Marines Malevolent - What is going on? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 10:46 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
They havent been described as having pasty faces. So unlikely to be Ravenguard successors, as their successors share the pasty face trait.
But they haven't been described without helmets at all have they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 11:59 AM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

From In the depths of hades:
Vinyar turned and saw a third warrior standing by Sergeant Tuurok. Like the other Malevolents he was clad in bile-yellow and coal-black armour and moved with a predatory grace. His helmet was loosely attached to his belt, not mag-locked but held by a strap of leather. Though still battered, some of his battleplate looked more robust than the rest, as if it were an amalgam and not a concomitant suit. Scraped paint revealed some of the nature of who it had been taken from – black with a white templar cross. He wore his hammer strapped diagonally across his back – its haft jutted out above his left shoulder guard, the head visible just past his right hip. He looked battle-worn but vital, and was less scarred than Vinyar. Shoulder-length, pearl-white hair framed his face, giving the warrior a pseudo-angelic cast, but there was hate enough in his dark eyes to drown nations.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 12:07 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

No mention of skin tone though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 12:54 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I think of the Marines Malevolent like the original Star Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror." They all have goatees and are mostly bad people. They are the opposite of the mostly altruistic space marines from the regular universe. They're petty, backstabbing, and power hungry. They have jobs to do but also have to watch out for their comrades coming after them.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 02:05 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
He wore his hammer strapped diagonally across his back – its haft jutted out above his left shoulder guard, the head visible just past his right hip.
Off topic, but I always find it odd when it's mentioned that Astartes characters sling their weapons like this. Do the writers forget about the rather massive power packs on their backs? Look to the models alone, pick one up if you have one lying around and then get a melee weapon, or any weapons for that matter, or something of the appropriate size, and place it against the backpack. It just doesn't work, it would be the most awkward way possible to reach for a weapon.

On topic. I wouldn't rule out the Ultramarines, there are so, so many of them that I wouldn't doubt that they could have some rather extreme variation in some cases. As for the Imperial Fists, the Templars and Crimson Fists are quite different from their founding Legion as well, so they can't be entirely ruled out either.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 02:41 PM

I blame that one on a Kyme'ism. Its after all him who have written nearly all Marines Malevolent stuff. But however, that reminded me of a final book to check and I found a mention!

Page 90 of Salamander. Two platinum service studs were drilled into the Marine Malevolent sergeant's skull. His skin was dark and rugged as if the centuries of battlefield dirt and enemy blood was ingrained in it.

Edit:
Given the general lack of mention of their skin tone, and this one, I think its safe to say that they are not a Ravenguard successor. As all their known successors have had very strong indications of their inherited traits of white skin and black hair.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 07-16-15 at 03:54 PM.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

zerachiel76's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
I blame that one on a Kyme'ism. Its after all him who have written nearly all Marines Malevolent stuff. But however, that reminded me of a final book to check and I found a mention!

Page 90 of Salamander. Two platinum service studs were drilled into the Marine Malevolent sergeant's skull. His skin was dark and rugged as if the centuries of battlefield dirt and enemy blood was ingrained in it.

Edit:
Given the general lack of mention of their skin tone, and this one, I think its safe to say that they are not a Ravenguard successor. As all their known successors have had very strong indications of their inherited traits of white skin and black hair.
Good find, well I guess that rules out both the Raven Guard and Night Lords. I suppose they could be a weird Ultramarine offshoot. It's also known that the Salamanders only have black onyx like skin due to the radiation on Nocturne. Could it be possible that the MMs are descended from a hitherto unknown remnant of the Salamanders who went a bit insane after Istvaan V in the same way that some of the Iron Hands were described as going insane.

Could this be what Nick Kyme is hinting at with all the bad feeling between the Salamanders and the MMs. Could the MMs be the wicked disowned sons of the Salamanders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 10:50 PM

I think he mainly wanted to portray some of the darker sides of the astartes, a chapter that have forgotten their humanity. A quite jarring contrast to the humanist Salamanders.

However, that reminds me of something. The Salamanders had such a low number after the Horus Heresy that they took no part in the Second Founding, which is mentioned in the Salamander novel as well, page 131. So they cannot be the sires of the MMs, as they were about in M32.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 07-16-15 at 10:57 PM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 11:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
However, that reminds me of something. The Salamanders had such a low number after the Horus Heresy that they took no part in the Second Founding, which is mentioned in the Salamander novel as well, page 131. So they cannot be the sires of the MMs, as they were about in M32.
This would be a good point, but the seconomy founding occurred during M31, the Marines Malevolent are a third founding chapter.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-15, 12:01 AM

Point. But according to wiki the third founding only lists Flesh Eaters and Executioners at the very beginning of M32. But I can see the MMs are listed as an unstated founding in M32.

But the MMs is described as never having seen a marine with a melanchromic defect before, upon their initial meeting with the Salamanders. Appearing very suprised at the sight of the unhelmed salamanders, to the point of almost drawing weapons.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode