Spacemarine, related question - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-15, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Default Spacemarine, related question

Hello again, first post in ages.

Last night while watching the movie "Live Die Repeat" or "Edge of tomorrow" whichever title takes your fancy.

So yes back to the question, throughout the movie they posed the question of the Exo Suits, running on a disposable battery able to be replaced when needed. This raised the idea of Spacemarine power armour and the power source need for them. From my understanding the spacemarines have someform of nuclear or fusion reactor to power the armour, enhancing the marine and protecting them.

So the question is thus; how long does a spacemarines armour remain powered in times of action or combat. It is impossible in reality to have any kind of unlimited power, so either this nuclear power via plutonium or uranium which eventually will run out, then fusion with detrilium(?) or something similar. Certainly the power lasts a long time but how long is there anything in the fluff i haven't seen.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-15, 12:25 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Although it can hardly be taken as fact, it was a interesting question so I looked it up on the wiki. It states the following, regarding the Mark VII:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40k Wiki
The reserve power source can be recharged via the solar panel, and when fully charged should provide enough power to last for a standard month (as long as all non-vital systems are disabled) without the need for major maintenance or resupply.
I don't know if any of the other marks have a different system.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-15, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

That is an interesting point, that seems to point at some form of battery in addition to or in compaison to a thermal system in the form of a nuclear reactor of some kind.

And you certainly are correct with guessing that oher styles may be even more varied, depending on the use.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-15, 02:07 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

It is quite subjective, one of the mark of calth stories, had a marine come across other dead marines on the surface who had died at the outbreak of the battle several years previous and he could still hear the hum off their power armour, again depending on authour and their particular view or their favorite mk of armor or how they want to fill a hole in their story you would get diffetent answers. Personally, I would go with what @Nordicus posted up, sounds "reasonable" for the 40k universe

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-15, 03:50 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

5I couldn't find any sources that say power armor has anything related to solar panels. I don't think the wiki lists one specifically.

My gut instinct is to say it's a fan idea that got bounced around and ended up on the wiki. I might be biased since I don't really trust the wiki (hence my looking through sources). If someone could find the original source (if any), that'd be great. I tried and failed.

For all intents and purposes, a fusion generator would likely be able to last essentially indefinitely.

(Side note, if you liked "Edge of Tomorrow" go read the original novel it is based on. It's called "All You Need is Kill". It's originally Japanese, but there's an official English translation of the book. I liked the book a lot more. Compare Rita in the book to the movie Rita. Particularly their first real interaction (when Rita finds "Cage" on the beach and takes his battery).

Last edited by hailene; 03-02-15 at 04:00 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-15, 03:52 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

I know they can charge in between/enroute to missions aboard thunderhawks.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-15, 08:48 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

This is all very green-sounding, but then WTF with the exhaust pipes at the top of the pack? My understanding was the armor ran on an incredibly efficient promethium engine.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-15, 11:34 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
I know they can charge in between/enroute to missions aboard thunderhawks.
Where did they do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Two Meters Tall! View Post
This is all very green-sounding, but then WTF with the exhaust pipes at the top of the pack? My understanding was the armor ran on an incredibly efficient promethium engine.
It's to vent heat.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-15, 03:09 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
Where did they do this?

It's to vent heat.
I can't recall the novel/short story I read it from but I'm sure someone can.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-15, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
I can't recall the novel/short story I read it from but I'm sure someone can.
Im not sure if its the same novel as you read but I'm pretty sure they did this in DA novels by Gav Thorpe , I read them all one after another so some details got mixed up but I'm sure they did it in one or more novels. Was it Angel of Darkness or Ravenwing i can't recall. Also i always assumed that power armor was electrically powered rather than have a reactor on the back. Seems quite dangerous to have something so unstable on a field of battle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode