When did You Stop Caring? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 08:21 AM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

same as nordicus, yeah I care about some parts more then others. but I never stopped caring, I love the fluff even.

!, wait, am I a senior member? or shouldn't I rather count the point where I started playing/reading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 09:43 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I am an easy enough going guy, takes a lot to push me into the red, but Angel Exterminatus was the last straw, if there is a hell for shit books that will be in its foundations. Im back to smoking my hobby dope rather than injecting

post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 11:54 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

There are some things that have made me sneer, like the newer GK/Mordrak/ Draigo fluff, but more at the writers than the universe as a whole. I've enjoyed watching the universe evolve over the last 25 years or so, and will continue to keep up with it. I just wish they'd move it along at a slightly swifter pace.

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 12:02 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I haven't stopped caring. But a lot of things have gone on that's made me a little less interested in following it a rigorously. And to be perfectly honest, a lot of that comes down to Ward. To me he ruined the fluff of the various Astartes chapters so much that it was almost irreparable. But it's nothing on what he did to the Grey Knights. The Knights always used to be this awesome force, not a lot on them, but what little was known was epic. Then Ward comes along, and I don't know, he just seemed to make so many different aspects of them that they somehow ended up losing what made them so unique and bad ass. Then came fucking Draigo.

Other than that though, nothing seems to be happening. Sure the defence of Baal might turn up eventually. But honestly we know the result of that before it starts. There's not a chance in this world that GW would ever kill the Blood Angels off. So in the event they do progress that, expect a healthy amount of Deus Ex Machina to resolve the issue. I doubt they'd even kill off a major character like Dante or Mephiston. Hell they killed Tycho off and he still appears in every codex.

Another turning point for me, was when the 13th Black Crusade campaign didn't end the way they wanted it to, so they just retconned it instead. That really rubbed against me in a bad way.

But yeah, I still follow it, I still care. I'm just a little more jaded about it all since Ward and don't follow it quite so religiously as before.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 12:43 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
I doubt they'd even kill off a major character like Dante or Mephiston.
I would have said the same thing until we saw how they've dealt with the WFB End Times series. They've proved they're willing to wield the axe, and hopefully that axe will be applied to 40k soon.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 01:27 PM

the_barwn's Flag is: Great Britain

It goes round in circles GW seems to spend time & effort in creating an original setting for the history of a chapter or race & then a few years down the line suddenly decides that its not working & changes it but seems to not offer a real reason for doing so...

Yes the original Deathwing history from Space Hulk V1 showing them to be almost Native American was fresh & good to see, explained why they changed the armour to bone.
I kind of struggled to understand the original Blood Angels story where it seems that they lost almost all of the 1st company in a space hulk but never went into much detail.

Yes it did get a bit silly with the whole GK setting with the shennigans that occured, Tau were an oh so bandwagon attempt to grab some anime pie & the Necron changes were imo a good thing because it helped you to work out your own style for your force. We all blame Ward for the pants on head stories that appeared in the codex's but in the end someone had read them & classed them fine to proceed.

Sometimes yes characters do need to be bumped off to advance a story but as we know the time line has not advanced a whole lot in the 30+ yrs it has been around. I just read some of the fluff now as filler & its used to try & pique interest in units that don't normally see the light of day much, only if they don't buff them in the new codex (looking at banshees here).

The whole 13th black crusade was something that those of us who took part in it had great pride in because at the time we were moving the story along & because it didn't work out as wanted it gets dropped thats when I stopped caring

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
"Hey! I just made a full suit of tactical dreadnought armour!"

"Cool! Does it work?"

"Well, my virginity now has a 2+ invulnerable save so yeah, kinda did "
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
There is nothing changing story wise, and even this forum, has the same posts today as it did when I signed up in 2010, just new authors.
Except the 'recovery' and releasing of information that occurred between the Heresy and present time. There are ten thousand years of events that happened and we know of only a fraction, why do people insist we only push the present forward when theres so much left unknown?

Also, as far as this or any forum is concerned. Someone asking a question that was asked one month, year, or edition ago is nothing bad. It simply means that question has not been answered, or the answer eluded their grasp in a search.

I'd rather the question is asked and answered than left unspoken and someone goes on without the information and possibly doing something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haskanael View Post
!, wait, am I a senior member? or shouldn't I rather count the point where I started playing/reading?
The call for only 'senior' members to post is a bit dumb honestly. You could have been playing since rogue trader but only register on this forum today. The title under your name will say junior member, but your possible knowledge and insight could be invaluable. Same goes for someone who's been a member for five years, barely posts or interacts with the hobby, and now has the title of senior member.

Quote:
And to be perfectly honest, a lot of that comes down to Ward.
I'm sorry but fucking no, stop whinging that Ward has ruined the background and fluff. Its not solely his call, and I'm sure he didn't write everything we didn't like. There are others involved, including those who have to agree with the changes made. He clearly isn't the only one responsible, and I doubt all the changes we dislike are all from him. (Are some? Yes. All? No.)

Quote:
Another turning point for me, was when the 13th Black Crusade campaign didn't end the way they wanted it to, so they just retconned it instead. That really rubbed against me in a bad way.
They didn't really retcon it away because the result wasn't what they wanted. In fact, unless I am mistaken, they rather liked the outcome.

Fact is the outcome hasn't technically changed, it just hasn't happened yet (its about to, as opposed to just concluded.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_barwn View Post
We all blame Ward for the pants on head stories that appeared in the codex's but in the end someone had read them & classed them fine to proceed.
Thank the gods, someone else who is actually saying this? Have a rep cookie.

Quote:
as we know the time line has not advanced a whole lot in the 30+ yrs it has been around.
And again, lot of history that hasn't been covered even without moving forward.

Quote:
The whole 13th black crusade was something that those of us who took part in it had great pride in because at the time we were moving the story along & because it didn't work out as wanted it gets dropped thats when I stopped caring
Again, unless I'm mistaken I believe GW liked the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
I would have said the same thing until we saw how they've dealt with the WFB End Times series. They've proved they're willing to wield the axe, and hopefully that axe will be applied to 40k soon.
The problem here is that there are three possible endings to 40k: Chaos wins, Tyranids consume the galaxy, Necrons seal the warp and win. Fantasy really only had one outcome, chaos winning; the warhammer world had an open wound to the realm of chaos in the northern pole (with no way to close it.) And it was only a matter of time before the inhabitants of the warhammer world lost enough ground to chaos, the events of the End Times simply hastened that outcome.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 05:13 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
Information on a fictional universe is power....
I once chatted up a cutie with "Adeo mori servus Imperator fictus; ave Dominus Nox", so you might be surprised

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 05:36 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Tau were an oh so bandwagon attempt to grab some anime pie
I've always heard this...but I never really got this. As an avid anime fan, I don't really see it in the Tau background, troops, or methodology.

Maybe the battlesuits, but those look just as similar--if not more so--to a Mech Warrior elemental suit than any sort of anime mecha.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 06:31 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
I'm sorry but fucking no, stop whinging that Ward has ruined the background and fluff. Its not solely his call, and I'm sure he didn't write everything we didn't like. There are others involved, including those who have to agree with the changes made. He clearly isn't the only one responsible, and I doubt all the changes we dislike are all from him. (Are some? Yes. All? No.)
Fine, I'll blame them too. But the common denominator is Ward. Every single codex of his that I read was dog shit. So yeah, I am going to blame him. You put your name on it, you take the responsibility if it's shit, I'm sorry but that's life, happens in all walks of life. You see military chiefs or CEO's resigning all the time because of a big fuck up. Was it entirely their fault? Highly doubtful, but the point still stands. People can defend Ward all they want, but it's no coincidence that his codexes were the worst and the most negative opinions. So yeah I'm sorry but fucking no as well, I will keep blaming him, if I knew the rest of the team, they could get blamed too, but as I said, you stamp your name on the front, you better be damn certain what your producing isn't the biggest load of shite that GW has ever produced.

As for the Black Crusade, as far as I remember the fluff outcome they gave wasn't accurate to the campaign. Due to the disproportional amount of Space Marine, Eldar and Guard players, the Forces of Order curbstomped the shit out of Chaos to the point where the Crusade would have been a complete failure. Yet GW changed the fluff to show Chaos making a strong foothold in the Cadian system, killing Eldrad and now controlling the Cadian Gate, making the future waves easy access to go. Eldrad isn't dead now, the Cadian Gate is still in the Imperiums hands and the 13th Black Crusade is at the beginnings but Abaddon's forces already sound immensely more powerful than before. The Space Wolves 13th Company have vanished in all traces since the campaign as well.

I don't particularly care about moving forwards, sure it would be nice. But I'd be fine with more background between the Heresy and now. The wars for Armageddon were amazing and I want more like it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode