Damnation of Pythos - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Brother Emund's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Damnation of Pythos

** Contains Spoilers **

Seriously. Is there anyone out there who can motivate me?.

I am currently reading The Horus Heresey "Damnation of Pythos" by David Annandale. I am roughly half-way through and am losing the will to live.

It had potential.
Iron Hands, Raven Guard and Salamander's all working together (just).
An Emperor's Children fleet ambushed and a Battle barge destroyed (although it only made up a few pages of the book). A new world.. a Deathworld no less, to have a play on.

Then...

They land, they get eaten by dinosaurs... kill lots.
Imperial citizens arrive, they get eaten by dinosaurs.
Astartes go in and kill dinosaurs.
Build camp.
Talk a lot.
Kill dinosaurs (including new flying one's).
Have a battle with maggots... yeah, that did happen!
Now They have found something underground... a giant football (methinks) and they want to destroy it.

Is there any point in me reading on because a am literally fed up with all the voices, the bad dreams etc.
Will the Loyalists actually get to kick some bad-boy's backside who is worth kicking?
Does this book actually add anything to the HH timeline?

Did I waste £6.99 buying this book... or is the best yet to come?

"Death occurs when a lethal projectile comes together in time and space with a suitable target, in the absence of appropriate armour or protection”

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Hunted verses the Inquisition: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...98#post2184698

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 07:23 AM

I'm truly sorry for you, man.

As a rule of thumbs, I spoil myself the end of the book because this one seemed to me like some giant fillers of Dragon Ball Z qualities.

If I didn't like the premises of the book or the end of the book, I pass and don't buy it.

But I heard the book is more like an horror story than any other things, for what it's worth.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom wolf View Post
I'm truly sorry for you, man.

As a rule of thumbs, I spoil myself the end of the book because this one seemed to me like some giant fillers of Dragon Ball Z qualities.

If I didn't like the premises of the book or the end of the book, I pass and don't buy it.

But I heard the book is more like an horror story than any other things, for what it's worth.
I am not liking it so far! If I want Horror I will go and read Bram Stokers Dracula!

"Death occurs when a lethal projectile comes together in time and space with a suitable target, in the absence of appropriate armour or protection”

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Hunted verses the Inquisition: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...98#post2184698

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Emund View Post
I am not liking it so far! If I want Horror I will go and read Bram Stokers Dracula!
That's exaclty what I've said to myself before not buying it.

Sorry, bro !
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 07:21 PM

zerachiel76's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's the new worst book of the series. It doesn't fit into 40K much at all really apart from the space marines. It's truly an awful book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-15, 06:35 AM
Craw-Daddy

Its one of those books, you look at the cover and you go... yeah thats alright. I'm good. Unless your collecting novels then it was a waste.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-15, 02:42 PM

Bought it. Read it. Hated it. One of the worst books ive read. and ive read the entire heresy, almost all of the imperial space marine battle novels, all of the End Times, Time of Legends etc.

Already, you exalt me for my triumphs, When I ask only that you remember me for my treacheries

Victory is nothing more than survival.
It carries no weight of honour or worth beyond what we ascribe to it.
If you wish to grow wise, learn why brothers betray brothers. - Khyron, First Grand Master of the Eighth Brotherhood.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-15, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Yep, it is official. Although I persevered until the end, I can categorically confirm that This book is the worst HH book out of the lot. I should have saved my money..

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-15, 02:02 AM

Scrad's Flag is: Australia

Reading this hurt my head and I really don't want to have to start wearing a helmet while reading.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-15, 03:36 PM

Damnation of Pythos was seriously beyond pointless. It did nothing whatsoever to advance the story of the HH, and was a terrible novel in its own right. As entertaining as the idea of Godzilla fighting a bunch of Greater Daemons is, you'd think it'd be more fun to read about.

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war, an eternity of slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods. I'm telling you man, this is a really shitty time to be alive." -Primarch Stan Wolkowski, Sons of Stan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode