Legion with the least background info - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Default Legion with the least background info

I wanted to start my time here off with a question posed to you fine folk.

What legion has the least written about them, as in said legions background not being fleshed out?

I have read about half of the hours heresy books but due to extensive forum lurking i know what happens in most of them .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 04:35 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Hrm, id say the Death Guard as the legion with the least exposure beyond a few choice names. Flight of the Eisenstein was mainly about Garro and his band. Morty had some brief cameos in Vengeful Spirit and Scars, then its mainly been Typhus running the show for the legion in a couple shorts.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 04-21-15 at 04:37 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 05:31 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

At this point I would say the II and XI share the least amount of fluff

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 06:06 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Outside the second and eleventh Legions (which don't count, Over Two Meters Tall! :p), I think the Alpha Legion has the least.

We really don't know much. And what we know we should take with a truck load of salt.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 11:04 PM

Any legion with a Forgeworld HH write-up is pretty much excluded immediately. Personally, I would say the Blood Angels, as unlike Scars or the Dark Angels novels, Fear to Tread really didn't have any focus on the operation of the legion, and so I say Blood Angels as a legion have the least background.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareddm View Post
Any legion with a Forgeworld HH write-up is pretty much excluded immediately. Personally, I would say the Blood Angels, as unlike Scars or the Dark Angels novels, Fear to Tread really didn't have any focus on the operation of the legion, and so I say Blood Angels as a legion have the least background.
The Forgeworld book for the Alpha Legion, if anything, casts further doubts on what information we had. Like the actual meeting of Alpharius and the Imperium. One of the few nuggets of information we had...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 11:51 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing. All Alpha Legion information should be cast in doubt. That's a cornerstone of the entire legion. Everything about them is layered over itself, with small bits of truth sprinkled throughout the rumors.

What the FW HH write-up makes abundantly clear is that there's two major sides to the Alpha Legion. The side who stays hidden and disguises themselves as others, performing more covert operations, but just as large is the side that makes themselves extremely visible, with bright colors, heraldry and large formations, to act as the face of the legion. This is not anything that was previously known.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-15, 12:16 AM

Quote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.
I'm not. It's in response to...
Quote:
Any legion with a Forgeworld HH write-up is pretty much excluded immediately.
We got an AL FW write up and pretty much, overall, end up with less information than we started with.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-15, 08:29 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

I can't really fairly judge the AL because I've gone out of my way to find out as much as I can about them. That said, a great deal of their fluff essentially tells us how little is known about them. Then again, (paradoxically?) the fluff about them being a mystery is their fluff so perhaps it does count

The Blood Angels are a decent shout as far as 30k goes but I can't see how a legion with its own codex for as long as I remember (back to 99), plenty of models and several 40k Black Library books can have less background than the Alpha Legion or Death Guard

With the Death Guard a lot of their 40k related fluff that I know of is really just fluff describing Nurgle and doesn't say a great deal about them as a legion.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-15, 01:01 PM

Here's my top 3.

1. Death Guard.
2. Imperial Fist.
3. Blood angels/White Scar.

AL doesn't really count as it is their schtick of being an unknown matter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode