Chaos powered by more than Emotions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-15, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Default Chaos powered by more than Emotions

So here is the thing I was wondering, I know I saw somewhere a few times they are empowered by more than Emotions of mortals.

Example being a story of Slaanesh is feared by all the gods because their own pride and excess empowers Slaanesh anyway.

Another fluff I read was all acts that coincide with the god empower them, not just emotions. Death and Plagues in the universe grant power to said Nurgle. Change, and magic empowers Tzeentch. basically things not link to emotions at all empower them.

So fluff experts, kindly point me to the sources of examples like the above if ya can, and cite some examples your self, and where I can find them if you can. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-15, 08:45 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Khorne: the first meeting between humans on earth was full of fear and hatred and bloodshed. Probably that was the first spark of khorne being lit in the immaterium.
Also, martial pride and relentless carnages, selfsacrifice in pointless battles, all lend power to khorne.
That pieces of fluff was on the 3.5 ed chaos codex if i recall correctly.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-15, 09:40 AM
Feed

As I understand it, emotions and active worship feed the gods. Rituals and the like are often performed to grant power to the mortals or some similar reward, so there must be a trade off of some kind.

Worship itself could simply be a variant on the emotional aspect

If I remember right, the eldar gods were brought about by active worship as encouraged by the Old Ones, in order to actually create deities that could fight the c'tan. This could factor into why the Chaos Gods were unable to reach their current prominence much earlier, as the eldar (and by extension their gods) would have constituted the most powerful influence in the galaxy for quite some time.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-15, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Khorne: the first meeting between humans on earth was full of fear and hatred and bloodshed. Probably that was the first spark of khorne being lit in the immaterium.
Also, martial pride and relentless carnages, selfsacrifice in pointless battles, all lend power to khorne.
That pieces of fluff was on the 3.5 ed chaos codex if i recall correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
As I understand it, emotions and active worship feed the gods. Rituals and the like are often performed to grant power to the mortals or some similar reward, so there must be a trade off of some kind.

Worship itself could simply be a variant on the emotional aspect

If I remember right, the eldar gods were brought about by active worship as encouraged by the Old Ones, in order to actually create deities that could fight the c'tan. This could factor into why the Chaos Gods were unable to reach their current prominence much earlier, as the eldar (and by extension their gods) would have constituted the most powerful influence in the galaxy for quite some time.
Thanks for the sources and info, this helps a lot.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-15, 12:42 AM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

I am reading the Talon of Horus at the moment. Throughout, there are several attempts to try and more accurately describe the nature of the Warp and the power within it.

I think the Black Library authors in general have been gaining a more collected idea of what the Warp is and how to describe it. Recent novels have not been nearly as vague or conflicting in nature, from the ones I have read at least.

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-15, 08:51 PM
Craw-Daddy

Wasn't that Khorne story in Liber Chaotica? It was like a battle so big that people were drowning in the blood. Its a fantasy diary of a scholar of the Empire which tries to record and study the individual chaos gods. There's even visions of connection between fantasy and 40k.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-15, 08:58 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
Wasn't that Khorne story in Liber Chaotica? It was like a battle so big that people were drowning in the blood. Its a fantasy diary of a scholar of the Empire which tries to record and study the individual chaos gods. There's even visions of connection between fantasy and 40k.
it could be. i honestly stopped to care where the fluff comes from, all that matters is that fluff still flows.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-15, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Liber Chaotica sounds like a good source. I will try to check that out.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-15, 07:50 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock in Training View Post
So here is the thing I was wondering, I know I saw somewhere a few times they are empowered by more than Emotions of mortals.
Yes, I think so. Codex: Chaos Space Marines and Codex: Daemons both say that when Chaos worshippers die their souls conjoin with the gestalt consciousness of their patron god to increase its power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock in Training View Post
Another fluff I read was all acts that coincide with the god empower them, not just emotions. Death and Plagues in the universe grant power to said Nurgle. Change, and magic empowers Tzeentch. basically things not link to emotions at all empower them. .
The way I interpret it is that the reason specific acts associated with each god - plagues with Nurgle, wars with Khorne, sorcery with Tzeentch, debauchery with Slaanesh etc - actually empowers the gods is because they produce en masse the prominent emotions that the gods feed off.

For example, warfare on any scale produces significant emotional outputs of anger and rage and it is that anger and rage that empower Khorne, not the actual bloodshed itself. Plagues and pestilence causes outpourings of despair which is what empowers Nurgle rather than the actual plague itself.

Given the nature of the warp, there must be more to it than that, but that's the way I've always thought of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-15, 08:49 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
...For example, warfare on any scale produces significant emotional outputs of anger and rage and it is that anger and rage that empower Khorne, not the actual bloodshed itself. Plagues and pestilence causes outpourings of despair which is what empowers Nurgle rather than the actual plague itself.

Given the nature of the warp, there must be more to it than that, but that's the way I've always thought of it.
I would go further here and suggest that the chaos gods cannot be undone by undoing their followers. If there were no mortals in this galaxy left to empower the gods not only would they still have all of the other souls and power they previously absorbed but they have access to multiple dimensions and realities from which to recruit.

In Khorne's case I think the bloodshed itself DOES make a difference. In at least several places the fluff discussed that Khorne has no temples, the battlefield is his temple and every act of murder is an act of worship.

I'm still a little fuzzy on the actual nature and function of taking skulls in Khorne's name. Is the severed skull actually bodily transported to the realm of chaos when it is offered up? Or is it like some strange inverted transsubstatiation where the skull "here" is consecrated and a copy/replica is sent to the pile under Khorne's throne? Is this easier or harder when related to the size of the victim? For example when Roghrax Bloodhand attacked hive fleet Kraken to take large and impressive skulls where did Khorne put them? Does he play jenga with them?

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode