warpdabbling inqusitors have taken it upon themselves to try solve the issues of the failing golden throne before its too late. Where I daresay that other inqusitorial orders would more like to try to sweep the evidence in under the rug, praying for it to go away, or simply ignoring or denouncing it as heresy. The god emperor is infallible!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-15, 08:37 PM

I thought the elder couldn't repair or make the webway? (after all it was inherited from the Old Ones?)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-15, 08:50 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

We dont know exactly what this xantite war procession have looked for in Commoragh. But given that the problem shackling the Emperor to the Golden Throne, -IS- the ruined Imperial Webway, which stands to reason that the dark eldar may have something for sealing it properly

But the Dark Eldar jealously hoards much knowledge lost to their craftworld cousins.
Like the device used to destroy Valedor, a pre-fall eldar worldkiller device hidden by the druchii. So its not impossible id say that they have something to block up a webway spur. Considering how Commoragh is built, they have a lot of proficiency with dimensional engineering. such as making new subrealms, or letting arena specators all have a close up view of the action, to feel the bloodsplatters in their faces from a distance.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-15, 04:49 PM

Who wrote the Cult Mechanicus Codex and does he have permission to expand on this piece of lore further?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-15, 05:10 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow_ View Post
Who wrote the Cult Mechanicus Codex and does he have permission to expand on this piece of lore further?
A joint effort between James Swallow, Ben Counter, and Nick Kyme if I am not mistaken.

Otherwise known as the triumverate; the pillars that hoist Black Library on their shoulders, keeping its coffers filled so that future generations may know that Vulkan most certainly lives, a Sister of Battle is more than a match for a Grey Knight (thus tapping into the untapped feminist market which is brilliant) and that Chaos lurks in every corner from the tires of an ice-cream truck to a discarded titty mag.

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 09-26-15 at 05:21 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode