Purge me of this Heresy brothers...... - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 08:35 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

It hasn't aged well. The Gaunts Ghost books are fantastic for when you're getting used to series, but Abnett's writing improved slowly. He learns from his mistakes, and the characters improve.

Admittedly, when THE death occurs (you can see it a mile off), you unfortunately see through it as simply being an author flexing their muscles to show that their characters can die.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 08:48 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
It hasn't aged well. The Gaunts Ghost books are fantastic for when you're getting used to series, but Abnett's writing improved slowly. He learns from his mistakes, and the characters improve.

Admittedly, when THE death occurs (you can see it a mile off), you unfortunately see through it as simply being an author flexing their muscles to show that their characters can die.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Well I understand tha most BL stuff is supposed to be on the lite side.

I'm not expecting War and Peace here, but I do like my antagonists a little more developed and not quite so single minded.

Finally finished first book and....meh. A little reference to Dune thrown in at the end did little to help it.

Sitting here looking at a choice between Ghostmaker and Cadian Blood for my next bit of fluff.

Decisions decisions....

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 11:26 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Cadian Blood is pretty meh-tastic. Like, pretty much generic Guard junk.

If you're really hurting, you can jump to Necropolis. That's actually where I started. It's pretty good. There's a few references to Ghostmaker, but nothing dealbreaking. You can read Necropolis.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

SPOILERS

Okay....against my better judgement i started into Ghostmaker. For a while all is good, I am enjoying the flashback vignettes and the assault on the waterworks on Voltemand.

And then it happens......again.......big rich snooty Regiment orders their artillery to bombard the position of Gaunts Ghosts because...

Because...?

Because hell if I know why. No reason is ever given why.

Two books in a row have rich snooty IG regiments attempt to kill their own allies for no reason whatsoever other than the fact that they are rich and snooty and therefore evil.

Tell me now brothers....in the rest of the Gaunt series does it always come down to the IG attacking itself, because if so Ill stop reading right now.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 11:41 PM

Ill cast my vote for enjoying The first Gaunts Ghosts novel. I never saw Gaunt as a Mary Sue in that book.

He doesn't really do anything super fantastic that is not supposed to be done by great Commissars.

Also the Jantine Patricians are arrogant @$$holes which is why they dont get along with Gaunt. This goes right into Dravare, who is both arrogant and ambitious and so doesn't care about his troops as long as he wins in the end.

Dravare is no different from one of the "Friendly Generals" in Rebel Winter who has the spider legs and is amibtious and doesnt care about his troops, though not to the extant that Dravare does.

Also Dravare is noted to be both pompous and highly influential due to family connections IRRC.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-15, 12:48 AM
Craw-Daddy

Not a huge fan, but in my opinion there's so much that can be done by trying to make regular beings extraordinary. It's really hard for me to read some of this type of stuff and not roll my eyes. But it is what it is, and you should kind of expect it when you picked it up. I guess there's just so much you can take. I can accept some words of what he tries to do when he moved some concepts to heresy novels. Otherwise I couldn't finish the series even though many of my friends really liked it. I actually feel ashamed because it's not like me to just give up on something I read even if I despise it.

I figure it's a matter of taste because everytime I discuss BL novels with my friends, that series always gets mentioned and I hear very positive things about it.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-15, 01:19 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ95 View Post
And then it happens......again.......big rich snooty Regiment orders their artillery to bombard the position of Gaunts Ghosts because...
I thought it was stated pretty clearly? Gaunt's long known emphasis for valuing the lives of his men (note, that the Patricians consider them savages not worth saving) is grating. It's like someone urging you to save your feces for a compost heap...over and over and over again.

Then of course these same piles of shit do something your own vaunted Patricians can't do. That hurts your pride.

Are these commanders upstanding individuals? Hell no. Is it reasonable for a universe to have such men? I think so.

We might look down on these men as unreasonable, but even a few centuries (for some of us, even less!) we were buying and selling people in our own countries and sometimes literally working them to death.

It's about perspective, I suppose.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-15, 02:38 AM

Scrad's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ95 View Post
Most of all I'm hating the stupid ass rivalry with the Jantine Patricians who are nothing more than 2 dimensional evil cutout evil-doers. Why are they feuding? It seems only because Gaunt is the good guy and therefore they hate him.
Isn't it First-and-Only that has a flashback arc spaced in-between chapters to explicitly explain this particular feud? You're missing out if you didn't finish this. Valuable backstory into Gaunt.

Agreeing that Abnett's skills steadily improved through the GG series - though the first few novels aren't bad, they're just outclassed by later writing. Gaunt4ever
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-15, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofyoofy View Post
Dravare is no different from one of the "Friendly Generals" in Rebel Winter who has the spider legs and is amibtious and doesnt care about his troops, though not to the extant that Dravare does.

Also Dravare is noted to be both pompous and highly influential due to family connections IRRC.

Im glad you brought up the Vostroyan General in Rebel Winter, because it helps me explain what Im finding so annoying.

I have no problem with rich, snooty, arrogant, pompous, or influential badguys. No problem at all. I do have a problem with baddies who undertake stupid actions that serve no purpose or are extreme overreactions to what the situation called for.

In Rebel Winter the General ordered the heroes to stay behind in an untenable position to cover the retreat of fellow guardsmen. It was a suicide mission true, but one that was called for by the situation at hand.

I accept this as a crappy thing to do, but allowable.

What he did not do was, in the face of massive ork opposition, choose to ignore the true enemy and instead lead loyal Imperial Guard Regiments into an all out attack on the Vostroyan First born.

That would have been insanity.

This is the difference between that story and Gaunt (So far)

I can handle the Ghosts and Patricians having a feud, and I can handle enmity, rivalries, and a few broken bones in that feud.

What I cannot handle is one Guard Regiment blatantly and openly attacking another on the field of battle in the midst of an ongoing planetary campaign, totally ignoring the real enemy to do so.

That's not being a badguy...that's being dumb and completely inappropriately overreacting to the situation.

Similarly with Ghostmaker:

I can handle the rich snooty Bluebloods being annoyed at the scuzzy ghosts. I can believe them being embarrassed at how they succeeded in breaching the lines.

Again, what I cannot handle is them somehow making the leap from annoyance to 'lets call in an artillery strike on our own army just because they don't have good table manners.'

Im sorry, but there are a millions of freaking rag-tag units in the Imperial Guard, and if the few rich ones get their noses bent out of shape every time they get posted nearby...well that's a lot of friendly fire incidents waiting to happen.

(By the way...Jantine PATRICIANS.....Royal 50th BLUE BLOODS.....even the regimental names are synonyms for rich and snooty.)

Now I admit I am just starting the series, and am not aware of things to come, but seeing the same moronic plot device back to back in the first two books just made me shake my head.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode