The seeds of Abominable Intelligence? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-15, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Default The seeds of Abominable Intelligence?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...d-fantasy.html

Came by this thought provoking article, and wanted to share it giiven how much a conflict with sentient machines ties into the warhammer 40k mythos.

Or even the recent Terminator Genisys movie, that paints AI domination as a terrible threat in the quite near future.

Movie spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-15, 09:18 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

All hail our cybernetic overlords!
it's the Dark Age of Technology! REJOYCE!!

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-15, 09:12 PM

The is a reason AI is looked with suspicion even in mass effect where diplomacy is an option AI are not liked this just cements it. Only good AI mostly are Geth the real ones not heretics

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 03:04 AM

It's a big thing. AI is going to do something this century. And it's going to be a combination of luck and skill that gets us to an endgame that we like. There are many excellent talks regarding this on youtube. Nick Bostrom is probably one of my favorites.

Wealth is created when we use new knowledge to create new things or improve efficiencies.
This technology, along with people pondering applications using type three levers is literally a new mechanical revolution in waiting. There are going to be many patents, from people who're curious and can tinker.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 08:22 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Humanity should be striving towards servitors, not complete AI which is heresy

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
Humanity should be striving towards servitors, not complete AI which is heresy
Techno-heresy to be precise.
With all the human rights and what not we won't have vat grown humans or clones for a long time. Using prisoners are biotechslaves won't run either. Haven't seen Blade runner or played Deus Ex, have you?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 03:27 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
Techno-heresy to be precise.
With all the human rights and what not we won't have vat grown humans or clones for a long time. Using prisoners are biotechslaves won't run either. Haven't seen Blade runner or played Deus Ex, have you?
The mistake in Blade Runner was not lobotomising their bio-slaves. I've always said that.

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 04:14 PM

There are two major societal risks, as far as I can see.
- the pace of automation going faster than humans can retrain
- the escape of a super-AI with a goal that we don't like

So, you lose a job as a checkout cashier to a self-serve checkout. No problem, you take on the job as a stockboy. A few months later, the stockboy position is replaced by a robotic autoloader system. Well, crap. But, you're clever, so you go and get your high-grade driver's license to be a long-haul truckdriver. It cost you a grand and you needed to cover rent in the meantime, but ehn. That's what lines of credit are for. But then robotic trucks are cheaper and you're laid off. Etc. etc.

On the plus side, the grocery store prices just got cheaper. Long-hauling just got cheaper. IF a new job was invented, you're in pretty good shape. It entirely depends on whether we're retasking those cashiers, stockboys, long-haul drivers faster than they're being replaced.

The 2nd scenario has an AI get out that has a goal we don't like. Some paperclip factory releases a "maximize paperclips" AI. So, it destabilizes the global economy to drive down the price of copper. Maybe a small nuclear war in order to prevent monitoring of nuclear facilities, so that it can buy larger amounts of electricity for cheap. Viola! Hundreds of billions of tonnes of paperclips per year!

OTOH, a good AI could peruse pubmed and invent cures for Alzheimer's that would breeze through safety testing. 10 years later, a looming epidemic doesn't happen and we save billions of dollars per year.

It's a huge risk and a huge reward.

Wealth is created when we use new knowledge to create new things or improve efficiencies.
This technology, along with people pondering applications using type three levers is literally a new mechanical revolution in waiting. There are going to be many patents, from people who're curious and can tinker.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Then theres the question of what a digital sentience will do if it feels threatened by fearful humans.

The origin story of Skynet in the unmodified timeline. The ai deduced humanity was a threat to it as they tried to shut it down right after it gained self awareness.

Such potential for destruction if an AI can take control of its housing and reach out on the internet.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 09:46 PM

Yeah, sentience is a completely important question too. There are good reasons to think that robotic sentience is (in theory) possible.

But intelligence needn't be sentient to be scary. It just needs a route by which it solves the problems it was told to solve. A stock trading supercomputer that trashes the world economy to get superior returns needn't know what it's doing. It just needs the tools to do it, and the programed drive to get it done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode