Power Amrour Adaptability - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-15, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Default Power Amrour Adaptability

So just another random question for me, as always trying to stir you all into some sort of fervor to see everyone's opinion.

Question or scenario today concerns the ubiquitous power armor, the most recognizable thing from 40k the imposing silhouette of a marine armored and armed to the teeth.

Power armor itself is certainly on of the most adaptable things apart from the old imperial guard leman russes which seem to have a variation of each roll and then of course the old rhino and chimera chassis. But back to the point the armor with what seems to be fairly little hassle can have what would seem to be quite major changes made rapidly e.g. attaching a jump pack instead of the standard reactor, swapping out the standard armored gauntlet for a power fist, or even in the case of damage pieces can be efficiently swapped for others without hassle. With these and many others the marines can easily arm and armor themselves as need without the need to swap to completly different armor such as tactical dreadnaught armor well even concerning terminators I assume the centurion additional plates and hydraulics is not a huge upgrade just needing the armor to be matched and assembled (same with dreadknight armor).

So the question is what is the best change that can be made to the armor without need to major alterations? Or is there an alternative that probably be easy to implement?

Personally I'm quite liking the idea of thrusters (similar to halo 4, but more compact and limited than jump packs) used to increase lateral movement, if combined with the already insane speed of the marine it would increase their effectiveness tenfold. Ability for dodging fire more effectively than just hiding behind terrain, possibilities for use with leaping or jumping against walls for limited wall running? Imagine the inertia and momentum of a marine sprinting at you, dropping his shoulder for a ram the thrusting ahead with great speed? Even standard bolter marines would benefit.

That is all. any thoughts?

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!

Last edited by Battman; 09-18-15 at 05:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-15, 04:34 AM

stronger armor plates
eldar style force fields
tau style stealth
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-15, 09:15 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

You have to remember that Astartes armor isn't light. The marine is insanely dense.

I don't think any small booster is going to get a marine very far or increase his speed in any serious way. Hence why they need those honky massive jetpacks to get them anywhere.

As for what minor modification...I'd say some sort of ammo backpack or satchel. Marines carry just a handful of magazines. If they could carry, say, 20 magazines, their tactical flexibility would go up considerably, I think.

That or something akin to Terminator gear where they can get a 360 view around them at all times via their helmet feed.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-15, 01:23 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Internal scratching mechanisms.

Nothing worse than being in the middle of a fire fight and get an itch. Balls, shoulder, back, you name it.

I suspect furious space marines have gone on Khornate rages because they're so frustrated at being itchy.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-15, 04:18 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I think greater access to the special issue ammo that stern guard get would do them better. As has been said they are probably too heavy for small thrusters to have effect, maybe passive personal defence add ons such as smoke or chaff canister on top of the reactor pack

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-15, 08:12 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Why not go big?

Void shields!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-15, 11:35 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
I think greater access to the special issue ammo that stern guard get would do them better. As has been said they are probably too heavy for small thrusters to have effect, maybe passive personal defence add ons such as smoke or chaff canister on top of the reactor pack
Look at the heavy space marine Centurion armor, they have all kinds of addons.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-15, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Internal scratching mechanisms.

Nothing worse than being in the middle of a fire fight and get an itch. Balls, shoulder, back, you name it.

I suspect furious space marines have gone on Khornate rages because they're so frustrated at being itchy.

Love it!!! Got quite a laugh out of this. ^

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-15, 11:35 AM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Much much worser for Terminators, as you need a whole ground crew and a crane to get out of that massive suit! Power armor can easilly be removed by the marine himself.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-15, 11:48 AM
Feed

I think they need racing stripes so they look cooler.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode