Purge me of this Heresy brothers...... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Default Purge me of this Heresy brothers......

So after reading and enjoying several imperial guard novels...(gunheads, deathworld, rebel winter, etc etc) I. Eagerly decided to dive into what everyone seems to be saying is the crown jewel of IG stories....the Gaunts Ghosts series.

Three fourths of the way through the first book I am hating it.

I find myself really despising Gaunt as a Mary Sue, and not really caring about his secret mission to recover the ...yawn...I don't even care what it was.....

Most of all I'm hating the stupid ass rivalry with the Jantine Patricians who are nothing more than 2 dimensional evil cutout evil-doers. Why are they feuding? It seems only because Gaunt is the good guy and therefore they hate him.

Oh and apparently IG regiments shooting each other is ok with high command. Yawn. No wonder we're losing this galaxy.

I really want to like this series....especially since I already bought the next three novels...but so far I'm not feeling it brothers. I find myself wanting to re read Rebel Winter and caring about the Vostroyan firstborn more than the boys from Tanith.

What do you say? Exterminatus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 08:12 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ95 View Post
everyone seems to be saying is the crown jewel of IG stories....the Gaunts Ghosts series
this everyone is a delusional everyone
The general level of GW stories is meh.
Gaunt Ghost is good. And that should give you an hint! I think however that the storyes are better in my memory than on the actual pages, i fear...

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 09:44 AM

The first two are the weakest, especially the first one. Number two is a composite fo short stories which are ok but not jaw dropping.It gets really good in Necropolis. Builds an epic scope, new characters that make things more colourful and the darkness settles in better.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
The general level of GW stories is meh.
WHAT ?

HERESY !! BURN BURN BURN !!!

Just kidding...

Dan Abnett is one of the best, but that doesn't make it that good on all his novel. I suspect he accepted to work for GW mainly for the cashflow more than for the love of the hobby or the fluff.

He can be clumsy, tough beyond that, his writing quality his quite good. (He's a professional writer, after all.) but sometimes, he's strangely ripping off other's people work.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 01:15 PM

yes, i like dan abnett in comparison to others writers. Fact is, i struggled to end his novels and i normally leave unfinished all the others BL books. They just can't...it's a good read, when you are 15 or so. But after then, you just enjoy some sparse moment of good writing and the setting, most of all.

Quote:
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 01:46 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

First & Only isn't all that bad.

Ghostmaker is all the original short stories bound together as "memories" to fill out what is a relatively short main story.

Now, Necropolis is where the fun begins! A full on Hive-War? Yes please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post

yes, i like dan abnett in comparison to others writers. Fact is, i struggled to end his novels and i normally leave unfinished all the others BL books. They just can't...it's a good read, when you are 15 or so. But after then, you just enjoy some sparse moment of good writing and the setting, most of all.
Hey ! You want really bad novels ? Just try any random BL books, preferably by Swallows, or maybe Annandale or French on one of his bad days, then translate it, in french, by someone who doesn't talk french as his native language in the first place...

After that, you will believe there's chaos gods out there !

That's THE reason why I started reading Horus Heresy in english...
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom wolf View Post
Hey ! You want really bad novels ? Just try any random BL books, preferably by Swallows, or maybe Annandale or French on one of his bad days, then translate it, in french, by someone who doesn't talk french as his native language in the first place...
i guess it will be only half as painful as reading A SOng of FIre and Ice in italian...

Quote:
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 07:00 PM
Rattlehead

Yeah, the first two books are a bit meh in my opinion - the real gold is The Saint story arc (books 4-8, I think), personally, although a couple of the later ones are equally as good (Traitor General and Only In Death are both very solid - very seldom I shed a tear over a book but the ending of Only in Death? Fuuuuuuck). If you think Gaunt's a Mary Sue in the first few, you'll probably like the later books more, especially Armour of Contempt (which has a bitching trial scene in it when Gaunt's put on trial for chaos corruption). Hell, he has some pretty major flaws in Honour Guard.

I still think Ciaphas Cain is the best IG series though.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 04-29-15 at 07:03 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 08:12 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Yeah it definitely takes a significant increase in quality from Necropolis onwards. The Saint arc as other have said is probably the best, but the ones that come after are still very good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode