Purge me of this Heresy brothers...... - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-15, 08:26 AM

I think that's kind of the point though, there's millions of rag tag guard units who are extremely competent at their jobs. There's also millions of guard units who are made up of nobles looking only to use that uniform to increase their social standing.

Even in the face of certain annihilation people are still going to fight each other it's a crapsack world and nothing is going to change that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-15, 12:59 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ95 View Post
Snip
As far as I can remember, this sort of thing doesn't happen again in any of the other novels. You may even end up liking some of the Blue Bloods, despite their overwhelming arrogance. Gilbear for instance grew on me eventually, he grew on Gaunt as well for that matter. But no, I'm thinking my way through all the novels and I can't recall any more instances of Regiments turning on each other.

Again, get through Ghostmaker and onto Necropolis, then it really starts to bring the other big Ghosts characters to bear and adds a lot to the story, the like of Varl, Criid, Bonin, Kolea, Curth etc etc. I really do think the dynamic takes a drastic shift from book three, and it's much better for it.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-15, 06:38 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-15, 06:54 AM

Garrak's Flag is: Romania

The artilerry is the last time we see something like that, I think. You might dislike a certain bit with the PDF Commissars in Necropolis but I wasn't bothered by it - idiots fighting to sit in the big chair while the house is burning around them are easy to find (sadly). There are still plenty of bits were Gaunt and the Tanith are looked down upon but that's as far as it goes.

It's really with Necropolis that the cast get's bigger and more interesting things happen. The battles they face are also more diverse:

(no real spoilers, just what each book focuses on battle wise)

Follow me and I shall give you victory or glorious martyrdom! For the Emperor!
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-15, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the replies....even the ones I disagree with.

Again, Its not the rivalries that bother me but the blatant acts of friendly fire which to my mind would be a heinous act swiftly punished by comisars for wasting the emperors resources on personal pettiness.

That said, I will return to Guant eventually but in the meantime I have skipped over to Cadian Blood and am enjoying it immensly thus far.

Thank you for your opinions.

Ave imperator.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-15, 06:40 PM

CJ95, I would suggest reading the Caiphas Cain series.

Already, you exalt me for my triumphs, When I ask only that you remember me for my treacheries

Victory is nothing more than survival.
It carries no weight of honour or worth beyond what we ascribe to it.
If you wish to grow wise, learn why brothers betray brothers. - Khyron, First Grand Master of the Eighth Brotherhood.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-15, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ95 View Post
Again, Its not the rivalries that bother me but the blatant acts of friendly fire which to my mind would be a heinous act swiftly punished by comisars for wasting the emperors resources on personal pettiness.
Unless I am mistaken, its been a while since I read Ghostmaker, wasn't the knowledge that the Ghosts were in that location known to only a small number of Volpone? If thats the fase, then Sturmm attempting to eliminate a potential rival (because thats what Gaunts reputation allows him to be) without fear of recrimination. After all, the characters in the story don't know everything you the reader does so its not like Gaunt could prove that the bombardment was intentional.

Also, didn't Heldaine give the Patricians permission to go after the Ghosts?

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-06-15, 01:45 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I really don't see why the intra-Crusade rivalries are such a deal-breaker. "Allies" have been betraying and fighting each other for millennia now. Peucestas sold out Eumenes by holding his cavalry back at the battle of Gabiene. Julius Caesar fought his erstwhile ally, Pompey, and then Octavian and Mark Anthony played a game of alliance-and-betrayal. Countless soldiers died as a result of such rivalries and duplicities, often without ever knowing the reason why.

This wasn't simply a case of the Jantine Patricians being jerks to the blue-collar Tanith. Hechtor Dravere, their patron for some time, wanted to become Warmaster and take over the Sabbat Crusade. Drake Flense wanted to avenge his father. Ibram Gaunt was their mutual enemy, and the Tanith First-and-Only were in their way.

The bit with the Volpone "Bluebloods" is, admittedly, more awkward. General Notches Sturm never really gives a better reason for wanting to wipe out the Ghosts other than they are an embarrassment to the current Warmaster, Macaroth... but we later find out that the Volpone can be a somewhat imbalanced lot (see the Sabbat Crusade anthology)... so who knows what was going on behind the scenes.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-15, 09:11 PM

I'd throw a full can of Bud Light into the back of your head for this post.

Last edited by CJay; 05-25-15 at 07:54 PM.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-15, 05:45 PM

Brother Emund's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
I'd through a full can of Bud Light into the back of your head for this post.
THROW!

"Death occurs when a lethal projectile comes together in time and space with a suitable target, in the absence of appropriate armour or protection”

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Hunted verses the Inquisition: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...98#post2184698

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode