Unexpected pronunciations - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-15, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
zerachiel76's Avatar
zerachiel76's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 437
Reputation: 5
Default Unexpected pronunciations

I've been listening to Mortarion's Heart and it's been an eye opener in a way I didn't expect.

Ever since I knew his name back in the mists of time I've pronounced it Mor - tar - ee - on. However in the audio book they pronounce it Mort - air - ee - on. Wow, just wow. 25 years of pronouncing it wrong.

Therefore I wanted to get peoples thoughts on some of the other tricky pronunciations:

Is Sanguinius pronounced San - gwin - ee - us or san - gween - ee - us or something else entirely?
Is Perturabo pronounced Per - ta - rar - bow or per - tor - a - bow or something else entirely?
Is Vulkan pronounced Vul - cun or Vul - karn or something else entirely?
Is Jaghati pronounced Ja - gar - tie or Jag - a - tie?
Following the pronunciation of Mortarion, is Alpharius pronounced Alf - air - ee - us or Al - far - ee - us

So many names, so many pronunciation problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"
zerachiel76 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 01:42 AM
Senior Member
hailene's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,215
Reputation: 17
Default

My opinion is probably worthless, but I'll add my 2cents. I have a horrible track record with pronouncing things, so maybe you should look at how I say it and avoid using it.

Mortarion? MOR-tare-ee-on.

Sanguinius? San (sort like sand without the d)-gween-ee-us (short u, like up)

Perturabo? PER-tur (like turn without the n)-uh-boh (like bow-ties).

Vulkan? Vul-KUHN. Like the Star Trek ones.

Jaghati? I don't even try. I just look at it and I know what I'm reading. Thankfully I don't bring his name up much in conversations.

P.S. I'm an American from the Pacific Northwest. Your pronunciation of the word examples I gave may differ.
hailene is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Squire's Avatar
Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Korea
Posts: 533
Reputation: 8
Default

When I started out in the hobby as a kid it seemed like I got the majority of words wrong

Tyranids: Tie-ranids
Schaeffer: Skaeffer

I've forgotten all the others but I'm sure they'll come to me

I pronounce Sanguinius - Sang-gween-ius
Perturabo the first way you suggested
Alpharius the second way you suggested

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
Squire is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 01:49 PM
Member
 
Brodingman87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 36
Reputation: 1
Default

Ok, time to mess up some word, I'm from south-east America, please forgive me.

Note: a capitol letter mean I am actually saying the name of that letter.

Mortarion.... mort-air-E-N
Sanguinius... sAng-win-E-S
Perturabo... pert-er-a-bo
Vulkan... vul-can
Jaghati... jag-hate-E
Tyranid... tir-an-id
Schaeffer... sh-A-fer
Ghazghkull... gaz-gull
Astartes... a-star-Tz
C'tan.... ca-tan
Abaddon... ab-a-don
Carnifex... k-R-n-a-f-X
Yarrick... yar-ik
Guilliman... gil-a-men
Iyanden... I-an-den
Sam Hain... sam hAn
Khorne... k-or-n
Slaanesh... sla-ne-sh
Tzentch... Z-n-ch
Nurgle... ner-gul
Gue'vesa'la... g-we-ve-s-a-la
Shas'ui... sha-z-we
Shas'Vre... sha-z-ver
Brodingman87 is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 03:33 PM
JUGGERNUT
 
venomlust's Avatar
venomlust's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,558
Reputation: 32
Default

Skitar-ee-eye
Ca-ta-phrac-tee-eye
Ball-i-star-ee-eye

I couldn't help myself.


SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
venomlust is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
zerachiel76's Avatar
zerachiel76's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 437
Reputation: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
My opinion is probably worthless, but I'll add my 2cents. I have a horrible track record with pronouncing things, so maybe you should look at how I say it and avoid using it.

Mortarion? MOR-tare-ee-on.

Sanguinius? San (sort like sand without the d)-gween-ee-us (short u, like up)

Perturabo? PER-tur (like turn without the n)-uh-boh (like bow-ties).

Vulkan? Vul-KUHN. Like the Star Trek ones.

Jaghati? I don't even try. I just look at it and I know what I'm reading. Thankfully I don't bring his name up much in conversations.

P.S. I'm an American from the Pacific Northwest. Your pronunciation of the word examples I gave may differ.
Thanks and no-one's opinions are worthless I've not actually heard anyone pronounce Perturabo like you so again, all these years thinking it's one way and you've proved it can be pronounced differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
When I started out in the hobby as a kid it seemed like I got the majority of words wrong

Tyranids: Tie-ranids
Schaeffer: Skaeffer

I've forgotten all the others but I'm sure they'll come to me

I pronounce Sanguinius - Sang-gween-ius
Perturabo the first way you suggested
Alpharius the second way you suggested
Ahh now to me Tyranids is Ti (pronounced like tid to rhyme with lid but without the d) - a - nids so thats another one I've got to query with myself now.

Schaeffer for me is shay (to rhyme with gray) - fer
Thanks for your input on the others, I always thought it was San - gwin - ee - us like in the word Sanguine but equally I can see how it's San - gween - ee - us too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodingman87 View Post
Ok, time to mess up some word, I'm from south-east America, please forgive me.

Note: a capitol letter mean I am actually saying the name of that letter.

Mortarion.... mort-air-E-N
Sanguinius... sAng-win-E-S
Perturabo... pert-er-a-bo
Vulkan... vul-can
Jaghati... jag-hate-E
Tyranid... tir-an-id
Schaeffer... sh-A-fer
Ghazghkull... gaz-gull
Astartes... a-star-Tz
C'tan.... ca-tan
Abaddon... ab-a-don
Carnifex... k-R-n-a-f-X
Yarrick... yar-ik
Guilliman... gil-a-men
Iyanden... I-an-den
Sam Hain... sam hAn
Khorne... k-or-n
Slaanesh... sla-ne-sh
Tzentch... Z-n-ch
Nurgle... ner-gul
Gue'vesa'la... g-we-ve-s-a-la
Shas'ui... sha-z-we
Shas'Vre... sha-z-ver
Oh man I don't even try with the Tau words For me Abaddon is A - bad - un but I'm definitely supporting the cuh - tan pronunciation rather than see - tan. I've not heard the jag - hate - ee pronunciation before so that's opened my eyes. The others I pronounce like you even tho I'm from the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomlust View Post
Skitar-ee-eye
Ca-ta-phrac-tee-eye
Ball-i-star-ee-eye

I couldn't help myself.
Oh man, I'd not even thought of these. I have no idea how to pronounce skitarii although when I'm reading my mind reads it as skit - are - ee but I realise that's probably wrong.

Cataphracti in my mind is cat - a - fract - eye but again I have no idea if that's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"
zerachiel76 is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 10:34 PM
Vaz
Senior Member
 
Vaz's Avatar
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 12,830
Reputation: 79
Default

"Yag-hurt-thai" Jaghatai

In regards to things like the latin Skitarii etc, I always thought it was said like "Skit-ahh-ree", similar to how Rome 2 says "Sock-ee" for "Socii". Amusing as it is.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Vaz is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 11:10 PM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerachiel76 View Post
Is Sanguinius pronounced San - gwin - ee - us or san - gween - ee - us or something else entirely?
Sanguine-ee-us seems most likely from the spelling (so Sang-win-ee-us).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerachiel76 View Post
Is Perturabo pronounced Per - ta - rar - bow or per - tor - a - bow or something else entirely?
Pert-ur-rab-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerachiel76 View Post
Is Vulkan pronounced Vul - cun or Vul - karn or something else entirely?
Is Jaghati pronounced Ja - gar - tie or Jag - a - tie?
Vul-cun and Jagga-tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerachiel76 View Post
Following the pronunciation of Mortarion, is Alpharius pronounced Alf - air - ee - us or Al - far - ee - us
I've always gone with alph-A-ree-us, with the emphasis on that middle 'a', but that's the only one I'm not really confident on.

Some I see or do:
Alaitoc - Al-i-tok (seen Alley-a-tok)
Saim-Hann - Syme-Han (I hear Siam Hann or Say-am Hann a lot though)
Roboute Guilliman, which everybody has their own way of saying - Ro-bout Gwill-i-man (heard every variation imaginable, with the most amusing going to the HH Audio Dramas for Ro-booty).
Abaddon - ABBA-don (heard a-BAD-un)
Ghazghkull - Gaz-gull Magger-uck-thracka, running together the middle and last names because the pun kills me every time.
Horus - Whore-uss (heard Hoe-rus and a short o as in 'hot' for Hor-us)
Skitarii - Skit-are-ee-eye (same goes for anything-ii - heard a lot of people pronounce it as 'ee', as in Skit-are-ee)
Belial - Beel-ee-al (I hear Bell-eye-al all the time and for some reason it just really bugs me)

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-15, 03:39 AM
JUGGERNUT
 
venomlust's Avatar
venomlust's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,558
Reputation: 32
Default

I'm no expert in Latin by any means, and in this day and age pronunciation is so inconsequential that it really makes little difference. As far as my education as a biologist and related taxonomy, -ii is ee-eye. Radius, radii and such.


SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
venomlust is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-15, 09:42 AM
Vaz
Senior Member
 
Vaz's Avatar
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 12,830
Reputation: 79
Default

I wouldn't really call any pronunciation inconsequential. While you may not have to converse with people in that language, for the sake of correctness, why would you not speak it correctly?

Then again, you're American. "Soccer"



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Vaz is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome