Could Kh¯rn be a perpetual? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-15, 09:28 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoL Berzerker View Post
I would not exactly say that Kharn is a perpetual, simply favored. It is stated that Kharn died on Terra and his lifeless body was brought back aboard the ship, but it is never stated he died on Istvaan III. I would rule this more as his gods favor than being a perpetual.

Outside of the established perpetuals, I would argue Justicar Thawn of the Grey Knights is in fact a perpetual. Unlike Kharn and Lucius, he has no god who favors him, he is brought back time and time again for seemingly no reason... Other than buffing the grey Knight fluff.
He is a perpetual
From the short story: The Ghost Halls
The spiritseer’s haste was evident. Returned to his own craftworld and with the waystones of Malan’tai restored to the infinity circuit, he now made for the farseer enclave. He alone had been made emissary for the council. The message that he bore was simple, but filled with grave import. They would need to know. ‘The mon-keigh have rediscovered the last Perpetual – Anval Thawn has ascended to the ranks of the Grey Knights. I await your guidance.’
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-15, 10:23 PM
Rattlehead

The 7th edition Codex: Grey Knights mentions nothing about Thawn being a Perpetual - he's simply stated as dying at the hands of N'kari during the cleansing of Malan'tai.

I'd also question the author of this Ghost Halls on his knowledge of Grey Knight fluff - it's fairly important in their lore that Grey Knights get their identities completely broken down and rebuilt with a new name given to them that is the counterpart to a particular Daemon's true name.

On the other hand, there are multiple Anval Thawns, more than one of whom I'm sure is promoted to Justicar.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-15, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

zerachiel76's Flag is: United Kingdom

Wow, I didn't think I'd get so many responses. Thanks everyone. I'd not thought about Lucius so thanks for pointing him out as well. Well I hope the question is settled one way or the other in the battle for Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-15, 10:58 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
The 7th edition Codex: Grey Knights mentions nothing about Thawn being a Perpetual - he's simply stated as dying at the hands of N'kari during the cleansing of Malan'tai.

I'd also question the author of this Ghost Halls on his knowledge of Grey Knight fluff - it's fairly important in their lore that Grey Knights get their identities completely broken down and rebuilt with a new name given to them that is the counterpart to a particular Daemon's true name.

On the other hand, there are multiple Anval Thawns, more than one of whom I'm sure is promoted to Justicar.
Its Laurie Goulding whom wrote The Ghost Halls. They also did the recent Incorruptible and Mortarions Heart.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-15, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoL Berzerker View Post
I would not exactly say that Kharn is a perpetual, simply favored. It is stated that Kharn died on Terra and his lifeless body was brought back aboard the ship, but it is never stated he died on Istvaan III. I would rule this more as his gods favor than being a perpetual.

Outside of the established perpetuals, I would argue Justicar Thawn of the Grey Knights is in fact a perpetual. Unlike Kharn and Lucius, he has no god who favors him, he is brought back time and time again for seemingly no reason... Other than buffing the grey Knight fluff.
I don't remember where but there was a tidbit that went into exactly what being a perpetual meant to thrawn. It had something to do with survivors guilt.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-15, 12:25 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

I think it was hinted at that Oll was a part of the Argonites (on the ship Argo) as well. I wouldn't call Khārn or Lucius a Perpetual, as I would say they are a breed of their own with traits that remind of those of the perpetuals. I believe in Vulkan Lives (which I haven't read yet) it is hinted at that the Emperor is an Perpetual and that as all his sons got a trait of the Emperor. Vulkan got his undying Perpetual abillity.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-15, 03:19 PM

I don't think being a Perpetual is a real thing. I think its their term to describe being an immortal. Grammaticus describes himself as being "artificial" while Ollie is an organic perpetual. Kharn however is not a perpetual. He has the favor or Khorne and therefore is there is warp power that is sponsoring his vitality. The same is true of Lucius who is more of a parasite than an immortal. I don't believe that the Emperor is a human being in the sense as we perceive it. I think he is a power that inhabited a man or a man who evolved into a power. His physical appearance is based on perception and not reality which Lorgar described as "facelessness."

While being a perpetual has not been defined, I think it is a general term for immortals but this does not describe a lot of the immortals we see. While I believe the Saints are perpetuals and so is Ollie, that's it. The Emperor is something else and I don't believe the term human describes it. The fact that creatures from the warp that have observed and focused on humanity for countless eons describe him as not human is extremely telling. Creatures bred from human emotion would know a human when they saw one because of possible possession, summoning, and seduction potentials. They look at the Emperor and see something else entirely than a human and I don't think it's just the power. He possessed Malcador to speak with his son Corax. His face and body take different shapes and sizes to where his own genetic progeny can barely perceive his true visage. I'm waiting for the novel or codex that explains that.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-15, 04:20 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Fisherman View Post
This.

Even if the empy gets disconnected from the GT for a second the Astronomical will fade out and thousands of ships will be immediately lost in the warp for ever. The daemons will take over Terra and slaughter everyone in their path. It's a nutshell.
Off-topic from the OP, but the Emperor directs the Astronomican, while the thousands of psykers sacrificed every day actually provide the raw power. That being the case, I wonder about the Astronomican fading if the Emperor is removed from the Golden Throne, or if it would still be relatively visible from the Warp.

It might be a moot point considering how close the City of Silence is to the GT, and the daemons would most certainly see all those bright psychic beacons like a stoner with a buffet.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-15, 09:16 PM

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Asterion_Moloc

Asterion Moloc appears to be a perpetual as well.

There are apparently seven different events where he was reported killed in action yet his body was recovered alive. Could just be luck that he managed to survive seven times on the brink of death though.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-15, 09:38 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

ffs. Anything where some one comes back from the dead theyare automatically a perpetual? No.

Just stop it.

Moloc is the cover used by several Chapter Masters of the Minotaurs as his Dread Reputation is the worth more than him being allowed to be known as killed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode